Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records – on findmypast.co.uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records – on findmypast.co.uk

New database released today. Covers 252,000 records of men who were pensioned out of the British Army between 1883 and 1900.

More to come - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/ne...?doc=CHEP.html
    Elaine

Ooh, thanks Elaine, i have my GGrandfathers already but can see them on there....

I think i can see some for my other GGGrandfather as well....but i dont think i would be able to confirm this, only that he served and lived in India and had a daughter Julia Henry....Lol.

Hope you've been lucky !
    Jacky

Comment

Just found a Great Uncle on here that I have been searching for five years so very happy. Not on Ancestry list either so doubly pleased! All 8 pages on here fantastic!

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 16-03-10, 16:03.

Comment

;Dcan I just say nice to see you back Elaine

Comment

Thanks Val.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you, Elaine.

... I think the site's a bit busy!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I am very, very grateful to you :-)

I looked for someone who I thought would have been there, then another - no. Never mind, thought I.

Then - I had a big smile on my face - I had put the surname McCusker - and I am 99.99% certain that I have found another brother of my great-grandmother's :-)
              Joy

Comment

Update:

A further 12,000 Records relating to 1883-1900 have been added, bringing the total number of records available to 302,052, with 2.1 million images.
                Elaine

Comment

Ooooh, i'm off to have a look ;D

Thanks, Elaine ;)
                  Jacky

Comment

Oh dear!

;)

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found anything Christine?
                      Elaine

Comment

Not very much yet, I'm afraid. But I found one of his maternal grandfather's cousins. I managed to fritter away quite a lot of time on that - but I managed to clarify an iffy bit of the tree in the process.

Christine

Comment

Does the database only cover new pensioners from 1883? I have a GGG uncle who was a Chelsea Pensioner in Wales in 1881 (aged only 39). Unfortunately I cannot find him after that and wondered if there might be more info on that database.

Linda
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The current records only cover those who were pensioned out between 1883 and 1900.
                            However, some of the earlier records are also being filmed - you can see the details on the FMP website, with approx dates for release.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/ne...?doc=CHEP.html
                            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - he should be on by July at the latest - will make a note and then toddle along to my local centre as I don't have access to that database.

Linda
                              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Actually ALL of the surviving WO97 records will be on findmypast for those discharged 1760-1913.
                                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Ann, i heard from a researcher friend of mine that, they still haven't scanned all of the 1900 to 1913 ones yet.
                                  Jacky

Comment

There are SO many of them but I suppose they'll get there eventually!
                                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Some more records for the period 1883-1900 have been added so if you didn't find what you wanted first time around, might be worth checking again!.
                                      Now 312,909 records with 2.2+ million images.

Happy hunting!
                                      Elaine

Comment

I have just ordered mine from the NA as my Chelsea Pensioner was very far back in 1815 so 3 pages cost me £8.50. It took almost two weeks to give me an estimate of how much for the records, and now I have to await an e mail with a PDF doc now that I have paid for them.

Good Luck with your wait on FMP but I shall probably well have mine before they get that far back.

Not even sure yet if he is my rellie until I view the PDF.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X