Marriage William White 1884 2nd qtr Dudley 6c 185 - suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage William White 1884 2nd qtr Dudley 6c 185 - suggestions please

I'm looking for a marriage between William White and Clara (Census 1901; 2752, folio 81, 1). I've been through the marriages freebmd and no Clara to be found. William born c. 1853 Rowley Regis and Clara born ? Near Halesowen (depends on which census) c. 1864. I've checked most of the likely candidates but this marrriage in the title only has 3 on the page. I don't mind checking all the marriages for this quarter but how do I get to see it. I used to be able to do it via Ancestry but I don't know how now.

Help needed and any suggestions very welcome.

Ayse

I think the missing bride on that is Nancy Powell. Sorry that doesn't help you to find your missing marriage
    Jackie

Comment

There are 6 ladies named Clara married in the same quarter in Dudley but non of them have the same reference. I have checked every page.

Do you know exactly which of the children are by Clara? He has obviously been married before as Clara would only have been 10 when Thomas was born.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It looks as though his wife Ann died shortly after the 1881 census. June 1881- Ann White aged 26 - Dudley 6c 9. So a marriage to Clara looks likely between 1881 and 1891.

Comment

Perhaps they married nearer to Clara's home. How about this one -
          Marriages Mar 1882 SMITH Clara Bromsgrove 6c437 WHITE William Bromsgrove 6c437

It's the only William White marriage to a Clara in either Staffordshire or Worcester between those dates.

Comment

There is a 14 year old servant named Ann Smith in 1881, born in Worcester but living in Amblecote Staffordshire. Could be a possible?

Comment

Thank you so much all you lovely people. I think the Bromsgrove registration is very likely so I'll get the cert and hopefully it will prove right. Yes, I thought maybe William had been married twice as the oldest child in the 1891 (Thomas) was 17 whilst Clara seemed to young. I found William and Ann in earlier census and thought, mm maybe the same William. The death of Ann wold seem to fit too.

Chrissie - you obviously looked at the census, I don't know as yet which children were born to Clara. In the 1901 census there is also a William White a couple of years older than John but he wasn't around in the 1891. This needs more work and I'll have to do some lookiing around.

Thank you all again

Ayse

Comment

Night owl - how did you find Nancy Powell?

Ayse

Comment

If you go on FreeBMD and the FAQs there's a section on how to find a spouse when they aren't on the page. Its quite a convoluted explanation, but works in a lot of cases. Nancy Powell has been transcribed on FreeBMD but they couldn't read the page number because the image isn't very clear. You can find a clearer image on Ancestry which I'm pretty sure says page no. 185
                  Jackie

Comment

Might be worth a look here:

It includes Dudley entries, as far as they've got.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                    X