Help with Loyd Carnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Loyd Carnes

Hello everyone, new to board. Started looking for my Grandfather Loyd Carnes, Birth 1913 Georgia. Father Bomar Carnes Birth 1877 - 1943. Mother Mollie L. 1877 - not sure. Have found Obit for Bomar, but not for Loyd.

My Grandmother Odell Gray and Loyd were married in 1935 Walker County Ga. His age was 22 right, but her age was 21 which is not right since whe was born in 1920?? Not sure about this.

In my dads baby book it has His Dad died when he was only 18 months old, and then also has his mom remariied when he was 18 months old?? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway when I was growning up sometimes I would ask my Grandmother about my Real Grandfather and she would always tell me not to ask no questions and got mad if I did??

I have found info on Loyd and his Family, but nothing about a divorce from my grandmother, nor anything about his death.

I would greatly appreciate any info, suggestions and or advice you can give me to help find my mystery grandfather.

Thanks

Hi Papa Rick and welcome to FTF

Please can you confirm that your grandmother has passed away, as we do not name living persons on the site.

Also I presume that's Walker County, Georgia, USA??

Just need to clarify that before members start searching.

Good luck with your quest, hopefully our members will be able to help you...

Comment

There is a divorce in 1952 in Florida for a Loyd Carnes, but wife's name is different.

Also a death in Florida 1965 for a Loyd William Carnes, but no age is given. Cannot find a SSDI to match the Florida death.
      Last edited by Karen S; 25-03-10, 21:29.
      Karen

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Papa Rick!

"18 months" is often an approximation. If someone had young children to care for, then a married partner would surely make that easier - especially in the absence of any social or financial "safety net". It could just be a convenient "whirlwind romance".

On the other hand, people don't - and didn't - always play by the rules. Marriages sometimes split up by agreement - when divorce was difficult &/or expensive. Men walked out on families then as now - and, very occasionally, women did so. People sometimes claimed they were married, even if they weren't - or at least, they weren't until much later. People claimed grandchildren were their own children, if that were more acceptable than an unmarried mother in the family.

All you can do is come to these things with an open mind, and see what the evidence tells you - and check the reliability of the evidence, too!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry, but new to this so didn't know what you would need to research this. They were married in Walker Co Ga

HUSBAND: CARNES Age: 21 Book/page: 11-438
          FULL NAME: LLOYD CARNES M-Date: 09-30-1935
          WIFE: ODELL GRAY Her Age: 20 REC Date: 09-25-1935
          W/Maiden: GRAY COUNTY:
          ISSUANCE: 09-30-1935 ORDINARY: W. L. STANSELL County No:
          PROB JUDGE: CITY:
          OFFICIANT: A. L. ELLIS TITLE: NP & JP Addr:

Also found this: http://walker.thegaproject.org/dockets/docketc.html where it listed my Grandmother: ESTATE: CARNES LILLIAN ODELL GRAY DOCKET NO. 150.0 Not sure what this means, as in if he was dead or not.

Got a copy of the Obit on his Dad from Dec 3 1943 Bomar Carnes, and it list his 2 sisters and 1 brother that was still alive, but not Loyd who should have died 18 months after my Dad (Still Living) was born 12-07-1937 which should have been 1940.

The woman my Dads mom Lillian Odell Gray (maiden name) Born 7 March 1920, Died 4 Nov 2003. She was from Rossville GA, married Loyd and then not sure if divorced, widowed but remarried J.D.Pope from Rossville GA and then moved to Huntsville Al. He was born 18 Aug 1920, Died 4 July 1989.

Comment

They're described as "Probate dockets". So far as I know, you'd only "prove" a Will if you were trying to execute it - i.e. the person who'd made the Will had died.

The sequential number is very low. The list is headed "Probate Dockets 1883 - 1940", so it could be a very early one in the series? Perhaps an Lillian Odell GRAY was an ancestor of your Odell GRAY... except for the surname CARNES. Could be an earlier match between the same families, of course.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-03-10, 22:09.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No this is my Grandmother, my Dad told me when she was growing up everyone called her Odell, and up until she got married to J.D. Pope then she started going by Lillian.

Comment

Right - I hadn't realised that the Lillian was an expected part of the name.

Sounds like a document I'd want to get hold of in your shoes. Wills can be very revealing! - Though sometimes they're purely functional and tell you very little, which is disappointing - a bit of a gamble.

Christine

Comment

Since it is listed does this mean anyone can look at it or how would one go about doing this? Also Loyds Dad Bomar is buried in Rossville GA, and wondered if maybe Loyd is buried there? Loyd and his Brother Luther Erector both died before their Dad Bomar did, and in the Obit dated 1943 it does not list either one of them, but does the surviving son and 2 daughters. If they were married in Walker Co Ga, and got divorced there (Not sure about the divorce) it would show up somewhere wouldn't it?

Also any advice to try and track down my Grandfather Loyd would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Comment

What is the best way to search for obits on people who died between 1920 and 1940, and not for sure but either tn or ga?

Comment

Have not found anything else out about Loyd, but keep trying, anyone have any advice or suggestions.

Comment

I found the gravesite for Lloyd Carnes, but have not been able to find much else out about him except for his Father and Mother who were Bomar and Mollie L Carnes. What steps would I need to take to try and get a death cert on these 3 individuals.

Comment

I think you're looking for US BMD certs? Usually referred to there as Vital Records?

Each state seems to have its own procedure. There may be some info in the FTF Wiki. You can find out a lot by googling - that's how I found out how to get hold of a death cert for the person I believe to be my grandfather. Many of them use VitalCheck to deal with applications being paid for by credit card, but you tend to need the specific date if you're going down that route.

Many, if not all, states have their own family history groups of one kind or another. They would probably be able to give you advice on how to track down what you're looking for.

Christine

Comment

Thank you so much for your help and advice, will check on this.

Comment

Working...
                            X