Joseph John Toop, missionary in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph John Toop, missionary in China

Joseph was born in 1880 in Pimlico, London, son of grocer John Toop and my relative Jessie Hawes.

I've found him in the UK Incoming Passengers from China where he and his wife Rosetta and their children were missionaries, and incoming from Canada.

There appear to be records for him in the US Passenger & Immigration Lists index, Canada/US border crossings, Canadian passenger lists which need worlwide sub which I don't have - I'd be grateful if someone could take a look for me as I'm not sure if these are just part of his homeward travels from China or whether he was resident in either country at any time.

Can't help with the passenger lists, Jill, but have you found out what organisation he worked for? I have a missionary in India who worked for the Church Missionary Society. Their archive is held at Birmingham University http://www.mundus.ac.uk/cats/44/1215.htm and may well have something on him

Comment

Thanks Velma - since my post I've found an account by his son William

who describes their route in the 20s & 30s from China-UK as being crossing the Pacific to Canada/USA, transcontinental railway to New York or Quebec then ship to Liverpool, so I guess that explains all the border crossings. His daughter travelled back by the Trans- Siberian railway, (Great Railway Journeys The World Stuff!)

Comment

Can see him on passenger lists:

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
        Joseph James Toop - born c1880 England
        Port of Departure - Kobe, Japan
        Port of Arrival - Vancouver, British Columbia
        Arrival date - 24 Nov 1933
        Vessel: Hiye Maru

Seattle Passenger and Crew Lists, 1882-1957

Joseph James Toop - born c 1880 England
        Last Residence: CHN
        Port of Departure - Kobe, Japan
        Port of Arrival - Seattle, Washington
        Date of arrival - 31 Jul 1941
        Ship Name: Heian Maru
        Elaine

Comment

might help with dates
          Jess

Comment

Thankyou Elaine, looks like they were not in China during WW2.

Thanks too to Ozgirl for your pm.

Comment

we were posting at the same time Jess - thanks, off to take a look

Comment

I had a message about the Toops on Ancestry last night, someone who lives In New Zealand has sent me a page from his parents' visitors book from 1944 when they were missionaries in China which has the signature of John Kenneth Toop (son of JJ Toop) who with his twin brother William was a doctor and medical missionary.

Comment

Excellent Jill. Just goes to show the importance of "NEVER give up," which is my genealogy mantra !
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

ooh good news, something always turns up...just took a while!
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                    X