Oxfordshire Burials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxfordshire Burials

Trying to find where GGf Alfred Hiles, died 1901 in Oxford is buried - I tried to do a search on FMP which says it has the NBI but Oxfordshire is not present in the counties list. Does anyone know if the NBI covers Oxfordshire?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

The following link gives you coverage of the NBI version3 (discs). These may, or may not, be on FMP as well.

Click on the blue county names to see parishes and time periods covered.
    Most of the Oxfordshire entries seem to end at 1850'ish.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, have had a look, and most entries for Oxford only go up to about 1850. Will have to have a rethink.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Have you had a look to see if there's anything likely to be useful-for-you from Oxfordshire FHS? They do have a lot of useful CDs, for instance.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a quick glance at their site - planning to go through it in further depth when I have more time this evening - I might end up with quite a list tho!

Thanks Christine.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Do you know whereabouts in Oxford he was living when he died? You could maybe narrow down the possibilities. There's some info on Oxford City Council website. Apart from the four main cemeteries still in use, they give details of closed churchyards. You would need to ask about charges.

Genealogy (Family History)
            Family histories can be traced from our manual records. All enquires must be made by prior arrangement for which there is a charge before information is released.

Disused/Closed Cemeteries and Churchyards
            There are disused/closed cemeteries at:

Osney - Mill Street
            St. Sepulchre's - Walton Street
            There are disused/closed churchyards at:

St. Giles
            St. Mary Magdalen
            St. Michael at the Northgate
            St. Cross in St. Cross Road which adjoins Hollywell Cemetery (not maintained by the City Council)
            St. James - Beauchamp Lane Cowley
            Ss Mary and John in Cowley
            Ss Mary and Nicholas in Littlemore
            St. Andrew's in Headington (not maintained by the City Council)

Comment

Hi Blackberry, I know the general area, but have just sent off for the death certificates for him and my ggm as hopefully that will give me their address at the time, which will help narrow it down. Thanks for the link, when I get the certs I will google the cemeteries and see if we have a winner!

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Hi, I have the NBI 3 and he is not on there, sorry.
                Tessie

Comment

Thanks for having a look Tessie, I think it may be a case of going round the cemeteries.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X