Oxfordshire/Berkshire marriage register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxfordshire/Berkshire marriage register

Does anyone out there have a copy of the Berkshire marriage register who could do a quick look up for me? I have found a reference to a marriage on 6 May 1837 in Sutton Courtenay in Berkshire between John Pitson and ?. If possible I would like the name of the bride.

It might however come under the Oxfordshire Marriages, as this place did swap counties and I'm not sure which one has the records for this time.

Many thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi Linda, Sutton Courtenay was traditionally in Berkshire and there are transcribed Berks PR's at my local library. I have another look-up from this site which I plan to do on Monday so will look for yours as well

Comment

Thanks Velma, that would be great - this couples marriage is on a number of trees and sites, but the information given doesn't match what I have found. Which library is it by the way, I wonder if it is one I could get to easily?

Linda
      Linda

Comment

It's Maidenhead library - they have transcribed Berks PRs in their local history room. I'll be in there Monday - so will look it up for you

Comment

Its Sarah Cripps according to the IGI

Pittson spelled, on this occasion with TT

M018381
          Jess

Comment

Hello,
            Velma I am also thinking of going to the Maidenhead library today. Do you know which PRs they have? Eg Hungerford, Warfield, Binfield,

Comment

They have most of Berkshire in there, in the local studies room on the first floor. Binfield is definitely there, because I've looked at those! I'm sure I've seen Hungerford there too... and possibly Warfield. They're all transcriptions, but it's more convenient for me then going all the way to Reading to the record office

Comment

Thanks Velma, might see you in there!

Comment

I was in there about 11am

Hopefully you found what you were looking for

As for the marriage...

6th May 1837 Sutton Courteney
                  John Pittson (b) and Sarah Cripps (s)

HTH

Comment

Thanks very much Velma, that confirms things nicely. I'll keep a note on Maidenhead Library, tho I don't know Maidenhead that well, just well enough to get lost on the ring road bit!

Thanks again for your help.

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

No worries

Maidenhead Library is in St Ives Road, opposite the Town Hall - which you will probably recognise as the hospital in the Carry On films! :D

Sainsburys on the A4, which is soo huge you can't miss it, is probably the best place to park, then just head for the High Street, and St Ives Road is off of that...

Comment

Thanks Velma - I think I vaguely remember the Sainsburys - sounds quite straightforward, even I might be able to find it!!

Linda
                        Linda

Comment

I was there about 12.30. And spent my time looking at Binfield. I enquired about Warfield and they do not have them, they are at Reading RO. I wish they would have comfortable chairs with support for your back. I was at Reading a couple of years ago and couldn't continue my searching because of back pain. And the same thing happened today 20 minutes in and severe back pain! Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by fortuna View Post
                            And the same thing happened today 20 minutes in and severe back pain! Any suggestions?
                            Take a blow-up cushion.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think it needs a bit more than that!

Comment

Originally posted by fortuna View Post
                                And the same thing happened today 20 minutes in and severe back pain! Any suggestions?
                                Look first at the resources that are on line.
                                The info Oz Girl wanted I found on line, on the IGI, a very useful source- I didn't have to go anywhere - and my own chair is very comfortable too
                                Jess

Comment

Unfortunately the chairs in these places are uncomfortable... perhaps they don't want us to stay too long! :D

The IGI is useful, but it's always worth checking it out, especially as you can get more info from these other sources.

If you want anything else looked up, please let me know and I'll try to get in there for you, although I'm working full-time after Easter until July, so will have limited time to do it...

Comment

Thanks Velma,
                                    I have just returned to Maidenhead after 16 years in Spain following the totally unexpected death of my partner on New Year's Day. FH is one way of trying to get back to some semblance of normality. So I will be persevering possibly with a hard cushion for support!
                                    Thank you for your offer but you will be busy enough but I might call on you if my Wises and Martins get the better of me.
                                    And yes, Jess I use the IGI a lot and very helpful it can be,

Comment

I didn't realise that you were so local, it's a small world!

Comment

Working...
                                      X