Cany anyone do me a favour, and find baptism details etc for a:

John Thomas Morton, born around 1828 Oxford Street, Hanover Sq, London

Mother Elizabeth.

Thanks

Name: John Thomas Morton
    Mother: Elizabeth Morton
    Father: John Morton
    4 Apr 1830 - Westminster, London
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 30-03-10, 22:31.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor, that could be him, is there a fathers occupation at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        Thanks Trevor, that could be him, is there a fathers occupation at all?
        Too poor to read

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks anyway Trevor. I have a feeling he might be illegitimate in any case, as he is on all census 1841 on alone with his mother, and they are buried together, no sign of a father, and can't find any likely marriage for a John Morton and Elizabeth in London.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            Thanks anyway Trevor. I have a feeling he might be illegitimate in any case, as he is on all census 1841 on alone with his mother, and they are buried together, no sign of a father, and can't find any likely marriage for a John Morton and Elizabeth in London.
            It looks like abode of father is Great Chesterfield, this is in Hertfordshire, near Bishop's Stortford.
            Profession could be Baker

Researching:

Comment

Great Chesterford, perhaps?
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John
                mine was a typo [late night]

Trev

Researching:

Comment

Looking at the image I think it is 'Chesterfield'. On google maps, there is a 'Chesterfield Street' in Westminster today, I wonder if it refers to this, and that it may have previously been 'Gt Chesterfield Street'. Edit: solved.
                  Last edited by Richard; 31-03-10, 20:12.

Comment

It is "Great Chesterfield Street" now renamed 'Wheatley Street", Marylebone parish.

Comment

Glad to have provided you with one more piece of your Jigsaw.

I have the same thing in my Poole line.
                      My Gt Grandfather Denis Poole was born in the workhouse, no father's name on the birth certificate and the records for that workhouse were destroyed in a fire.

Two possible fathers, but no way of confirming this.

Researching:

Comment

Do appreciate it Trevor.

I think I may have actually been wrong about him being illegitimate, I have noticed on the Census his auntie is in the house with them twice, and has same birth place as the mother 'Tottenham'. She is single and surname 'Davies'. I cannot find a marriage on IGI for a 'John Morton' and "Elizabeth Davies". I think that baptism is likely his, he gives his birth place as Oxford Street, and St George Hanover Square on the census, and 'Great Chesterfield Street" is fairly near to both. Only slight niggle is that baptism seems to suggest a baby born that year March 1830. He is very consistent on his age on all the census which puts it more 1827/28. He was down as 69 on his death cert in Sep 1897.

He seems very attached to the 'Morton' name as he named his daughter Esther Morton Morton. At first I thought this must be an error, but it is on both her birth and marriage certs. It then dawned on me he must have done this so she would keep his name even after marriage...foward thinking man obviously! Whether this was because of his attatchment or to ensure she got her share of any inheritence smoothly (he left a fortune of roughly 42 million in todays money!) I can't be sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X