Unclaimed Family History info from a home in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unclaimed Family History info from a home in Florida

"I have recently come into some family history information on the Davis family, which was compiled by ***** and was dedicated to her grandfather Daniel Patrick Davis, Jr. With this compilation were letters written by ***** of Reading, MA from 1993. There were some ancestor charts prepared by her containing the surnames of LANFORD, FAGAN and AUSTIN connected to Dublin, Ireland; Boston, MA as well as Orlando, FL, and letters written to Ogdensburg Town Hall in Ogdensburg, NY by Mary Loraine Lanford c/o ******* in Reading, MA. There are also photo copies of pictures of Emily Jane Johnson Austin, born in Dunham, Quebec, Canada (died 5/24/1899 in St. Albans, VT) married to Albert H. Austin, 11/27/1879 as well as Albert H. Austin with his second wife, Ida. He was born 10/23/1854 in St. Albans, VT and died there on 10/12/1935.

From the envelope these papers were in, it appears that these records belonged to Ms. Mary Loraine Lanford, Oviedo, FL. These papers were taken from her home (along with other miscellaneous items) since no one else wanted/claimed it, and I did not want to see her hard work be destroyed"

The writer of this letter has also sent this to a Jewish forum.
    I have an e mail contact if you have a connection to any of the above and the full names where **** are showing.

Besides the surnames of LANGFORD, AUSTIN and FAGAN in Ireland...there is probably a connection to http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1533,2562765 Thomas Bova who passed away in 1976.

Comment

Now if that had been DAVIES (a second wife, married as widow of Howell DAVIES) or, better still, BENNETT...

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine - WendyP found this link http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-01/1106861577
        with lots more info. Any help? I also found an address for one of the living people mentioned and forwarded it to the lady in the US who has the info. She's sent a letter.

Comment

I've just heard from the person who has the Edith Laughridge Davis tree....which is great, and have passed him to the lady in the US.
          Christine, if you see a connection, let me know and I'll send you his e mail.
          Wendy - if you're reading this...thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
            Hi Christine - WendyP found this link http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-01/1106861577
            with lots more info. Any help? I also found an address for one of the living people mentioned and forwarded it to the lady in the US who has the info. She's sent a letter.
            Thanks, Naomi

I don't think there's a connection. Although there's clearly an etymological link between DAVIS & DAVIES, the spelling with the E seems quite consistent for this particular bit of step-family. I would have been interested mainly in case some member of that family ever met Leonard Keith BENNETT to whom May/Mae Gertrude DAVIES had been married after the death of Howell DAVIES, her previous husband.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine - Don't suppose your D's have anything to do with Davidovitch!

The person who has the EL tree has Daniel Patrick Davis' parental line back four generations if that helps at all although I don't believe he's concentrating on that side.
              Last edited by naomiatt; 02-04-10, 07:02.

Comment

Well done detective Naomi!
                WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                  Well done detective Naomi!
                  ..and well done to you detective WendyP!!....if it wasn't for you, wouldn't have seen the link. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                    Hi Christine - Don't suppose your D's have anything to do with Davidovitch!

The person who has the EL tree has Daniel Patrick Davis' parental line back four generations if that helps at all although I don't believe he's concentrating on that side.
                    The info I have so far suggests that they were very Welsh DAVIESes, so probably not Davidovitch. They weren't actually related to me, as I think I said, so I haven't worked over-hard at finding them... just had a look at odds and ends as they've surfaced. Including the Canadian marriage of May and Howell just before they came into the USA!

Christine

Comment

Hi - yes, my D's weren't in Wales. Well, not that I know of. Frustrating really, I have a photo of Rosa Davidovitch's wedding day, and the only other person known in the photo is the groom!

Comment

And a nice end to the story - the mother of the person who wrote the info has now been contacted, and she is going to present all the information at an upcoming familiy reunion.

Comment

Wow! A wonderful end indeed.
                          WendyP

Comment

That's great news!

Christine

Comment

Hi Naomi, My 2 x great grandmother was Catherine FAGAN, born 1830/31 in Dublin, her father was Robert FAGAN of Dublin county. His family may have come from the neighbouring county Meath. I wonder if there is any link to the Fagan in the tree you have? Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley

Welcome to the Forum,
                                You can contact Naomi by clicking on her user name and send her a message.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna. LesleyH, I have a contact email for the person who made the original posting. Send me a pm. You can do that by clicking on my name.

Comment

Lesley H, I replied to you but not sure it went off ok.

Comment

hi Naomi, yes, I received your message that you contacted the lady who posted originally. Thanks for that, looking forward to hearing from her. Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley - I can't put her email on here. Can you send me a private message with your personal email address and I'll write to both of you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X