No announcement yet.

McGill(icuddy) Jeremiah, to USA 1848 with Sarah (Leslie) sons John and James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGill(icuddy) Jeremiah, to USA 1848 with Sarah (Leslie) sons John and James

I am looking for any information about the parents and siblings of James Herbert McGill[icuddy] born 17.7.1831, youngest son of Jeremiah and Lady Sarah (Leslie), who went to the USA in 1848.

A brother John became a jesuit teacher in St Louis with the Jesuit University in St Louis in 1854.
    John Aloysius McGill(icuddy) from 1868 – 1876 was Administrator and Vicar General of Covington at the end of which time he returned to the Jesuits whence he had come.
    He died while with the Detroit province Society of Jesus in 1880.

I am trying to trace his family origins, including any details of his parents and siblings, and any correspondence which may be preserved. I have some details of James McGill in Australia who is my main interest, and a reference to a Lieutenant Colonel McGill as another brother. I expect there were more siblings in the USA as well as his parents as possible sisters include
    i. Ellen McGILLICUDDY, baptized 20 Oct 1835 in Milltown, Kerry, Ireland.
    ii. Anne McGILLICUDDY, baptized 6 Aug 1837 in Killarney, Kerry, Ireland..

I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Dennis Wright

Sorry Dennis but have had to remove your e-mail address, as we do not allow the open posting of them. It must have not been spotted earlier. It would have to be sent by PM -
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-03-15, 08:29.

Welcome to FTF, Dennis!

Can you give us any indication of where you've already looked so that we don't waste time looking in the same places you've already found not to be of use?... Although corrections to transcriptions can move those goalposts very easily!

My first thoughts would be to look at Castle Garden &/or Ellis Island, for their crossing, the IGI-beta site for records of BMD/census - and a few other things. EDIT: and Google, Ancestry trees (in case of any clues - wouldn't rely on anyone else's tree, without back-up).

Christine

EDIT 2: This looks worth a bit of research...
    Result of combination of Google/Ancestry: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames....dy/6.1/mb.ashx
    Cornelius McGILLICUDDY, b. before 1789, Ireland. He married Catherine McCARTHY, b. before 1789, Ireland.
    I. John McGILLICUDDY, b. ca 1810, Ireland, christened 30 Oct 1805, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland. He married Bridget, m. in Ireland, b. ca 1817, Ireland. John died 1861, Cork, York, NB.
    II. Daniel McGillicuddy, b. ca 1801, Ireland, christened 12 Apr 1805, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland. He married Margaret BERRY, m. 2 Feb 1835, in St. Mary's, Currow, Kerry, Ireland, b. ca 1815, Ireland, d. 1897, York, NB, buried: 1897, Canterbury Roman Catholic. Daniel died 1887, York, NB, buried: 1887, Canterbury Roman Catholic.
    III. Cornelius McGILLICUDDY, christened 9 Feb 1808, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.
    IV. Jeremiah McGILLICUDDY, christened 11 Mar 1811, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.
    V. Eugene McGILLICUDDY, christened 27 Nov 1813, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.
    VI. Florence McGILLICUDDY, christened 15 Apr 1816, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.
    VII. Patrick McGILLICUDDY, christened 2 Apr 1820, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-03-10, 13:26.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

James McGill

Thanks for the suggestion. Most of my efforts have been concentrated in tracing descendents, with some success. In the reverse direction the connection to John was given by the US Jesuits from their records along with the name McGillicuddy rather than McGill. The names Jeremiah and Sarah were from James' death certificate, verified by UK descendents who also referred to her as "Lady" Sarah. They have not so far been able to provide any more detail, and I have found no peerage listing for her. Given that they were Catholic and from Ireland at the time, I think it unlikely. My access to Ancestry is a library version which is limited, and attempts to trace Jeremiah and Sarah's deaths have been fruitless so far. James' family claimed he was West Point trained, but he does not appear on their student list. He came to Australia by 1954 and led a group of Californians, but was very young, and while his death certificate says born Boston USA, he appears to have been Irish. I have two different birth years for him. Perhaps he was trying to change identity.

Comment

Hi - this site may be useful http://homepage.eircom.net/~dinglema...KER/index.html and

Kerry Local History & Archives Collection
        Kerry County Library,
        Moyderwell,
        Tralee,
        County Kerry.
        Ireland.

Tel: +353 (066) 712 1200 (County Library), and (Local History & Archives Department)
        Fax: + 353 (066) 712 9202 (County Library), and (Local History & Archives Department)

Email: info@kerrycolib.ie and localhistory@kerrycolib.ie

Comment

Christine's reply led to the following:

Jeremiah MacGillicuddy(McGill) of Garahadoo
          m. Sarah Leslie (Lestu)
          15 Feb 1825 Killorglin, Kerry Ireland

1. Mary McGillicuddy b . ba 5 Jun 1825 Garrahadoo (Garrihidoo), Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland
          2. Cornelius McGillicuddy b . ba 24 Oct 1826 Killorglin, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland
          3. John MacGillicuddy b&. baptised 17 Aug 1828 (www.irishgenealogy.ie)
          4. Florence McGillicuddy, b . bap 1 Jan 1830, Killorglin, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland
          5. James Herbert McGill[icuddy] born 17.7.1831, Killorglin, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland (family and www.irishgenealogy.ie)
          6. Charles McGILLICUDDY, b. bap 2 Sep 1832, Killorglin, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland
          Shoemaker of Chelsea MA
          m. Mary Galvin 18 of Chelsea, 28 Dec 1851
          7. Alexander McGillicuddy b. 24 Feb 1834 Killorglin, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland
          Boot and shoemaker of Charlestown MA
          m. Mary Condon 21 of Charlestown 26 Aug 1855
          8. Ellen McGillicuddy b. 20 Sep 1835 bapt. 20 Oct 1835 Milltown, Kerry, Ireland
          9. Anne McGillicuddy b. 8 Jun 1837 bapt. 6 Aug 1837 Killarney, Kerry, Ireland
          10. Catherine Mcgillicuddy b bap 30 Jan 1839 Killorglin, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland
          All the above children are listed with parents Jeremiah McGillicuddy and Sarah Lesley.
          Now I am particularly interested in the movement of the family both to and around USA, especially James in the period before he left for Australia.
          Thanks all for the help so far.

Comment

Hi - is this site helpful? http://freespace.virgin.net/alan.tupman/sites/irish.htm
            and http://www.genealogybranches.com/irishpassengerlists/ and
            Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

There might also be some info on this site in the reference section I think.
            Last edited by naomiatt; 02-04-10, 23:18.

Comment

Hello .. not sure if you are still interested but our Family records show that Jerimiah McGillicuddy was the son of Charles McGillicudy and Nellie MacCrochan.

Apart from Jerimiah I also think they had 2 other sons, Owen and Timothy.

Few details on them but his parent was Philip McGillicuddy ( wife unknown ) who was the 4th Son of "The McGillicuddy of the Reeks" and Anne Blennerhasset who married in 1717.

New to this so still researching that lot but if it helps let me know.

In return do you have any information on Lady Sarah Leslie. I cant trace her ancestors.

Cheers Bill

Comment

Do you have birth date details for Jeremiah? I hold hopes for the following record from Ancestry.

“British regimental service
                Jeremiah McGillicuddy 46th Foot Regiment Age at Attestation 18 in 13 Jun 1822 Place of birth Kerry Castlemain- Where enlisted Bristol 5ft 6inches Hazle (sic) eyes Brown Hair enlisted for unlimited service.”

The family left Ireland circa 1848 for the USA, but while I have found sons there I have found no record of Jeremiah or Sarah, and so far I have no record of birth for either though their sons and daughters are listed.

If we are both lucky the service records might confirm a marriage to Sarah and give some clues as to her origins. One side of the family put her as a daughter of a Scottish person of rank enough to give her the title, but he died many years before she was born. The dates seem to indicate that she was pregnant when they married so records may be deliberately vague. The marriage record: Jeremiah MacGillicuddy(McGill) of Garahadoo
                m. Sarah Leslie (Lestu) 15 Feb 1825 Killorglin, Kerry Ireland Witness 1 ELIZABETH DE COURCY Witness 2 THOMAS GREADY suggests some upper class contacts.
                If Sarah died after 1848 he may have been the Jeremiah 1804- 1872 buried in Savannah GA, who is interred in a tomb with an Ellen who may have been his daughter, (after marrying a second time).

Thanks, Dennis

Sorry Dennis but have had to remove your e-mail address, as we do not allow the open posting of them. It would have to be sent by PM
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-03-15, 08:27.

Comment

McGillicuddys

As a second thought, do you have any records of the connection of Charles to Philip? So that I can tie you in to my view of the McGillicuddys, where do you fit in? I have records of most of the families from James down to the present, but limited data about the other siblings. My main interest is collecting more on James' background to understand his involvement at Eureka. Your input would appear to confirm his links to the McGillicuddy of the Reeks, but I am yet to find any records of military experience.

Dennis

Originally posted by BelmontBill View Post
                  Hello .. not sure if you are still interested but our Family records show that Jerimiah McGillicuddy was the son of Charles McGillicudy and Nellie MacCrochan.

Apart from Jerimiah I also think they had 2 other sons, Owen and Timothy.

Few details on them but his parent was Philip McGillicuddy ( wife unknown ) who was the 4th Son of "The McGillicuddy of the Reeks" and Anne Blennerhasset who married in 1717.

New to this so still researching that lot but if it helps let me know.

In return do you have any information on Lady Sarah Leslie. I cant trace her ancestors.

Cheers Bill

Comment

Several of the records I have checked list Philip as "dsp" which means died without issue. I hope you can make the connection to Charles and then to Jeremiah.

Regards,

Dennis

Comment

Dennis you can send a message to BelmontBill by clicking on his username in blue that will give an option to send a Private Message to him as you are not allowed to add an e mail address here on an open forum which will be removed by Moderators.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                      X