GRO certificate has arrived, BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO certificate has arrived, BUT

Hello ---- I have been waiting for the GRO certificate of Donald Valentine Putullo born 20 Oct: 1908 in Toxteth Park to arrive. It has but ??? on it his father was John Gregor Patullo and his wife Elizabeth Aljo Patullo nee Keir. I have tried to find there marriage and date of there births but no luck. It is the middle names that have thrown me. Can anyone help please. father, John was a Surgical Instrument maker (journeyman) on the certtificate and they lived at 89 Upper Hill Street Toxteth Park Liverpool That is all I know

Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Do you have them in the 1901 census ?
    In Glasgow
    456 St Vincent St
    John G Patullo 26 Turgoal Instrument Maker (born Edinburgh)
    Elizabeth Patullo 25 (born Ireland)
    John Patullo 1 (born Glasgow)
    Donald Keir 24 (boirn Ireland)

maybe they married there ? You will need to look on scotlands people.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi sheila

Have you found the couple in 1911 and if so, how long do they say they have been married?

Maybe irrelevant, but there is an Elizabeth PATULLO marrying in 1938, Toxteth Park - wonder if this is yours, a widow?

There are a couple of Patullo marriages which have alternate names, Scottish ones, so I wonder if this couple were originally from Scotland and married there maybe? (Keir is a Scottish name)

EDIT - Oh, great minds, Dicole, lol!!!

OC

Comment

Snap, oc.
        I also found John G Patullo in 1891 with his parents John and Jemima in Edinburgh. I was really looking in ancestry to see what variations of PATULLO/PUTULLO there were.

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

Too early to be yours, but it caught my eye as possibly relevant:

John Patullo or McFarlans
          to

Ellen Coyne or Catherine Kent

1874 Sep q Liverpool.

OC

Comment

Scotlands people gives 1 result for John Patullo/Elizabeth marriage between 1895 and 1898. does not match for Elizabeth Keir/Kerr/Kier though. There's a Patullo/Keir match 1898-1901 which seems more likely. I don't have any credits for SP or I would look for you.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

A quick search on Scotlands People brings up one marriage of "John Patullo" to female Keir, in 1898, but her forename is not Elizabeth....sorry, my credits have expired so I cannot see the details.

EDIT - LOL Dicole, are you following me or am I following you!?

OC

Comment

Hello thank you for looking. It is my OH part of my tree and it is littered with Pattullo/Patullo and all the varience in between . The family came from Scotland around Dundee I think, I think that Elizabeth Aljo Keir came from Irland ? it all starts with the family Knowing (?) Donald Valentine's name ,he died in his childhood. So I wanted to prove this true or other wise . Now his father John Gregor must be a brother to the family way back ???? Is there any way to find who John Gregor's father and mother are??? Gregor is not a name from the uk
                Sheila
                Last edited by Sheila from Down Under; 14-03-10, 23:31.

Comment

I think I'm following you OC.

in 1891 census, I found John G Patullo in Edinburgh with father John, mother Jemima, no other children at home, but in 1881

13 arthur St ( I think this is the same in 1901)
                  John Patullo 46 - printer pressman
                  Jemima Patullo 43
                  Robert Patullo 15
                  Peter Patullo 10
                  John Patullo 6

in 1871

5 West adam St Edinburgh
                  John Patullo 36
                  Jemima Patullo 33
                  Robert Patullo 5
                  Peter Patullo 1mo
                  Margaret Davidsen 16 (niece born Darnick Dumfriesshire)

Is this making any connections for you ?

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Well, if you look at the marriage cert of John Patullo to (Elizabeth) Keir, on Scotlands People, that should give you his parents' names. Scottish marriage certs are more informative than English ones.

OC

Comment

I am off to lunch, now, so OC can have the floor (or board, as the case may be)

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks yes it is, but just an other quick question, when was in mandatary to regestory a still born?? as one of the Pattullo's said on the 1911 census that they had 1 dead child but we can't find it ??

Comment

According to Genuki, stillbirth registration started in 1 Jul 1927, a bit late for your purposes.
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

(Sorry, snuck off to bed!)

Di's correct about the stillbirth register, plus the stillbirth register is not in the public forum anyway, but how do you know the child was stillborn?

OC

Comment

Thanks yes it is, but just an other quick question, when was in mandatary to regestory a still born?? as one of the Pattullo's said on the 1911 census that they had 1 dead child but we can't find it ??
                              The children listed in 1911 are supposed to be those "born alive", which surely wouldn't include stillbirths?

scuda
                              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Here's what I have found on Scotland's People. There is a fly in the ointment but I'll come to it.

14 July 1898
                                John Gregor Patullo age 24 Surgical Instrument Maker (journeyman),
                                Father John Patullo Letterpress Printer,
                                Mother Jemima Copland

married

Lizzie Keir age 23
                                Father William Keir(decd) Tailor's Cutter,
                                Mother Margaret Young

Both resided at 455 St Vincent St Glasgow which is also where the wedding took place.
                                Wedding was according to the rites of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, officiating minister G Gibson.
                                Witnesses were Robert Robb and Margaret McLean.

13 June 1874
                                Birth of John Patullo at 3 Sciennes Pl Edinburgh.
                                Father John Patullo Letterpress Printer
                                Mother Jemima Archibald
                                They were married 28 December 1860 Edinburgh.

There is a correction which amends the name to John Gregor Patullo, which was filed by The Rev John Gregor of Fullarton Irvine.

28 December 1860
                                John Patullo age 26 Printer 6 Legats Land Stockbridge Edinburgh,
                                Father Peter Patullo (decd) Mason,
                                Mother Margaret Whitehead (decd).

married

Jemima Archibald age 24 34 Buccleuch St Edinburgh
                                Father Colin Archibald (decd) Soldier Prestonpans
                                Mother Jane Chalmers

The marriage took place at 3 Regents Ter Edinburgh according to the rites of the Church of Scotland. Maxwell Nicholson, Minister of the Tron Church officiated.
                                Witnesses were John McLean and Margaret Doughtie.

The fly in the ointment is Jemima's maiden name on John Gregor's marriage cert - Copland instead of Archibald, but everything esle seems to fit.
                                Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

You mention that Gregor is not a name from Britain??? I consider it a very Scottish name!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Sheila View Post
                                    The fly in the ointment is Jemima's maiden name on John Gregor's marriage cert - Copland instead of Archibald, but everything esle seems to fit.
                                    Not necessarily a problem if mother Jemima got married again in the meantime.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I thought of that UJ but it would have given both surely?

Anyway I have solved it I think.

John Patullo died Sept 1891.

Jemima Patullo nee Archibald died 1901. On her death cert it has mother's maiden name as Copeland so I suspect that when John Gregor got married she gave her mother's maiden name instead of her own. The only snag remaining is that on her own marriage cert her mother's maiden name is given as Chalmers!

According to the 1901 census John Gregor's 2 brothers are both married. Robert is in Edinburgh with wife Annie, 3 children and father in law and Peter is in Hamilton with wife Elizabeth.

Does this help? Or do you need wider family information?
                                      Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Sheila

I often have conflicting historical information on my Scottish certs so I wouldn't worry about it. The likelihood of there being TWO couples called John and Jemima Patullo is vanishingly remote I would think.

I suspect on my own - and on yours - that they got muddled when asked "Mother's maiden name".

You seem to be well on track with this so far.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X