Searching for the Davies family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for the Davies family

I have just got back into contact with a second cousin on my dad's paternal line and have just realised that I haven't really looked into the family of the great grandmother we both share :o

Her name is Mercy Maria Davies born in 1875 in Hampshire.

Here she is in 1881 with her parents http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...ln=Davies&st=g

When she married my great grandfather, Gilbert Eldridge, in Arlington, Sussex, on 2nd Sept 1895, her father's name is given as William James Davies, Coachman/gardener.

Here's her parents in 1901 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...lfriston.ALL.4.

I think I've found her mother Mercy's death in Eastbourne (where Mercy & Gilbert lived) in 1908.

William James is James W on the 1901 census, so it appears that he uses both names.

Please can you help me find William J or James W Davies in the census returns for 1851/1861/1871 as I can't find him, as well as his marriage to Mercy and her birth please. Also I can't find Mercy junior (born 1875) in 1891???

Many thanks for your help!

There is a Mercy David born Portsmouth living in Sussex on the 1891. When you look at the image it says Davis.
    Karen

Comment

That's her!! Thanks Karen

I think she must have met my great grandfather when he came to decorate the house (he was a house painter!) :D

Just got to find her elusive parents now -

William James/James William Davis b c1845 Buxted, Sussex
      & Mercy -?- b c1847 Wilton, Wiltshire

Comment

Marriage Mar 1875 in Portsea to a Mercy Spicer, on freebmd.
        Karen

Comment

Ahhh that's brilliant, thanks Karen - I kept searching on there and couldn't find anything.

I did however find a Mercy Spicer born in Wiltshire between 1846-1848, so least that confirms her now...

Comment

There is a William Davis with mother Mary, in Buxted on the 1851. The age I think ties in with his mother on the 1881 or 1891.

Did you see that someone has Mercy Spicer in a tree on ancestry.
            Karen

Comment

Just found the 1851 image, thank you. Did try Davis earlier, but nothing came up

Also found the marriage

Hadn't seen the contact on Ancestry.

Comment

This is brilliant - I'm tracing Mercy Spicer back through the census returns... found her in Portsea in 1861

Her mother was a schoolmistress!

Comment

Just found William James' parents James & Mary in 1861 & 1871, but no sign of him...

Comment

Not a lot of help - but one to consider for Mercy junior in 1891
                    Elaine

Comment

In the 1881 census William's mother is living with them - Mary Davies, born c 1817, Warbleton, Sussex

That would match in with the following:
                      Ancestry 1851 census
                      Ancestry 1861 census
                      Ancestry 1871 census

William appears on the 1851 census, but unfortunately disappears for the 1861 & 1871.
                      Elaine

Comment

Struggling to find what happened to William in 1861/1871 and a marriage to Mercy.
                        I think you might need the BC of one of the children for MMN

Births Sep 1875
                        Davies Mercy Maria
                        Portsea 2b 458
                        Elaine

Comment

Possibly marriage
                          William James DAVIS & Mercy Spicer 1875 Mar qtr Portsea.
                          In 1861 a Mercy Spicer born c1847 born Yevant Wiltshire, parents John & Maria living in Portsea Hampshire. Yevant is the birthplace given by Mercy Davies in 1881.
                          Moggie

Comment

Well done Moggie - not sure how I missed that!
                            Elaine

Comment

1851 census for Mercy, with parents John & Maria
                              Ancestry 1851 census
                              Elaine

Comment

I don't know how this happening Elaine, but I've just realised that I have 2 threads going on this, even though I only posted one last night... I'm totally confused!! :p

Anyway, I'm just merging the two of them... I'm sorry that some of the queries were solved last night... :o

Comment

No problem - kept me busy for a while! :D
                                  Elaine

Comment

I'm cross with myself for not researching this branch before, but then there's so many to do...

Comment

Working...
                                    X