Isd. Bridge, Kent???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isd. Bridge, Kent???

I just received an army birth/baptism cert for 1818. No place of birth is given, and the place of baptism is given only as "Isd. Bridge". The cert is typed. The father was in the RHA (based in Woolwich, Kent) and from later censuses the place of birth of the child is given as either Woolwich or Charlton, Kent. Anyone have any idea what the "Isd Bridge" might stand for? Could possibly be a mistranscription by the GRO, but I can't think of anything likely. Any ideas?

can you confirm that you really mean 1818.

what is the name of this person please?
    Jess

Comment

Hi Jess

Yes it's 1818 (the GRO military bmd's start from 1794). Unfortunately though the GRO won't supply photocopies of the originals for these - so the cert is just typed, based on their interpretation of the original handwriting. The details according to their transcription are:

Royal Horse Artillery
      Date of birth: 20 Nov 1818
      Place, date of baptism: Isd. Bridge, 2 Dec 1818
      Christian name of child: William
      Parents: Wm & Jane Wipper
      Rank of father: Driver
      Name of chaplain, etc: J E Kane
      Adjutant: W Saunders, Capt & Adjt RHA

William junior married Agnes Pattrie in Marylebone, 13-Dec-1846.

I have him in every census until his death:
      1841: HO107/1063-6/8/8: Lion Street, St Mary Newington: Wm Wipper, 25, M, porter, b in county?: y
      1851: HO107/1555/227/12: Back Street, Bow, MDX: William Wipper, head, M, 34, M, tailor, Woolwich
      1861: RG09/78/189/37: 9 Croydon St, Marylebone: William Wapper, head, M, 42, M, tailor, Kent Charlton
      1871: RG10/93/44/7: 10 Gilbert St, St George Hanover Sq: Wm Wipper, head, M, 52, M, tailor, Charlton
      1881: RG11/92/34/23: 22 George St, St Geo Hanover Sq: Wm Wipper, g father, W, 63, M, tailor, Woolwich

Deaths Mar 1888: WIPPER William, 70, Woolwich 1d 806

Cheers,
      Richard.
      Last edited by Richard in Perth; 27-03-10, 08:33.

Comment

Hi - the RA Museum in Woolwich might be able to give you an idea http://www.firepower.org.uk/contact/index.asp
        Wonder if it's meant to be Brigade and not Bridge....

Comment

I would incline toward Naomi's idea - maybe 1st brigade - mistrancribed

Comment

Hi Naomi, Val & George

Thanks for the suggestion - it's a possible, I guess - but it's definitely under "place of baptism" - I wouldn't have expected the brigade to be mentioned there. Also I understand the the RHA had battalions rather than brigades (I have another cert - from 1832 - for William's son-in-law who was also a gunner in the RHA. He was in the 9th battalion, which is mentioned in the title line of the cert). However, if no-one here can come up with a likely place name I will contact the museum to see if they know.

Comment

There is a place called Bridge near Canterbury Kent but cannot see how that might help you?

I also note you have him in Newington in 1841 Census and born in county. Have you established whether that is Newington London(Middlesex?) or Newington Kent?

Newington Kent is near Sittingbourne on the road to Bridge, the old road to Canterbury if I remember rightly.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 27-03-10, 15:51.

Comment

OK everyone - I think I've found it: Island Bridge Barracks, Dublin. The RHA were apparently based there as well as Woolwich. A bit strange that William was born in Woolwich 20-Nov and then baptised in Dublin just 12 days later - but possible, I suppose.

The barracks were renamed Clancy Barracks following Irish independence, and have since been re-developed.

thanks all for your help,
                Richard

Comment

Richard

It can happen more frequently than we realise. I have a statutory birth cert of one born in barracks in Yorkshire in April 1868 but baptised according to military certificate in Portsea just a few weeks later. It foxed me for a long time as I had baptismal cert long before I had birth cert and I always said she was born in Portsea! Just goes to show how careful one has to be! I now have both certs! In your case it is before registration so was more difficult for you. Glad you found out as I would never have thought of that, not having found anyone stationed in Dublin yet.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                  X