Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.

In 1901, my grandfather (Harry Robert Wynniatt) was working, and living in at Stanton Court in Gloucestershire. He was working for Mary Wedgewood as a groom.
    In 1901, my grandmother (Janet Skilling) was living at The Lodge, Hatfield Court, in Herefordshire. Her father (Benjamin Hunter Skilling) was gardener to Gibson Dyson esq. of Hatfield Court.
    It seems unlikely that they would have commuted during their courtship, so I think it more likely that my grandfather went to work at Hatfield Court as well, as he and my grandmother were married in Leominster in January 1903. Is it possible for anyone to find out anything which might corroborate this. They moved to Grove Vale, Great Barr, Staffordshire around 1905, where my grandfather was a coachman. Any information on Hatfield Court or Gibson Dyson for around that time will also be much appreciated.

Of course, you don't know how long they were engaged - a long engagement would not be unusual, whilst the couple saved up to afford their own home to rent, and to furnish it. Their courtship may have been done by letter, with a meeting once a year or whatever.

Unless you can find family papers with addresses and so on, I'm not sure how you could tell.

OC

Comment

A long shot but worth a try....

If you find the 'Houses' they were employed in then they may be other records, wages books ect, you can access in record offices to 'Put meat on the bones'

Good luck

Chris
      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Hi - were the owners of Hatfield Court and Stanford Court connected to each other?
        You might find something in British History on line - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/subject.aspx?subject=5

Comment

Working...
        X