Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbert Price B 1884 Wem, Salop in 1911 he was ........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbert Price B 1884 Wem, Salop in 1911 he was ........................

Herbert Price B 1884 Wem, Salop was a police constable, according to the 1911 census, in New Ferry, The Wirral with a wife (Ethel Cooke) and baby son (John 5 months). I am waiting for records from the Cheshire Police Museum.
    It apprears he left the police and became a publican - this comes from the 1941 marriage certificate of his daughter. He was deceased by 1941 at the age of 54.
    Does anyonr know if there are publican records on line or anywhere?
    Thank you,

There is someone on rootschat who only today has requested info on Herbert's police records and is in the process of waiting for them to arrive - would this person be you?
    WendyP

Comment

Yes, that's me!

Comment

That's one thing sorted then - sorry I can't help out on the main matter though.

Just a thought if you've got Ancestry why dont you see if you can see Herbert at a Pub within the Bt phone books section.
        Last edited by WendyP; 14-03-10, 19:52. Reason: extra text added
        WendyP

Comment

Should anyone need help with police records in Cheshire this is the site to go to! Five minutes ago I received Herbert's police record and photographs of the house where he lived and photographs of two of the police stations he served at. Also a lot of the history of what it was like to be a policeman in the early 1900s. The curator has gone to a lot of trouble to help me with my quest to the extent that my request was sent on a Saturday afternoon and answered by Sunday evening.

Restores your faith in human nature! And well worth £10,

Comment

Gosh! That was quick they must have it all at hand on the computer system. As you say well worth its value.
            WendyP

Comment

I am so glad the info you got was well worth the £10. I am the lady whose Great grandparents lived at 194 who replied toyour thread on rootschat.
              Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

It is a small world, nice to 'meet' you,

Comment

I pop up on a few family history sites. Did you go to the fh fair in Cheshire last weekend. Do you know if Herbert Price ever worked for Lever Brothers who are based in Port Sunlight (walking distance from their home in New Chester Road).
                  Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Hellio Fi,
                    I live in the south of England since the 9th Feb after living in Spain for 16 years. So at present Cheshire is too far away.
                    I doubt he would ever have worked at Lever Brothers as he entered the police in April 1910 and retired in July 1935. He died in 1938 aged 54. I suppose he could have taken a pub for those three years of retirement - I know lots of policemen did. Before the police he was an Engine Fireman and was born in Wem Salop in 1884 so there was not much time for anything else.

Wendy P,
                    I think I have looked at telephone numbers but will check again now I know it would only have been in his last three years,

Comment

My Great Great Grandfather Richard Woods worked for Levers and he died aged 54 in 1933. Port Sunlight is a lovely place, maybe next year you could visit there. I have been there twice now and I live in North London. I have even knocked on the doors of my Great Grandfathers house and that of one of his sons.
                      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Working...
                      X