Help please, I have hit a BRICKWALL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, I have hit a BRICKWALL!

Hello, I really could do with some help as I have hit a brick wall with my research.
    I have been researching my husband's family for some time now and can't seem to get any more information on James CHIVERS who married Sarah BLAKE in Peasemore, Berkshire in 1769. Could someone please look up this marriage and let me know if James parent's names appear in the record, also where he came from?
    James CHIVERS was buried in Harwell on the 29th March 1816. Aged 74yrs. He was born around 1742.
    Thank you all, Sara.

Welcome to FTF, Sara.

You'd need to find the parish records for Peasemore. Where have you tried to look for them? I guess you found the marriage in the IGI.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John, I got the information from Ancestry. I have tried looking through the IGI records, no luck. Posting on other forums, no luck, searched Ancestry from top to bottom, no luck, written to several members of the Berks FHS, no luck. Tried to find records for Peasemore, Berks, no luck. I am running out of ideas now. I would be very grateful for any advice. Best wishes, Sara.

Comment

Hello and welcome to FTF

I live in East Berkshire and my local library has transcribed parish registers for the whole county - Peasemore may be amongst them. I will have a look next time I'm in town, although probably be Monday now. However PRs usually just have the names of the bride and groom, as well as their condition (ie spinster/bachelor). I've never seen an entry which quotes the parents names. Although I could look for their baptism, but that doesn't guarantee I'm looking at the correct persons.

Comment

Hi Sara,

How do you know they were married in 1769?

Comment

Topic England, Berkshire, Peasemore - Church records
            Titles Bishop's transcripts for Peasemore, 1607-1834 Church of England. Parish Church of Peasemore (Berkshire)
            Index to the burial registers of St. Barnabas, Peasemore, Berkshire Thomason, F. J.
            Parish chest materials, 1538-1842 Church of England. Parish Church of Peasemore (Berkshire) Parish registers for Peasemore, 1538-1948 Church of England. Parish Church of Peasemore (Berkshire) St. Barnabas Peasemore, Berkshire : index to the baptismal registers, 1538-1990 Loosen, M

These are the film records the LDS hold. the following are the film numbers and details for the COE Church in Peasemore

Title Parish registers for Peasemore, 1538-1948 Authors Church of England. Parish Church of Peasemore (Berkshire) (Main Author)
            Note Location
            Film Baptisms, burials, 1538-1804; marriages, 1538-1762. FHL BRITISH Film
            88337 Item 1
            Marriages and banns, 1755-1819. Marriages, 1813-1836. FHL BRITISH Film
            1849245 Items 22 - 23
            Marriage banns, 1824-1948. Marriage licences, etc., 1840-1881. Mandates, licences, etc., 1836-1871. FHL BRITISH Film
            1849289 Items 2 - 4

You can order a film from your nearest LDS Family History Centre and then make an appointment to view the film at the Centre. In my experience it would be unusual for the bride or groom's Fathers to be noted in the wedding register in the 1700's. The Baptismal Records would be a better bet.

To order a film from the LDS, I would suggest you search their site www.familysearch.org
            to find your nearest FHC, then contact them by phone first and ask what the local arrangements are for ordering films. At the Centre where I work as a volunteer, we can only accept film orders in person and on payment upfront by cash or cheque. Other Centres may do things differently. We have no facilities for credit or debit card payments but a larger Centre might have these facilities. Some larger Centres also have some stock of films so it's always worth making the relevant enquiry.
            Last edited by Elderflower; 25-03-10, 22:56. Reason: Changed font colour to make reading the info easier

Comment

Hi, Mary from Italy,
              • another family member visited the Records office in Berks and found the record, but didn't get any detail. Best wishes, Sara.

Comment

Hi Elderflower, thank you very much, that's really helpful information. We live about 30 miles from the Maidstone Centre, so will be contacting them to see what they advise. Best wishes, Sara.

Comment

Hello, thank you very much, I have been looking for ages and am at a stanstill at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated, Sara.

Comment

Hi Sara,

This is what I found in the transcribed PR's in Maidenhead Library:-

19th June 1769

James Chivers (x) of Wornol, Bucks
                    & Sarah Blake (x) otp

Witnesses-
                    David Lovegrove (x)
                    John Fullbrook

In case you don't know 'otp' means 'of this parish'. Although I looked for a corresponding baptism, but couldn't find one for her.

'x' denotes that that's how they signed their names, so John Fullbrook was the only one who did.

No parents names, but that is usual.

Looking at a map, Wornol does not exist, as far as I can see. However I wonder if it's Worminghall, on the Oxfordshire borders. Said with a local accent, by someone who was illiterate could sound like Wornol. Although I don't have access to Bucks records here, unfortunately.

HTH

Comment

However (!) looking at the IGI on the Family Search website, I have found this:-

Baptism
                      James Chivers
                      6th Feb 1742
                      West Challow, Berkshire
                      Parents - John & Mary Chivers

Comment

BTW West Challow is about 20 miles to the north of Peasemore..

Comment

And Worminghall (if that's what it is) is about 30 odd miles to the north east of West Challow, on the other side of Oxford...
                          Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 29-03-10, 13:43.

Comment

That's interesting... looking at Worminghall's Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worminghall there is a Wornal Industrial Park there.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                              BTW West Challow is about 20 miles to the north of Peasemore..
                              It's much nearer, more like 10 miles. The Challows are just outside Wantage. The chap you've found sounds quite promising.

Comment

:D I was looking at a route plan on Google Maps, so may be I misread it... oops!

Sounds better though

Comment

Do we have any idea of his occupation, I wonder ... could he have gone away to serve an apprenticeship, for example.

Comment

Yes, I was wondering if there was something specific based at Worminghall??

Comment

Thank you all, you have been wonderful. By the way I have his will, am I allowed to show it on the thread? Sara.

Comment

I can't see that being a problem...

Comment

Working...
                                        X