Certified copy of Death gives lots of info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified copy of Death gives lots of info

I have a certified copy of an entry of Death dated 1954 Issued to the Industrial Assurance and Friendly Societies act 1948 , seems to be for insurance purposes ???
    Not only does it give the deceaseds name ,but her Husbands who is obviously still alive ,the informants who is one of her married Daughters, and the name of who it was issued to which was another of her married Daughters.
    So I have four names to follow up.
    Shame Death Certs arent so full of information.

Val

I am mystified - these are both the same thing aren't they?

OC

Comment

Perhaps Val is refering to one which has been in the archives of the family for some time, and was sent off for insurance claim purposes, rather than one obtained straight from the GRO for genealogy purposes only.

I think that when you wanted to claim the pay out from a burial policy, you had to surrender a copy of the death cert. Often this was written on by the insurance company, adding information of use to genealogists, before it was given back to the claimant.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

to be honest I dont know where I got it from only found it in my docs yesterday so maybe a contact sent me it I really dont remember .
        I have never seen one with so many names on it so assumed it was for some sort of payout??? the Husband mentioned was Pensioned it says ??

Comment

I have death certs for 1973 and 1975 issued as a 'Certified Copy of an Entry of Death, issued at a fee of 2/- in pursuance and for the purposes of the First Schedule to the Industrial Assurance And Friendly Societies Act 1948'.

These were obviously issued for use as a claim on life assurance as on the back of the cert is a pre printed box 'For use by Industrial Assurance Companies and Registered Friendly Societies Only' and below that an area to enter details of ...

Name of Society or Company
          Date of Contract
          Amount Paid
          Other Particulars

So it is different to the 'usual' death certificate.

Each of my certificates gives a different informant (my mum's older siblings) but the actual certificates were both issued to my mum and her name and address are given at the bottom of each cert. There is also a delete, as inapplicable, as to whether they are a child (to include adopted child), stepchild or grandchild. So mum shows as child on both.

Just for interest....One cert states, on the reverse, that the sum paid was £18 and the other £19.80 (£19.80 paid for the lady in my avatar)...Both were the old style 'Penny' life policies with Royal Liver Friendly Society.

Chris
          Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 29-03-10, 20:21.
          Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

thats interesting Chris mine cost a shilling LOL

Comment

Working...
            X