Find my Past/Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find my Past/Ancestry

I am not certain if I have posted this query in the correct section but here goes:

I subscribe to Ancestry at the moment, the basic package but am getting fed up of trying to access certain parts of its data base, only to be told I have to upgrade my package.

A friend of mine uses "Find my Past" and can access the 1911 census, which Ancestry have yet to offer. I did not like to enquire how much she paid for the package she is on.

Could anyone tell me which - in their opinion - is the better programme. I have a while yet to run on Ancestry so will not be changing before Christmas 2010 but seriously thinking of changing after that.

It's a question that has been asked before and it's a very difficult one to answer!
    Both have the basic census returns from 1841-1901, with FMP having the 1911 census as well. You can search by address on FMP, whereas you can't on Ancestry (apart from the 1881 census)
    Both have BMD information - but on FMP you need to search for the information, whereas on Ancestry it is indexed (very useful for post 1916 information which isn't yet covered on freeBMD)
    Ancestry has a smallish collection of parish register info - the LMA databse (London Metropolitan Archives) probably the most useful generally.
    FMP has a much larger English/Welsh parish register collection - but only useful if it covers the areas you are interested in.
    Both have some military databases - Ancestry has images for WW1 Army Pension/Service Records - FMP is just putting on line records relating to Chelsea Pensioners.

It really goes on and on ... they both have a bit of everything and you really need to see what they offer and then make a decision as to which is more useful in your research.

Cost:
    Ancestry - basic UK package - £82
    Ancestry - premium UK package - can't remember off the top of my head, but something like £112
    Findmypast - annual package without the 1911 census - £94.90
    Findmypast - annual package with the 1911 census - £149.90
    Findmypast offer an automatic 20% loyalty discount when you renew your subscription. With Ancestry you have to haggle!

Not sure if that helps at all, but as I said a very difficult one to answer.
    Elaine

Comment

If you find you're wanting to access the "World" or "Deluxe" part of Ancestry, then its worth looking out for special offers, which are often posted on here. I recently took out the World package through Ancestry Canada & several people have had special offers from the Australian site. Some people have had good deals on an upgrade by ringing Ancestry & bargaining to upgrade for the remaining time left on the subscription.
      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Do FMP have a pay per view or few days access?

I've seen their Chelsea Pensioners and did a couple of free searches that may or may not be people I want.
        I couldn't find anything for them when I went to Kew but it may be because I missed them or they may have been in a different section.

I have ancestry so don't want another subscription.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Yes, they do have a pay per view option.
          They also have a 14 day free trial for anyone wanting to have a closer look at what they offer, although I don't think it gives you access to all the records available.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. Will have a look see when I get back.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Genious I find ancestry is easier to use than FMP but FMP transcriptions are better. It can be a case of being creative with ancestry.

Besides census info it depends what you want. If it is only 1911 census, you can get a 6 month sub. Otherwise see what both offer and chose.

Ancestry seem to have a cheap deal in January. This year it was Canada, last year Australia.
              Kit

Comment

As others have said they both offer different things so you need to check them both. I was lucky enough to have got a half price deal on W Wide Ancestry last June and as I have people who emigrated to many countries this has been useful for me. I have also used Ancestry army records quite considerably but I prefer to use FMP for census and have found about 40 1911 Census with me having corrected 15 transcripts so accuracy not so sure about!! One I had to do a stand up battle as they were refusing to accept my reasons until I pointed out that there was no known place called Bolton in Northamptonshire! I was also lucky enough to get a good discount on FMP in October so I do actually have subs for both and will most probably continue this next year but no doubt will have to pay full price this time! I am lucky because so many of the Northants Parish records are on FMP but not all counties are so well covered but Ancestry Parish and Irish records are just a joke!

Janet

Comment

I've have both sites at the moment because I wanted access to the 1911 census. FMP for 6 months has almost expired. I have found families on FMP that were nowhere to be seen on Ancestry. In general, I'd say that Ancestry is easier to use for BMD and census and if I had to choose one in the fairly early stages of researching a tree I'd probably go for Ancestry.

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                  X