Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wichnowski, new zealand

hey guys,

having trouble finding a birth for a meta minnie louisa wisnowski/wichnowski, in 1895. can you search by wildcard in the new zealand indexes? i just cant find a record without a wildcard!

No, sorry, it won't accept wildcards.

Comment

I found a couple of WISHNOWSKI births with refs 1895/6 (I searched 1894-5), but neither is the name-set you're looking for. I mention them, just in case they are connected somehow.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you tried to see if there's anything in Papers Past for you?

For instance, there's a naturalisation mention for a Carl WISCHNOWSKY in November 1890.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a military and also four probate files in the NZ Archives using the spelling of WISHNOWSKI as well as files using WISHNOWSKY

Do you know the names of her parents?
          Besides these spellings, there is also a birth showing spelt WISNOWSKY

Found her** - 1896/2579 Wischnowsky Metta Mina Lousia Wilhelmina Carl

Three more with the same parents as well - although you might find more using other spelling variants
          1890/2212 Wishnowsky** Eleanor Amelia Matilda Wilhelmina Carl
          1893/17264 Wishnowsky Arthur Walter Wilhelmina Carl
          1891/13786 Wisnowsky** Hugo Henry Herman Wilhelmina Carl
          Last edited by naomiatt; 23-03-10, 09:03.

Comment

Well done, Naomi! I tried lots of variants, but obviously without sufficient determination.

Interesting that they all have the name Carl along with the surname - makes that naturalisation look a probable instead of a possible.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine - thanks! Wilhelmina and Carl are the parents - sorry, I didn't make that clear..so yes, agree with you about the Carl that you found.
              With the searching, I have names ending in itz...and have found them with itch, witch, wich, vich, vitz etc etc etc so figured it could be the same scenario! I call them my 'itches'!!

Comment

thank you so much! this is my friends great grandmother, and we were having trouble on this line. so her 2nd great grandparents were polish. cool!

Comment

Be good if your friend could apply for Carl's naturalisation info....did she know of the other children?

Comment

she only knew meta's name. we hung out a bit this week, did the tree together. shes very excited about it all.

Comment

That's great isn't it...especially when you find more family than expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X