Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILLIAM DORTON 1798 Bethnal Green

Hello Everyone

I have a dilemma, which has only just come to light.

There are 2 William Dorton's chr in 1798 on the IGI. I know my William, a Silk Weaver, was married to Jane Kerr in 1818 and she died in 1851 just before the census.

In 1841 for Park Street [HO/107/692/5/2] William is aged 44 their son William is 8.

In 1851 at 11 Park Street
    [HO/107/1540/540/29] William is 55 a widower and his son is aged 18.

In 1861 at 22 Park Street [RG 9/256/3/16]
    I have a William Dorton 65, widower married in 1859 to Sarah Cushway a widow and that William's son William is aged 21.

My problem is are they the same William Dorton?

I have been following a William Dorton with parents William & Sarah nee Read
    On the second marriage cert William names his father as John.

Any ideas how I can discover the correct William please??

Regards Nona
    Last edited by Nona; 30-03-10, 14:44.
    ;D NONA
    VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
    PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

I'd say it is the same family with the adress being so similar. The sons age does look like 21 on the 1861 image, but it has been struck through with the black marker, so can't be certain. If the father on William sr remarraige is down as John, I would have thought this is the William baptised to John Dorton and mary, rather than William and Sarah in 1798.

Comment

I have another reason for thinking your William is the son of John. As I understand it from the Census the two William Dortons Christened 1798 were cousins?

John Dorton (born 1765 to John Dorton +Priscilla)+ Mary Goffee, married 1787
      1788 Mary Dorton
      1793 John Dorton
      1798 William Dorton

William Dorton (born 1771 to John Dorton +Priscilla) +Sarah Read

1798 William Dorton
      1800 Mary Dorton
      1803 Elizabeth Dorton
      1805 John Thomas Dorton
      1809 Mary Dorton

The two Johns can also be found on the census, the elder one, son of John Dorton and Mary Goffee, is like William a Silk Weaver, living at Mead Street on the 'Old Nichol' in Bethnal Green. The younger John, his cousin, son of William Dorton and Sarah Read, is a licensed victualler at the Black Boy Public House in Bethnal Green. I'd suggest William is then more likely the brother to the first, and also a son of John Dorton and Mary Goffee (which his marriage cert seems to confirm). What is the occupation he gives for his father? My thinking is they learnt the silk weaving trade through their mother, the Goffees at least, certainly being a French Huguenot Weaving family.

Comment

Hi Richard

Thank you so much for sorting it all out for me. I have all the details, probably too much to sort out on the computer. May be good old fashioned paper would have been easier.

I had a feeling he would be the same William but his son's age was the catalyst although the family do

join up further back so no problems really.

You have put it very succinctly and now it make sense. I think I was too close to all the information that I got a bit overwhelmed :-)

Regards Nona
        ;D NONA
        VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
        PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Comment

Hi Richard

On the marriage cert to Sarah Cushway, William states his father JOHN is a Weaver too. My husband thinks his son William could be 26 rather than 21 because of the strike through.

Regards
          ;D NONA

Comment

Not sure if this is connected to John the cousin - there is this from 1893 in the London Gazette -
            "and William Dorton, of High-road, Leytonstone, in the
            county of Essex, formerly of the Royal Hotel, Leytonstone,
            Stratford, in the said county of Essex, Licensed
            Victualler"

Comment

Originally posted by Nona View Post
              Hi Richard

On the marriage cert to Sarah Cushway, William states his father JOHN is a Weaver too. My husband thinks his son William could be 26 rather than 21 because of the strike through.

Regards
              Hello Nona

That crossed my mind too it might be 26. Not so far from 28 then, and ages were a bit flexible. Funnily enough there is a trial on the Old Bailey of a John Dorton, 1722, where they had to bring in French jurors and an interpreter for him, so possible they were originally a Huguenot family too, though I can't find any trace of them amongst the Huguenot discs I have.

Comment

I think this may be the same as that William Dorton, Naomi running the Railway Tavern in Stratford 1878-1884 approx. A John Dorton listed as running it before him 1874

Maybe a son to John Thomas Dorton 1805?

Funnily enough my own g-g grandfather ran the Marylands Arms, Stratford 1878-1898, almost exactly the same time, this is 2 minutes walk, a street and a half away from the Railway Tavern in Angel Road. Wonder if they knew eachother?

Comment

Seems to be a whole dynasty of Dorton Publicans! As well as the Railway Tavern in Stratford they are listed also at least ten other pubs 1852-1925

John Dorton 1852

John Dorton 1867-1874

William Dorton 1886

William Dorton 1886-1890

William Dorton 1903-1912

Herbert Nicholson Dorton 1906-1910

Herbert Nicholas Dorton 1912

Douglas Dorton 1912-1917

George Douglas Dorton 1917

Mrs. Alice Maud Dorton 1922-1925

Sorry probably getting way off topic now, but thought interesting all same.

Comment

There is a will to a John Dorton on Documents online

Will of John Dorton, Gentleman of Church Street Bethnal Green , Middlesex 10 February 1857 PROB 11/2246

Direct Link : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1

Depending on which of the John Dortons it is for this might help shed some light on family relations etc. Definently worth downloading I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      I think this may be the same as that William Dorton, Naomi running the Railway Tavern in Stratford 1878-1884 approx. A John Dorton listed as running it before him 1874

Maybe a son to John Thomas Dorton 1805?

Funnily enough my own g-g grandfather ran the Marylands Arms, Stratford 1878-1898, almost exactly the same time, this is 2 minutes walk, a street and a half away from the Railway Tavern in Angel Road. Wonder if they knew eachother?
                      Hi Richard - they must have known each other....don't suppose you have a Dorton in your tree! ;D

Comment

If I do he is well hid! Thinking about it I imagine they must have known each other..whether they would have liked eachother, business rivals and all that.. another matter!

Comment

Hi Richard

Thank yiou very much for all your hard work on my behalf. It is most kind of you to pass on this info. I will study it and maybe find a breakthrough.
                          ;D NONA

Comment

No problem Nona, do let us know if the will reveals anything further.

Comment

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all your interest.

I have something to think about now.
                              ;D NONA

Comment

Working...
                              X