Emily Jane Lane born Bethnal Green 1867

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emily Jane Lane born Bethnal Green 1867

Please can I ask for some help. My great-grandmother Emily Jane Lane has the name Richard Lane for her father on her Marriage certificate. He was a clay pipe maker. On the 1891 census I can see a Richard Lane with wife Charlotte, Charlotte working in the Tobacco trade.

I don't think this is Emily's mum, as they only married in 1875.

Please can somebody help me find my 2 X great-grandmother.

Di

Hello Di - Do you have Emily Jane's birth cert?
    Births Dec 1867
    Lane Emily Jane Bethnal Green 1c 246

Comment

There is a member tree on Ancestry with an Emily Jane Lane, born 1867 Bethnal Green, daughter of Richard Norris Lane, b.1831 and Charlotte Hastings b.1837. She married John Morris Kennedy 28 Oct 1885.

Comment

There is a possible marriage for him in Bethnal Green the same quart Emily is born:

Name: Richard Lane
        Year of Registration: 1867
        Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
        District: Bethnal Green
        County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
        Volume: 1c
        Page: 560

Spouse Mary Ann Sutton

Comment

Richard Norris Lane married Sarah Sanders in 1875, not Charlotte Hastings - she was the other marriage on the page (the register page is on Ancestry). He was a joiner, not a pipe maker. So I think you have muddled up somewhere.

Edit: I see that info was from the Ancestry tree - in which case it is them who messed up!
          Last edited by Richard in Perth; 29-03-10, 11:39.

Comment

It is me on Ancestry! I have Emily's birth certificate and her marriage certificate! Let's then go back to the 1891 census with Richard and Charlotte married in Camberwell in 1875, can anybody suggest how to find out who proceeded her!
            Di

Comment

Emilys birth certifcate from 1867 surely gives her mothers name?

Comment

What does it say on Emily's birth certificate for her mother?
                What is father's name on the certificate and occupation?
                What is the address on the certificate?
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                  Hello Di - Do you have Emily Jane's birth cert?
                  Births Dec 1867
                  Lane Emily Jane Bethnal Green 1c 246
                  This may not be the right one if Di thinks the father's name is Richard. There is an Emily Jane Lane christened on 18 Sept 1867, Bethnal Green, parents Charles & Jane.
                  Elaine

Comment

I have that one! and one with father's name Richard and mother's surname Lane! Emily married my great-grandfather in 1885 and said she was 19! I know that a lot of the records for this area are missing, but would love to go further back on the paternal side of my tree.
                    Di

Comment

As I said above - Richard Norris Lane didn't marry Charlotte Hastings - he married Sarah Sanders. Charlotte Hastings was the next marriage on the page - she married William Grover. I found Richard & Sarah in 1881, living in Merton Surrey (still a joiner, as he was at his marriage). They had several children by then, but no Emily.

Comment

Hi Richard
                        Thanks for your help. My Ancestry tree is one I used when I first started out and there are a lot of mistakes on it I know, but I don't know how to import another file. If I go to Free BMD and put in Richard Lane , spouses name Charlotte it comes up with the records you are referring to. Then I can see Richard and Charlotte on the 1891 census. I am very likely clutching at straws, so it is back to the drawing board.
                        Thanks anyway.
                        Di

Comment

The birth certificate that you have for Emily, which shows father's name Richard and mother's surname Lane
                          - does it give a firstname for mother?
                          - what is the date of birth and address?
                          - what is the occupation for Richard?
                          Elaine

Comment

Have you found Emily in the 1891 / 1901 / 1911 census. What does she give for her year and place of birth - is it consistent?
                            Elaine

Comment

Unfortunately recently met up with some previously unknown second cousins on my mother's side. He was obviously ill and gave them my box of bits to take and scan anything they wanted. Have since heard he has cancer and has only months to live, so getting my bits back is not in the least important!
                              I cannot see Emily any further until my grandfather is born in Mile End Old Town in 1887 and of course her marriage in 1885 to John Morris Kennedy!
                              Di

Comment

There is an Emily J Lane registered 1866, which would match the age given on the marriage:

Emily J Lane 1866 Jan-Feb-Mar Wandsworth, Greater London, London, Surrey

On the 1871 Census in Wandsworth her father is a Richard Lane.

I would say you need to find your g grandmother on the 1891-1911 Census to see what she put down as her place of birth. There is only one Emily Jane Lane registered around then in Bethnal Green, and she is accounted for by the baptism to Charles and Jane Lane, so this is not your lady. Where then does the info come from that your Emily was born in Bethnal Green, and how reliable is it?

Comment

This is the 1871 Census ref

Richard Lane 33
                                  Phebe Lane 32
                                  Richard Lane 7
                                  Emily J Lane 5
                                  Arthur Lane 3

Class: RG10; Piece: 713; Folio: 15; Page: 24;

Emily has been mistranscribed as Emily I Lane on Ancestry, but the image shows Emily J Lane.

Comment

Elaine there is more info on an earlier thread of Di's I have just discovered on the archive here:

Di, question I want to ask on reading this, you state at one point:

"My grandfather John Benjamin Kennedy (born Lambeth 1887 )"

but later on it is stated he was baptised in Stepney and you say the adress on his birth certificate was 16, St John's Place, Mile End?

I'm a bit confused by this was he born in Lambeth, but the parents addres on his birth cert given as Mile End (i.e he wasn't born at their home?).

Wandsworth is in Lambeth, so that is a link to the Emily J Lane born 1866 Wandsworth, dau of Richard and Pheobe.

Also I notice that two of your grandfathers younger siblings baptisms give an adress for the couple on 1891 & 3 in Islington. Might be a coincidence but Richard and Pheobe Lane also moved North of the river about this time and are living in St Pancras, which is next to Islington. Only fly in the ointment is he is down as a baker, not a clay pipe maker.

Comment

I can see 4 children in the LMA records on Ancestry.

John Benjamin Kennedy Baptism 18 Sep 1887 St Philip, Stepney Tower Hamlets (address 16 St Johns Place)
                                      Margaret Jane Kennedy Baptism 9 Mar 1890 St Philip, Stepney Tower Hamlets (address 13 Baker Street)
                                      Arthur Thomas Kennedy Baptism 11 Mar 1891 St Barnabas, Hornsey Road Islington (address 1 Brunswick Grove)
                                      Flora Mary Kennedy Baptism 18 May 1892 St Barnabas, Hornsey Road Islington (address 8 Queensland Road)

parents: John Morris Kennedy and Emily Kennedy

Trying to find 1891/1901 census.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                                        Elaine there is more info on an earlier thread of Di's I have just discovered on the archive here:

Doesn´t look as if we are much further forward on this.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X