Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger record in australia

I seaching for a passenger list for

the Suprise, in 1855 coming to Australia.

I have MILLS Alfred as meant to arrived in Australia on the ship but I just can't seem to locate anything to verify that. Alfred was born in 1840 so he would only have been 15 if shipping arrival is correct.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheran
    Cheran

Hi Cheran - whereabouts was he meant to have been in Aus?
    (1831 SS Surprise, the first steamship built in Australia, launched at Sydney)
    The ship doesn't seem to be in here for 1855 http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/
    Do you think the year could be wrong or he might have been on a different ship?
    Last edited by naomiatt; 24-03-10, 01:00.

Comment

Do you know which city he came to ? Incoming records for Sydney Newcastle, and early records for Port Melbourne and Brisbane are on-line

The Victorian Public Records Office has records for Migrants arriving on the Surprise in Jun 1855, but does not liist Alfred Mills - the Surprise only had paying passengers not assisted migrants

We couldn't locate this page on our website. Sorry!   We do our best to ensure that all of the links on our website are working correctly so you may be using a bookmarked link to content that is no longer available. The specific content you're looking for may have changed or been retired (such as any links to access the collection). If you go directly to prov.vic.gov.au you should be able to navigate to the content you're seeking by searching the catalogue (for records) or website (for articles, blogs or other website content).

Can't see any passenger lists reported in the newspapers for the June 1855 arrival

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 24-03-10, 04:43. Reason: more info
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Arrival is the problem

[QUOTE=dicole;1999804]Do you know which city he came to ? Incoming records for Sydney Newcastle, and early records for Port Melbourne and Brisbane are on-line

The Victorian Public Records Office has records for Migrants arriving on the Surprise in Jun 1855, but does not liist Alfred Mills - the Surprise only had paying passengers not assisted migrants

We couldn't locate this page on our website. Sorry!   We do our best to ensure that all of the links on our website are working correctly so you may be using a bookmarked link to content that is no longer available. The specific content you're looking for may have changed or been retired (such as any links to access the collection). If you go directly to prov.vic.gov.au you should be able to navigate to the content you're seeking by searching the catalogue (for records) or website (for articles, blogs or other website content).

Can't see any passenger lists reported in the newspapers for the June 1855 arrival

Sorry I have been away in Melbourne for a few days so haven't been on line......

All the information I have researched and confirmed so far of Alfred shows he lived and died in South Australia was born in Jersey in the Channel Islands and was in Jersey in the 1851 cenusus. Family information is that he came on the Surprise but I just can't seem to locate any records to confirm how or where he came into Australia or South Australia.

Cheran
        Last edited by cheran; 29-03-10, 21:41.
        Cheran

Comment

Hi - do you have his burial and marriage info? I wonder if the addresses etc will provide some clues.
          What about his occupation? Have you found the birth record?

Comment

His wifeburied in Port Pirie but I haven't been able confirmed if he is buried with her and his occ is listed as Caretaker for Cemetary, Councilworker at Yankalilla.
            I even have an Obit from the Port Pirie paper for his wife which states the Surprise as the how he came to South Australia.
            He was born in St Peter Port, Guernsey 1840 died 1929 in Linden Park
            I have paper ntoice of their 60th Anniversary in 1920. they were married in 1860 lived in Yankalilla and Port Pirie.

I just can't seem to find any records with details of theSurprise into South Australia in 1855.
            Last edited by cheran; 31-03-10, 00:17.
            Cheran

Comment

South Australian inwards passengers are very limited - you might only find a passenger listing in the Adelaide newspaper. Thats all I found for mine who arrived to Adelaide in 1849, but a few days later travelled on to Melbourne. Some Adelaide passenger lists have been transcribed, but I am not sure if they have an organised repository like NSW.

Perhaps the Surprise arrived in Melbourne and he shipped onwards to Adelaide, rather than arriving direct to Adelaide.

Di
              Last edited by dicole; 31-03-10, 05:14.
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                Perhaps the Surprise arrived in Melbourne and he shipped onwards to Adelaide, rather than arriving direct to Adelaide.
                I think that's very likely. In the 1850s there was an enormous traffic between Liverpool and Melbourne, with sheep and gold being the main attraction. I can't think there was much long-haul traffic to Adelaide, which was (apologies if I've got it wrong) very much smaller at that time.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X