Solomon Smith (Senior) help with date of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Smith (Senior) help with date of death

Hi recently been going through a lot of my stuff and realised that I have not managed to find Solomon Smith's date of death so that I could order his death certificate.

Full name Solomon Smith, date of birth 8th March 1866 in Weedon, Daventry, Northampton. His parents were James Smith and Hannah Clarke. He married Mary Ann Stokes on 25th December 1892 in Stepney in London. He was still alive on the 1911 census and living in Limehouse, London with an occupation as a Bargeman/Lighterman. He was still alive when his son, also Solomon got married on 23/2/1918 and there was no deceased listed against him (there was against his daughter in laws father).

I wonder if anyone can help with the details so that I could potentially order his certificate via GRO

Many thanks

Steven

there is a Solomon Smith died 1949 in Aldershot Hampshire aged 82 which is about right , trouble is unless the person who was the informant knew his birth date it will be hard to narrow it down.
    There are believe it or not a lot of Solomon Smiths

Comment

Thanks Val is Aldershot near London? My English geography is appalling. It looks from all the censuses that he lived mainly at Limehouse and Stepney and was always listed as a lighterman/boatman. Would have thought he would stayed close by all his life. Any ideas on how I would narrow down potential Solomon's. Obviously the death certificate would have his parents names so would be able to verify any certificate but don't want to order loads and for them to be the wrong ones

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
        Obviously the death certificate would have his parents names so would be able to verify any certificate but don't want to order loads and for them to be the wrong ones
        Unfortunately not!
        There is an article in our Reference Library which shows what you would expect to find on English/Welsh certificates.
        Certificates: England and Wales
        Elaine

Comment

Aldershot is in Hampshire, which is to the south west of London towards the south coast. At 82, no doubt he would have retired from his employment and could well have been living with one of his children. Looking at the many Solomon Smiths on the indexes this does appear to be the one which is nearest to his age, although that doesn't guarantee it's the correct one!

Comment

Pity there are so many - had great luck with both Solomon Smith's birth certificate and marriage one and have junior's daeth certificate. Suppose I have Solomon's parents names anyway so probably would not give me much anyway would have been nice to know but can't always get everything

Thanks for your help

Steven

Comment

Val do you have the details of that death ie volume, page and District - might give it a go via GRO

Thanks

Comment

Steven, it's...

Solomon Smith
                Mar qtr 1949
                Aldershot, Hampshire
                Volume 6b
                Page 12

Comment

Thanks Velma much appreciated his son Solomon Smith died in Ilford Essex on 7/4/1946 and after checking it again realised what Elaine meant when she said it gives very little information. With my Scottish ancestors the death certificate gives the full names of both parents and usually the deceased husband or wife which makes it very helpful with searching for ancestors.

However even were I to order this it may give me very little information and I may not even know if it is the correct certificate. With Solomon junior it gave his occupation as postman (which I knew from his WW1 service record) and the description of informant was my grandfather so I knew it was correct.

Now not sure whether it is worthwhile but don't like getting beat so will probably give it a bash

Thanks very much for your help

Steven

Comment

Assuming the informant knew of course, the death cert should give Solomon's previous occupation, eg "retired boatman", which should help you know if you have the right one.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Unfortunately buying incorrect certificates is an expensive mistake with this hobby, but sometimes you have to check these entries out, if only to eliminate them.

Comment

if you order it before the 6th of April you could give a checking point?? so you would get some of your money back if it was wrong , only thing is your checking point might not be on it anyway ???so its a chance you take.

Comment

Thanks guys - luckily until now I have only ever ordered one incorrect certificate on my English side which isn't bad but mainly to do with the help from the family tree forum members.

Think its worth a try and will order it tonight

The thing that is bugging me is my dad heard a story when he was a boy that someone in his family died in a vat of beer - now I don't know is this means someone was an alcoholic or whether someone actually fell into a vat of beer. I would normally have laughed it off but most of his "stories" have so far come true. I have checked out my great grandfather (the 1st Solomon) and thought the 2nd Solomon might be worth a try!!!!!

Fingers crossed!!!!!

Steven
                          Last edited by stevie2006; 31-03-10, 18:55.

Comment

The thing about the vat of beer story is that with my family working on boats/barges etc it is feasible that they could have been transporting beer and then fallen into a vat or container - probably will end up with someone dying of alcohol poisoning but what a great story it would be if true - although not for the person who fell in it

Steven

Comment

Steven would either of these two be the right Solomon?

Solomon Smith
                              Death Registration Month/Year: 1916
                              Age at death (estimated): 57
                              Registration district: Southwark
                              Inferred County: London
                              Volume: 1d
                              Page: 152

Death Registration Month/Year: 1927
                              Age at death (estimated): 84
                              Registration district: West Ham
                              Inferred County: Essex
                              Volume: 4a
                              Page: 301
                              Teresa...

Comment

Teresa the areas where registered look ok but he was born in Weedon in 1866 and the second one looks to be a no goer - the first one is a bit closer age wise so now you have given me food for thought. The one Val and Velma gave me they felt was closer age wise so will have a think about it. It looks from most of the censuses that he lived in Stepney/Limehouse area and that was also where he got married.

Now not sure

Steven

Comment

Steven, I have the same problem with my gt.grandmother. I have her birth and marriage certificate and I have her on the censi until 1901. Her husband dies in 1904 and then she simply disappears off the radar! I have looked in the areas where her married children lived and I still can't locate her.
                                  Teresa...

Comment

Hi Teresa Scottish ancestors are so much easier!!!!!!!!!!!

I bit the bullet and ordered the one that Val and Velma suggested. If no obvious clues then will try the 1st one on your list. The 2nd one is the right area ie West Ham but age seems to far out.

I need the certificate to say cause of death drowning in a vat of beer!!!!!! I doubt that very much but will everyone know how it goes

Steven

Comment

just found another one age about right
                                      Solomon Smith
                                      March 1934 in Lichfield Staffs aged 68
                                      6B 504

sorry

Comment

Thanks Val bit the bullet and ordered both and now fingers crossed!!!!

The age does seem closer - is Lichfield closer to the Stepney/Limehouse area?

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                        X