Travelling Showman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling Showman

My Grandfather's occupation on my father's birth certificate is that of Travelling Showman.
    My father was born August 1911. I recently found my father's younger sister born in 1902
    in Nottingham. And his much older brother born in Oldham in 1899 'on a fairground'.
    I have hunted high and low on census (censii) including those of Travellers, but there is no sign.
    Please. If anybody comes across Walter Whiteley and his family, I would be thrilled.

What are the names of the sister born in 1902 and brother born in 1899?
    Elaine

Comment

Travelling Showman

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      What are the names of the sister born in 1902 and brother born in 1899?

Florence Lily was born in 1902 and Walter born 1899.

Comment

Don't know if this is your family. Names are the same.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy,

This is remarkable! I made contact with the owner of the tree within the past few weeks only, and was able to provide the information to him, which he kindly
          included in that branch. I believe my Grandparents married in 1894 and would have thought there may have been children born earlier than Walter in 1899,
          so am hoping to find them on census. I found Walter b 1899 on the CWGC site, the address given as his home address is the same as I have on the back of
          a photograph of his mother and brothers, he gave his age as 19 when he joined the military, but was in fact 16, and was killed in action at the age of 17.

Many thanks for you help. To say I am surprised at the speedy response in an understatement. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi

Have you considered obtaining the marriage cert for Walter Whiteley snr and Mary Ellen Greenhalgh? Only asking as there is a newer entry on freebmd for a marriage in 1906 Manchester which does cover the Collyhurst area where a Walter lived at time of signing up and florence married from.
            WendyP

Comment

Hi WendyP

I have the marriage certificates for Walter Whiteley and Mary Ellen Greenhalgh who married in Salford in 1894 and also for a Walter Whiteley and Mary Ellen Greenhalgh who married
              in 1906 residing in Collyhurst. Good point about Collyhurst. The reason I am thinking the earlier Walter and Mary Ellen are mine is due to learning only recently of the earlier
              births, i.e. 1899 and 1902, of my late dad's siblings. I have to admit I am totally confused as to who actually are my grandparents. I have been 'going with' the later ones until
              recently. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate any help.

Comment

Ok fair point

I'm abt to log off for the night but can you let me know who were the fathers of each of your Walters form 1894 and 1906 if noted and at time of marriage what was Walter's occupation.

I'll check and see then in morn.
                WendyP

Comment

Walter is listed on an Oldham Gov. site together with another 90 people from Oldham who were killed on the first day of the Battle of The Somme.... it contains only the same information as the CWGC except that for some reason it states he was born in Shaw.

Comment

Walter's (1894) father was Henry Whiteley, his occupation was a Wire Drawer, as was Walter's.
                    Henry was originally from Halifax before settling in Manchester.

Walter (1906) was described as a Sawyer, his father was John Whiteley, also a Sawyer.

Good Morning Everyone on the thread.

So wish I could edit my typo in the subject matter! But it has a nice ring to it.

Comment

forgot to ask last night. how old were Walter and Mary Ellen on each of the marriage certs you have and was there an address for either of them that they married from?
                      WendyP

Comment

Bora Da Colin. I have Walter's birth certificate and it does say Cowhill Chadderton. Maybe the birth was registered in Shaw, can't think of any other
                        explanation. Thanks for your help here, I hope equally to be able to offer my own assistance in the futureas everybody has been so helpful.

Comment

Ok had found Walter bn circa 1875 Bradford Lancashire with father Henry bn circa 1831 Halifax in the census up 1891 but nothing on this Walter after that,

will have to take a look later.
                          WendyP

Comment

Walter (1894) gave his age as 21 and was living at 1 East Philip Street
                            Mary Ellen was 20, she was living at 6 East James Street

according to the A-Z East Philip St is just on the biorder of Manchester and Salford
                            and then in 1906

Walter was 23 living at 68 Long Street
                            Mary Ellen was 21 and living at 2 Paris Street

Comment

Originally posted by RenniesGirl View Post
                              So wish I could edit my typo in the subject matter!
                              Have amended it for you!
                              Elaine

Comment

Thankyou Elaine.

I don't want anybody wasting their time on my behalf, I know it's expecting a great deal, but it is 1894 onwards I am interested in,
                                I have traced both sets of grandparents back as far as I can, and there is no clue as to who are mine that I can see, it seems to me
                                that my grandad was the first to take to the road, family rumour was that he had a Showman's caravan made to specification in
                                Burton-on-Trent, it is possible I suppose since I now have proof that Walter born 1899 was born in a 'van'. Bless them.

June

Comment

Hello again Wendy and all on the thread,

Wendy, I cannot believe I missed your mention of Florence getting married from the address in Collyhurst, it looks like I have switched to the 'wong' set of grandparents after all.

I am horribly confused. lol I met a lady online who lives in Australia, formerly of Manchester, Lancs, and we connected as cousins through my Gt. Grandmother. We were in touch
                                  often, letters, phone calls, e-mails, then I decided the ones who married in 1906 could not be mine, having a son born in 1899. This lady came over on a visit last year, fortunately
                                  not just to myself, but brought along her brother who lives in Manchester and the likeness between him and a photo of my late grandmother is remarkable.
                                  I will further my search now to include the Walter and Mary Ellen who married in 1906, first things first, obtaining Florence's marriage cert. Unless you can advice me on any other
                                  actions I can take. Fortunately my 'cousin' and I have decided to remain cousins in spite of, she is convinced that the 1906 grandparents are mine! Thanks again and sorry to resurrect this
                                  yet again.

Comment

Working...
                                  X