Help needed to find Lavin family from Hull in 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to find Lavin family from Hull in 1871

Trying to track my Mary Ann Lavin from before her marriage in Blackburn, Lancs.

With husband:

1881 Head: John Speight 27 b1854 Preston. General labourer.
    Wife: Mary A. 23 b1858 Hull. Cotton winder
    Children: Mary b1879
    Elizabeth A. b1877
    Chapel St Civil par: Rishton

Marriage: BMD John Speight + Mary Ann Lavin 6/1874
    Blackburn Vol 8e p693

So, she was living in Blackburn, probably Rishton, from 6/1874. Perhaps she and family who were in cotton trade came for work here by 1871. Know from census she was born in Hull area.

Cannot find her other than family in 1861 below with variation of spelling of surname. Have used wild card for surname on Ancestry.

1861 Fa: John Laven b1829 Staleybridge, Cheshire. Cotton spinner.

Mo: Ann b1835 Staleybridge.
    Children:
    Edward b1854 Hull. Scholar.
    Mary A b1856 Hull. Scholar.
    Eliza b1860 Hull

5 Frederic Place Civil par/reg district: Sculcoates St Mary
    Ecc par: St Paul Sub-reg district: E. Sculcoates

Free BMD birth: 3/1857Mary Ann Laven Sculcoates 9d 131 – this is the Mary in 186. Only one and nil for Lavin.

Ancestry BMD birth: Mary Ann Laven Jan q 1857 Sculcoates, Yorkshire – E. Riding 9d 131.

I have searched in 1871 for each member of the 1861 Lavens and put location as Blackburn but cannot find. Just off to see if any of them turn up in 1881 anywhere.

Thanks for reading this and for any advice or help.

UPDATE: Mary's father died before 1871:

John Laven b1829 death reg Apr q 1869 Sculcoates Yorkshire - East Riding 9d 106

Looks like they are still in Sculcoates in 1871 as this could be Mary's sister:

There is another Eliza born about 1861 showing in Sculcoates with different parents and sibs in 1871 so could be her too.

BMD Marriage: Eliza Lavin Jan q 1877 Sculcoates Yorkshire - East Riding
    9d 271
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 24-03-10, 10:53.
    Liz

This might be Mary's brother from 1861:

BMD death: Edward Lavin b1855 reg Oct q 1889 Hull (1854 Onw)
    Yorkshire - East Riding, Humberside 9d 182

UPDATE: Looks like he married -
    BMD Marriage: Edward Laven Oct q 1873 Sculcoates Yorks - E Riding 9d 316 to Lavinia Nellis, Mary Hetherington, Hannah Head.
    Cannot find any of them in 1881.

Thanks if you have read this - know it is not an easy one. Have to be offline now for rest of pm.
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 24-03-10, 11:29.
    Liz

Comment

.. and a possible remarriage for mother Ann

Marriages Mar 1874
      CALEY Elizabeth
      Hinds Elizabeth
      Laven Ann
      McMahon William
      OLIVER Thomas
      Sculcoates 9d 303

and 1881 census
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine...you cracked it. I thought I would have to give up on this one. It is the one branch of my friend's tree I hadn't been able to do much on - he will be really pleased.

I couldn't make out the profession for Edward in 1871 census for Ann, widow. It looked like Oil? Miller. Do you know what it is Elaine?

And in the 1881 census with Ann Oliver. Her daughter Margret's occupation is?
        Square rapper in Blue Works? I am so used to the weavers and miners, these occupations are new to me...

This explains what a blue works is: http://www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/blue.htm
        Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 25-03-10, 07:34.
        Liz

Comment

Old occupation website defines oil miller:

Oil Miller - Miller of seed to extract oils for food manufacture. Rapeseed, cottonseed, linseed etc. Cottonseed oil was also used to lubricate the spinning mule.
          Liz

Comment

It would probably be worth making use of YorkshireBMD as well.

For instance:
            Eliza's 1877 marriage to Robert WATSON, took place in Sculcoates Register Office.
            And,
            in 1873, Edward married Mary HETHERINGTON at All Saints Church in Sculcoates - so you might be able to get a copy of the original parish register entry.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
              Old occupation website defines oil miller:

Oil Miller - Miller of seed to extract oils for food manufacture. Rapeseed, cottonseed, linseed etc. Cottonseed oil was also used to lubricate the spinning mule.
              And if you ever go round a restored windmill or watermill, you'll often find they've been converted from grinding corn to seed-milling or producing animal feed.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Christine - that is a v. useful resource.

Uncle J - v. interesting learning new occupations by researching different area.
                Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
                  Thanks Christine - that is a v. useful resource.
                  <...snip...>
                  I find this a useful site to keep in Favourites/Bookmarks: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
                  It is a site devoted to links - BMD, census, one-name, and such like - and very well-organised.

It has a couple of sister link-sites for lists (e.g. Directories) and (newly) military history.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine - now in mine. The OPC websites are fantastic where the registers have been transcribed. The Lancs one is good.
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X