Help needed transcribing a letter please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed transcribing a letter please

I have more or less managed to transcribe my ggg grandmother, Agnes' letter but am unsure about 3 parts. Can anyone help read them please?

This first one reads thes ? (h)is for George, the word looks like kelyarte

I think that this one says all my love to all my "neighbours"

The final one is if ? ? sister, our would make sense, but I am not sure.

Many thanks for your help
    Lynn

Lynn,

The writer seems to make mistakes and repetitions but for the third I read as follows:

.... of them will come next summer if [transposition for "poor"] sister Mary had lived some of ...

Comment

Lynn,

More repetitions here in the second passage:

... give love to all my love to all my neighbours [misspelt] and receive the same yours ...
      Last edited by Peter Evans; 28-03-10, 23:31. Reason: typo!

Comment

Lynn,

I can't make sense of the kelyarte or helyarte but perhaps the writer meant to write: this [whatever] is for George.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter. Yes "poor" does make sense & i thought that it was "neighbours" in the 2nd one as well, as that makes sense. It is possible that the final one is a Scottish word, but I am not sure what.
          Lynn

Comment

Just giving this a nudge in the hope that someone can help with the first picture please
            Lynn

Comment

Does 'will all join in ............... this help for George' make any sense?
              Not wanting to offend you Lynn but is the writer likely to be struggling with their English and leaving off, or putting in aitches etc that should or should not be there (i.e. for his read is etc)? Then it may make more sense.

On reflection, I think it's this (something) is for George. LOL sorry, just realised that's what Peter said :o
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 30-03-10, 10:32.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes Chrissie, the letter is ful of words with extra "h"s. she was a Scottish lady & according to one census, she was also deaf. I really want to know what she was bringing back for George, it is most intriguing
                Lynn

Comment

I'm having a look at this on my phone at work, and just snuck on tinternet to post this.

In the first piece, the letter you think is a 'y'. The tail is actually the upstroke on the h in his on the line below. The first 'his' that's smudged or crossed out.
                  Or it looks that way to me, anyway. Compare it with the second 'his.
                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I can see what you mean Helen, that leaves us with kelarte or there may be a letter before the a. Sadly this still means nothing to me.
                    Lynn

Comment

Definitely not a 'y'. All her letters with tails are looped - the 'g's, 'j's and other 'y's.
                      Helen

Comment

Thanks Helen
                        Lynn

Comment

I've had a go at removing the line from the 'h' below. The third letter now looks a bit like h itself!

Not reattached very well - never tried it that way before.

Now it looks like ??harte or ?? haste
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 30-03-10, 19:36.
                          Helen

Comment

curiouser & curiouser!
                            Lynn

Comment

Working...
                            X