Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evacuated children WW2

good morning.
    does anyone know if records were kept of Evacuated Children in WW2 and if so , are there any links I can browse please....thanks ....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...n-and-Evacuees Found this page in the wiki ( eventually! I knew it was there somewhere!)

As for a list of who went where, other than in the Broadest sense ''children from Manchester went to HertfoRdshire'' for instance, I think are probably few and far between.

My maternal grandmother had two evacuee sisters and used to tell the most wonderful tales about then. Grandparents were farmers and lived in a village outside of a bigger market town.

These two little girls, my granny used to describe as ******* ( but then you did then) and often told the tale of how she'd put them in the bathtub in front of the fire and put pig fat in the water to oil their skin.

(Note: the word I used rhymes with Jigger)
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 19-03-10, 07:53.
    Jess

Comment

Thanks Jess....my dad went to Little Aughton by Southport and my Uncle went to Preston Brockhurst......it would appear that most of the Garston kids went to around Preston Brockhurst (Shropshire) but 2 kids ended up in a workhouse as their mum died and dad was killed ...I`m trying to help someone who is trying to find records on their family....thanks again.....I will pass on the link you gave me....will have a read now....cheers....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

I wonder how old the older children where, my dad would have been 13 - with no parents. Would he have been too old??. I have never found out who he was with or where he was from 10yrs old, until he went in the army......
        Jacky

Comment

My OH's uncle was 13 when he was evacuated from Eastbourne to Hertfordshire in 1944 - I recently found an exercise book with school work, and draft letters to his parents that he wrote while he was evacuated, which I have passed on to his sons.

If anyone is interested, I have the list the parents were given detailing what the children needed to take with them (clothes, shoes etc.)

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Looks like my Dad would have been evacuated....must try to look into this a bit more now.

Can i have a look at the list please, Linda.
            Jacky

Comment

hiya Jacky...my dad was 13...b 1926...he was evacuated.....allan

Comment

Thanks Alan, my Dad was born in 1926 as well!
                Jacky

Comment

IF you know the place they were evacuated to, try school log books (both for the host and home schools.) You will then get some sort of flavour about the life/routines of the children.

You could also write a letter to the local shop/pub in the host village, expressing an interest in evacuees in general, or naming your child if you so wish.

You MIGHT strike lucky!

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

As an ex evacuee myself from W War 2 I can tell you that there were NO official records kept by the government as to who went from where to where! However, some places have better records than others and your best bet is the local county record office or main library where you may be able to access school logs or records of any sort where whole schools were evacuated from places to the safety of other areas.

If your folk were from London then there are quite a lot of records at the LMA, (London Metropolitan Archives).

Liverpool evacuation like Plymouth was hastily arranged after the blitz they said would never happen to the Western part of the country! So many will be private arrangements and not through school and there are no records for those other than maybe school records that are around that they attended.

For Liverpool it would be best to approach the main county record office in Liverpool. The main organisation in this country for help with evauation is the ERA (Evacuees Reunion Association) at:

Second World War evacuation, operation pied piper, non profit making registered charity, The Evacuee, reunion, lost touch, membership, send them to safety, evacuate children during the war

However even the ERA cannot help with access to records.

Anybody interested in evacues going to Devon, which is where many people went when they were evacuated, this information is very patchy as so many records that might have been kept were lost in the blitz of both Plymouth and Exeter. Many people went to Cornwall and their records are better and kept in Truro.

When I was looking for information on my own evacuation I wrote to the school I went to and received some information on my early years. Some information I had already and just ferreted around for more in various libraries but most is still missing information sadly.

Many evacuees have been encouraged to write down their stories and deposit them within the archives as this is the only way for people in the future to have access to any records of this episode in our history, so all those who have relatives still alive as evacuees please do get them to write down their memories NOW. We are a dying breed!! I have my own memories lodged on the BBC site and I am a member of the ERA so maybe a plug here to join the ERA. I understand anybody can join now but please encourage your evacuee relatives to join.

The BBC ran a forum for story writing of experiences on the Home Front to coincide with the 60 Anniverasary of end of the Second World War in 2005, to include evacuation and these stories are very informative and might give people some clues as to what may have happened in their own areas. The sight is searchable by town/city/village name as well as looking for people you might have known. The evacuation part comes under "Childhood and Evacuation".

An archive of World War Two memories - written by the public, gathered by the BBC

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 01-04-12, 11:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                      Thanks Alan, my Dad was born in 1926 as well!
                      bet my dad could fight your dad...lol......I`ll bet that takes you back 40 years...ha ha .....allan

Thanks for the links Janet.....great info....allan

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                        bet my dad could fight your dad...lol......I`ll bet that takes you back 40 years...ha ha .....allan
                        :D;)
                        Jacky

Comment

I agree about school logbooks, ours records the London schools (and one from Lydd, Kent) which were evacuated here but also noted there were many "private evacuees" who were staying with friends or family informally.

Comment

Anyone wanting to research the background more deeply might get their library to obtain:

Richard Titmuss: History of the Second World War - Problems of Social Policy (HMSO, 1950)

There's also:

Jill Wallis: A Welcome in the Hillside? The Merseyside and North Wales Experience of Evacuation, 1939 - 1945 (Avid Publications, Bebbington, Wirral, 2000)

Comment

Thanks highland ranger, the Jill Wallis one looks good for me
                              Jacky

Comment

Hi Have been reading the threads with some interest as I have been trying to locate my Uncle who we believe was sent away during the War to South Africa, this has not been confirmed. If anyone can help please contact me. Can I thank you in advance.

Hi I'm trying to find a child evacuee during WW2 & wondered if you can help.

My Uncle John Eldridge born 1938 Hastings was we believed to have been shipped out to South Africa during the War but on searching CORB records & shipping records have drawn a blank. I'm thinking of opening up the search to include the UK but seem to be coming to the end of my capability in searching for John.

1944-6 my mothers parents divorced & lost contact so we don't know if John came back etc.

I'm just hoping you can point me in any direction to expand my search or point me in the direction for help from other people.

Many thanks.

Jason Pritchard

Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 19-01-11, 12:14. Reason: email address removed

Comment

Jason,
                                  Welcome to Family Tree Forum. I have removed your email address from your post as we prefer that these are not displayed on the forum.
                                  If anyone can help then they can send you a private message by clicking on your name to the left of your post.
                                  You have your options set so that you would receive email notification if someone contacts you by PM.
                                  Elaine

Comment

I know a lot of children went to Canada as evacuees. I worked for a lady who's mother was a GP and she was recruited to go with children, taking her own children too. I think sending children abroad stopped when the Germans fired on and sank one or more of the shps the children were on.
                                    My own aunt and her eldest son were evacuated from Southampton to Wales. She was expecting her second child at the time so D was born at Bedwelty in Monmouthshire.
                                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

My mother was evacuated from Southfields, South West London to St Johns, Woking, Surrey in 1939. She was 15 and went to school there for a couple of terms, but then went back home, left school and trained as a G.P.O. telephonist, then worked in the War Office on the switchboard. I wish I had asked her about where she stayed in Woking, but unfortunately I wasn't so interested in Family History before she died.
                                      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I know nothing about South African research but I have recently read a book about the evacuation programme and I remember that relatively few children were evacuated to South Africa and those that were, were some kind of "elite", in other words the children of professionals, boarders at public schools and so on. The riff raff didn't get sent to SA!

Of course, it could have been a private arrangement with distant family or friends but that should show up as ordinary passengers would.

EWDIT - I didn't mean to imply your family were riffraff, sorry! I just meant that you might be able to judge whether he went to SA or not by his family background at that time.
                                        OC
                                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 19-01-11, 18:55.

Comment

Working...
                                        X