Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Births and Marriages

Hello All,
    This is my first post and I'm researching the Lee family who originated in Devonport, Devon. After finding family on the 1841 Census how can I go about finding their B & M Certs? I live in France and I'm hoping I may be able to do this over the net - any ideas/advice gratefully accepted.
    Howie

It is worth checking what you can find for free first free bmd and free reg are a goood place to start. Unfortunately you only get the index and have to pay for certificates.
    Anne

Comment

Just to further complicate things, Plymouth was badly bonmbed during the war, a lot of parish records were destroyed so there can be chunks missing if you are hoping to gain information this way. As Anne states FreeBMD is the best place to start but Lee is a fairly common name so there may be a few full starts.
      You can also look to see if devon family history society have books of transcriptions or CDs for the area, to buy, but as I say there may be records missing.
      Last edited by bubblebelle; 21-03-10, 18:15. Reason: sp
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Devon FHS certainly has useful CDs of transcribed registers.

There's one called the Three Towns (Devonport, East Stonehouse and Plymouth), which covers CMB records mainly before 1837.

They also have post-1837 transcriptions of marriages - up to quite recent dates.

Their site is definitely worth a look.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You may find these pages in FTF's Reference Library useful for information on ordering certificates (from 1837):

Pre-1837 you will need to search for parish registers. Here are some more links from the Reference Library which you may find useful:

Last edited by Cloggie; 22-03-10, 12:01.
          Sarah

Comment

Thanks for your advice and to Anne,bubblebelle and Christine will have a look at your suggestions and report back- probably asking for more help as well!!
            Howie

Comment

Working...
            X