Cannot connect via WIFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot connect via WIFI

Just turned laptop on and get an error message: A network security key is need to connect to WIFI

It was working fine this morning so not sure why this error message has appeared. I know the security key, which I have entered, but the message keeps reappearing and the computer will not connect via WIFI.

Does anyone have any ideas if it sounds like a problem with the wireless card on the computer or a problem with the router?
    Elaine

Just tried other laptop (not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place!) and that is connecting to the WIFI without any problem - so it must be a problem with the wireless card in this computer or the settings. Agh!!! I hate it when things don't work as they should!
    Elaine

Comment

so do I Elaine especially pcs hope you sort it out .

Comment

Elaine
        It could be that there is a 'stronger' WiFi signal that the laptop is picking up and so is trying to connect to that one.
        Does it show the correct name for the network when it asks for the encryption key?

If you have not set a 'default' network to connect to, the laptop will select the strongest signal first.

If it shows another network, you need to click on the wifi icon at the bottom right of your screen and select your network.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks for your interest Trevor.
          I did click on the wifi icon. It showed two possible connections - a T mobile dial up (which is the one we use in the UK via a dongle) and WI_FI HOME which is the correct name for our own connection. It's not picking up any other signals. If I ask it to connect to WI_FI HOME it tries and then says encryption key needed.
          Elaine

Comment

Well for some reason, despite having rebooted a couple of times yesterday, I have switched the laptop on this morning, disconnected the ethernet cable and the WIFI is working without any problem ... at least for the time being!
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

All these problems that we fight with everyday sorting out our computers. I wonder just what the UK government are thinking of when they want the whole nation to become Computer Literate. I feel sorry for people who have not even got an interest in a computer. One really wonders just how things will work out. Having to do all their banking, booking air travel and check in the list is endless.
              I have had a PC since 1987 and still have not put my family tree on it. By the time I have done other work on it and sorted problems the domestic's kick in.
              I am close to yet another problem if I buy an Apple Mac. Pleased that you have sorted your laptop out.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

What is so annoying is why it works one moment and not the next!

A friend of mine asked me to have a look at her laptop a couple of days ago - she was about to throw it away as she couldn't connect to the internet any longer. It's a very old machine given to her by another friend and she thought it had finally given up the ghost. I pressed two keys - to switch the wireless network card back on - and all was well!
                Elaine

Comment

I am having problems with my laptop connecting to the internet. It connected ok yesterday morning but not later in the day & not at all today, although it did connect to MSN for a while. I can't work out what the problem is, as the broadband box is clearly working ok, or I wouldn't be here now.
                  Lynn

Comment

One very common problem with WIFI these days is caused by energy saving light bulbs.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

How strange!!! My problem seems to have sorted itself out now, thank heavens
                      Lynn

Comment

I had problems with the internet yesterday - twice it dropped the connection, in the afternoon for about an hour and then again about 10 pm for must have been at least a couple of hours - I gave up about 11.30 and went to bed. It was back to normal this morning.

Joy

Comment

I keep getting this message when I try to open my Google Home Page (default). If I close the page my Google Home Page is open behind it.
                          Do you think it is something to do with MS now that they have to give us a choice of browser. I have had many problems since that was introduced.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
                          You are not connected to the Internet.
                          The website is encountering problems.
                          There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
                          Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
                          The website is temporarily unavailable.
                          The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
                          The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
                          If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
                          To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
                          Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.
                          Last edited by Margaret N; 21-04-10, 20:46.
                          Margaret N
                          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Lost my connection again this evening :( I've been thrown off for about an hour but now its come back. I wonder whats going on? :(

Joy

Comment

Working...
                            X