X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilgress and keeble as secondary names in the pipe family

Hi folks

I've been doing some research for a friend, and have discovered the name
    Wilgress running through many generations of the Pipe amd Miller farming families in Suffolk.

This appears as Deborah Wilgress Pipe or John Wilgress Pipe and dates back as far as the mid-1700s, and is present in the 20th century.

e.g.

IGI Individual Record
    KEEBLE PIPE
    Event(s):
    Christening: 08 FEB 1778 Bredfield, Suffolk
    Parents:
    Father: JOHN WILGRESS PIPE
    Mother: ELIZABETH
    Source Information:
    Batch Number: 8604232 Sheet: 33 Source Call No.:1396158 Type: Film

Name: William Wigress Pipe Birth: 1 Aug 1905Death: Ipswich, Suffolk, EnglandDeath: Jan-Feb-Mar 1980

This has now been adopted by the Miller family following Deborah's marriage to Fred Miller in 1872.

I'd dearly love to know who brought the name to the Pipes in the first place.

Thank you kindly

Orbit

Last edited by OrbitalAthlete; 24-03-10, 00:43.

FEGAN, LOUGHLIN Co Down, IOM; SWEENEY, CLAYTON Co Cork; LILLYWHITE Sussex, Hampshire; BEARMAN, ENNEW Essex, Kent; STAPLETON, BRAYBROOKS Beds; ELDRIDGE, ALDRIDGE, HALLUM, London; IVENS, GODSON, HAMMOND, HORE Bucks; GIBB, HANSTEY, MARSHALL Northumberland;
    GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

Found a website with the name Wilgress deaths in the mid 1700's - don't know if your friends would be interested. http://www.pope-genealogy.me.uk/Parham.htm. I wonder where Wilgress originated? No Pipes or Millers on this site though

Ayse

Comment

just had to have a look for Wilgress and Pipe. Jeremy Wilgress 1650-1679 married Elizabeth Pipe (1655-1679) - found on Ancestry but no sources. Location Norfolk
      Ayse

Comment

My friend has WILGRESS as a middle name in her AVES family - they seem to be from Cambridgeshire -Emma WILGRESS Aves b1846 then her niece Fanny WILGRESS Aves born 1878. The name might have come to the family from Fanny AVES (Maiden name unknown) b abt 1788, who apparently came from Melton Suffolk. I have not done enough work on this family to find the WILGRESS root, but I will follow up now
        Diane
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thank you all very much.

You are obviously brighter than me.... I looked on Ancestry and missed it.

Must be an age thang!!

Best wishes

Orbit

FEGAN, LOUGHLIN Co Down, IOM; SWEENEY, CLAYTON Co Cork; LILLYWHITE Sussex, Hampshire; BEARMAN, ENNEW Essex, Kent; STAPLETON, BRAYBROOKS Beds; ELDRIDGE, ALDRIDGE, HALLUM, London; IVENS, GODSON, HAMMOND, HORE Bucks; GIBB, HANSTEY, MARSHALL Northumberland;

Comment

It was just a bit of luck - I searched family trees and put in Wilgress and Pipe in the mother and father's name. Nothing appeared but I chanced a go at looking at an early Wilgress and bingo there is was. Just chance. Sometimes I've looked for stuff and not been able to find anything. I know I feel very silly when someone comes up with the answer I've been looking for. Still it's great when folk help out.

Good luck

Ayse

PS not an age thing
            Last edited by ayse; 25-03-10, 08:30. Reason: Just to add PS

Comment

I have taken my friends AVES back a bit further through the IGI and have come up with the following
              Fanny Ayres b 1788 Melton Suffolk m James Aves
              her parents were John Ayres and Fanny Pipe. Fanny Pipe's parents were Samuel Pipe and Fanny Shephard and they had other children in Melton called
              Philip Wilgress Pipe in 1783 and Bett Wilgress Pipe in 1785, Nathaniel Brown Pipe 1784 and Deborah Pipe 1792.

If you do a google search on Wilgress Pipe, you will find there are some forums/message boards for the PIPE surname with some mentions of the Wilgress middle name, none I can see about its origins though. But you might make contact with some other family members.

Di
              Last edited by dicole; 25-03-10, 10:40. Reason: more info
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

John Wilgress Pipe was the son of Samuel Pipe and Susan Chandler, according to the IGI and the POPE website suggested by Ayse has a burial for Nath (Nathaniel )Chandler buried in 1744 at St Marys Parham, with a note "grandson of John Wilgress, buried 18 Aug 1766". I think there's a chance the two Samuels could be related. You would need to follow these clues up and see if further information confirms the IGI entries, probably searching parish records, as these are too early for certificates.

The IGI has an entry for John Willgrace, baptised at Parham Suffolk 1674, another for Nathaniel Chandler in 1724, but it will take some work to link them together.

Di
                Diane
                Sydney Australia

Comment

I would be interested in any information too as I am a direct descendant on this line. My grandfather is Sam Wilgress Pipe 1861 - 1940 descending through Keeble Wilgress Pipe, John Wilgress Pipe 1776 - 1850 (Mary Ann Pinkney) to John Wilgress Pipe 1753. According to my family tree the next line is Sam Pipe marrying Susan ? who is descended from Keeble Chandler and Deberah Wilgress (married 1726)

Neither my father (Samuel Ronald Hartridge Pipe) nor I have carried the name down.

Tony Pipe

Comment

Thank you very much everybody.

The plot thickens.

I have Deborah Wilgress Pipe 1847 dau of
                    Keeble Pipe 1819 m 1845 Mary Ann Fairs [marr cert] son of
                    Thomas Pipe 1786 [brother of John Wilgress Pipe 1776 - 1850 (Mary Ann Pinkney)] marr Mary Alexander 1811 son of
                    John Wilgress Pipe b 1753 marr Elizabeth King son of
                    Samuel Pipe b Framlingham, Suffolk 1724 m Susan Chandler in Dennington 1746 son of
                    John Pipe c1691 mar Mary Ralph 1716

Thank you very again

Orbit

Comment

Hi everybody

I thought I'd just give you an update.

Tony, your info confirms what I discovered.

There is an excellent website belonging to

Peter Anthony Brown

http://seggeryft.users.btopenworld.com/PAB/index.htm which has a wealth of information.

Best wishes

Orbit

Comment

I've been looking through a copy of the Monk Soham parish records for my own family and found this stuff in the burials: 1771 June 9th William son of Wm and Mary Pipe; July 30th Susan Pipe buried: 1772 April 19th Martha d of William and Mary Pipe; April 26th William Pipe buried: 1799 24/6/1799 Keble Pipe aged 21; Sept 25th Elirth Pipe an infant: 1800 George Pipe 23/8/1800 infant. 1824 - Elizabeth Pipe buried 6/9/1824 aged 68; 1831 John Wilgress Pipe buried Aug 7th 1831 aged 79.

Hope this is helpful to someone who has Pipe and Wilgress family - I'll post the births and marriages when I have had a look. The book can be viewed at this website http://www.archive.org/details/regis...aris00monkrich

Ayse

Comment

Thank you very much, Ayse

Best wishes

Orbit :-)

Comment

There is one marriage in Monk Soham. 25th October 1840 John Pipe of age, batchelor, son of Jeremiah Pipe and Sarah Marsh, a minor spinster servant, daughter of Robert Marsh after Banns by J.H.Groome Rector.

Just starting on the births

Ayse

Comment

Baptisms in MoNk Soham:
                              1733 Jerrypins son of Jeremy and ..... Pipe was baptised 8 July
                              1742 Rachael daughter of James and Bonetta Pipe was baptised 8 May
                              1743 Melissa daughter of James and Bonetta Pipe baptised 24th July
                              1763 William son of William Pipe and and Mary his wife baptised 11 December
                              1769 Martha daughter of William and Mary Pipe baptised July 16th
                              1799 George son of John Pipe and Elizabeth nee King born 17th March, baptised 10 November
                              1867 Alice daughter of Jermiah and Elizabeth Pipe baptised July 14th

These are all the baptisms listed.

Ayse

Comment

Thank you very much, Ayse

Best wishes

Orbit :-)

Comment

I'm coming into this a little late and I apologise if I'm not answering the heart of your question. I have some further details to add about the name, however.

The name Keeble Wilgress Pipe has been carried forward in my branch of the family. My oldest brother has this name. I also have Wilgress for a middle name and now one of my older brothers has given it to his son as a middle name. My father tells me that there is a village in East Anglia where there has been a Keeble Wilgress Pipe for hundreds of years (it might be Grundisburgh, where his family comes from). Perhaps a place to start?

It is a Middle English word that means 'wild pig'. A cause for amusement (particularly from my younger sister when she found the definition), but when considered in the context of a much older England when the wild boar was one of the fiercest creatures on the British Isles, it evokes some sense of a warrior's name (my speculation). In addition, there was also a pirate named Captain Wilgress who foraged the Carribean after originating from Great Yarmouth.

More speculation- There was considerable Dutch migration to England during the 16th and 17th centuries. Norwich and London were the cities that drew the most of these. 'Wilgress' in my mind, seems to share some of the same roots as 'wildebeest', which is a Dutch word that means 'wild beast' or 'wild cow'. If I draw a long bow, my speculation is that Wilgress is Dutch in origin. Interestingly, these immigrants arrived at about the same time as the Hugenots were fleeing France (again, bound for East Anglia). 'Pipe' also has some of its origins in France.

Can you keep me posted on your hunt, please? Let me know if any of the above is helpful at all.

Comment

Thank you Ian.... shall do

Mark

Comment

It may be of interest that my Gt Grandmother was Serena Wilgress Pipe b.1854. Dau of John Wilgress Pipe b.1819 and Rebecca Copas. John was son of Samuel Pipe b.1783 and Lucy. Info from a family tree produced by Raymond Cawley b.1920 Gt. Grandson of John Wilgress Pipe b.1819(above). It appears that Raymond was involved in tracing Wilgresses in need, providing funds from a Wilgress trust and an Aunt of mine received some money back in the 1980's !
                                      (no further info on this. ) His short history of Suffolk Pipes, which I have, says Pipes married into the Wilgress family who, were decendants of the Carter family of Great Yarmouth and it seems that the Trust Fund was set up by John Carter in perpetuity for ' Poor Kindred'.
                                      Lambo1

Comment

Originally posted by lambo1 View Post
                                        It may be of interest that my Gt Grandmother was Serena Wilgress Pipe b.1854. Dau of John Wilgress Pipe b.1819 and Rebecca Copas. John was son of Samuel Pipe b.1783 and Lucy. Info from a family tree produced by Raymond Cawley b.1920 Gt. Grandson of John Wilgress Pipe b.1819(above). It appears that Raymond was involved in tracing Wilgresses in need, providing funds from a Wilgress trust and an Aunt of mine received some money back in the 1980's !
                                        (no further info on this. ) His short history of Suffolk Pipes, which I have, says Pipes married into the Wilgress family who, were decendants of the Carter family of Great Yarmouth and it seems that the Trust Fund was set up by John Carter in perpetuity for ' Poor Kindred'.
                                        Lambo1
                                        Thank you... that is fascinating... wonder whether there's any money left!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X