Trenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trenant?

I have just received my gt grandmothers death cert and it has helped me to trace what happened to one of her daughters. However, I am still confused by her second name. No birth has ever been found for her but someone kindly found her baptism as Milly Trenaunt Heaps. She was always Millicent Heaps on every census and BMD that I have seen. On her death cert it gives Millicent Trenant Heaps.

Two questions please -
    1 - Has anyone come across a Christian name Tenant or Trenaunt before or should I assume that it's from some family surname.
    2 - Do you think that the daughter (who registered the death) must have seen a birth cert to know about the unusual second name?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Hi - not sure what time frame you're looking at - would these be connected?
    Births Mar 1842 Trenant Isabella Easington 24 117
    Deaths Jun 1867 Trenant Ann 0 S. Shields 10a 363

Comment

No Naomiatt, my gt grandmother was christened Milly Trenaunt Heaps on 28th June 1846 in Laughton en le Morthen, Yorkshire. Her family were travellers though and the children come from all around Derbyshire/Yorkshire and the odd one in Lincolnshire. The earliest census that the family can be found on is the 1861 and Millicent is listed as 15. She lived most of her life in Clay Cross but died on 7th September 1930 whilst living with her daughter in Nottingham, registered as 90 years old and second name Trenant (minus the u). I'm just fascinated by her second name.

Comment

Hi - hmm..there is a place called Tranant in Scotland.
        Have you looked to see if it shows as a Gypsy/Traveller name? Tranter is for example;

As far as you know, were they Roma or from Ireland?
        This is a good site;http://romanygenes.webeden.co.uk/
        Last edited by naomiatt; 30-03-10, 11:07.

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt. Millicents father was born in Derbyshire and I hav'nt been able to trace her mothers origins (Lignum Vita Revill) yet.
          I will check those links though.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Hi - they have some good names don't they. There are also specific forums as well e.g http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/romany_roots/

Comment

I just wish they would stop changing them from one census to the next Naomiatt. Can I assume that Kezoe has become George between census? His age fits and the rest of the family all fit.

Oh, and thank you for those links. I have saved them to peruse

Comment

Hi - sounds like it. Looking around Kezoe seems to be showing as a Jamaican/African name.
                Here's a site that's useful http://www.larp.com/jahavra/language.html Zor means strength....
                Perhaps Kezoe has been transcribed incorrectly???
                There is a translator - but George gave me - jook means dog.
                Online version of Freelang's Romani-English dictionary and English-Romani dictionary.

I think it will also depend if they were Romany or from Ireland.
                Last edited by naomiatt; 31-03-10, 22:38.

Comment

There are several more links about Romanies and Travellers on this page in our Reference Library (General History Section):

Fairground, Showmen and Travellers
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks again Naomiatt

Thank you Caroline, will go and have a look

Comment

Working...
                    X