Advice please re Message on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please re Message on start up

After switching on, and reaching desktop, but before connecting to the internet, each time I get a Message pane

"RealNetworks Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. ..... Please tell Microsoft about this problem. ...."

I'm not aware of trying to install RealNetwork and don't know what this would be associated with.

Can anyone shed some light, please?

Carol

This is probably an update for RealPlayer.

You could try uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy,

Thank you very much for coming to my aid again. Have uninstalled RealPlayer and restarted pc without the message popping up.

Not conscious of using this program, so shan't miss it!

Many thanks
      Carol

Comment

RealInstaller is the installation program for the player for RealMedia files (RealPlayer).
        You need this if you want to play RM format videos and would have probably installed the program, but it is not working correctly.
        It is not a virus etc, so don't worry.

If using Windows you should check the program is not running on startup, as it does this by default even if you are not watching an RM video, it loads 'in case' you want to use it, which is just a waste of resources.

Go to the START button
        Select RUN
        Type in MSCONFIG
        Select the StartUp tab, as this will show a list of programs that run when Windows starts up.
        If RealMedia or RealNetwork appear in the list, 'disable' this item.

When you next turn on Windows, it will stop this loading
        NOTE: the first time you reboot/open Windows after using MSCONFIG, you may get a warning that you are using a selective startup, just tick the 'ignore' option and that will stop.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor,

Thank you for your advice.

I uninstalled RealPlayer, and have installed the basic afresh as I think I may have had it for BBC iPlayer (not sure). Am certianly not getting message any longer.

Have kept copy of your instructions in case I run into further problems.

Thank you again for taking time and trouble to explain.

Carol

Comment

Working...
          X