Problem with .x files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with .x files

When I save images from Ancestry to my computer they download as .x files and when I attempt to open these show only garbled symbols.

I looked on the internet to find out about these .x files but nothing made sense to me.
    I use XP and Firefox.
    I would appreciate suggestions on how to access this type of file.

How are you saving them Kate?
    Do you use the Ancestry "save to computer" tab, or do you right click the image and use "save image as" or "copy image" option.
    Elaine

Comment

You should save them as .jpg files.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Elaine, I've used both the Ancestry 'saved to computer' tab and the right click 'save as' and they each give me these x. files.
        The only way I get round the problem is to 'copy image' and then save to a word document but then I have problems if I want to edit the image.

Wendy, I select the 'save as jpeg option' and it saves as an ..x.jpeg which none of my programs eg. Irfanview will open.

It's frustrating not knowing what I might be doing wrong.

Comment

If you use the 'copy image' can you not then paste it into an image handling program rather than Word. Not sure about Infranview as I don't use it but it would certainly work in Paint.
          For example, I use Faststone Image Viewer and I can select FILE/NEW ... EDIT/PASTE IMAGE. I then crop, manipulate and save in whatever format I want.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Kate View Post
            Wendy, I select the 'save as jpeg option' and it saves as an ..x.jpeg which none of my programs eg. Irfanview will open.

Kate, all you need to do is type in the name you want to call the file with .jpg on the end. You should delete the .x bit first before typing it in. That's how I do all mine and they open OK.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy, I the .x doesn't show in the 'save as' line when I type in a name for the image. I'll try adding .jpg after the file name and see what happens.

Elaine, the same problem happens in several of my image handling programs though I didn't try Paint. I'll give that a go too but I'm beginning to think I might have some setting that's causing the problem.

Comment

Yay! Success! Thanks for your input Wendy. I typed the file name followed by .jpg and it worked this time.

Thanks for your input too Elaine. I'll have a go at that method as well later.

Comment

Working...
                X