Latin Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin Help Please

I have been looking at the Norfolk records that are on line but they are in latin.

I have found a tree on ancestry that has some of my ancestors on and it says they were at Blo Norton Norfolk.

This is what I have found in Blo Norton

Jacobus Fisher filius Jacobi Fisher and Ann. I have worked out it is a baptism but would Jacobi and Jacobus be James.

Also

I think this might be a burial Susana Fisher soluta sepulta fuit (no date)

These are transcription of the original and were done in 1898. The bap is dated 1629 and the burial 1626.

Thanking you
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Jacob Fisher ?.....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thats what I would have thought but the ancestry tree has him as James.

They have pointed me in the right direction but I am very cautious of the info.

They haven't touched the tree for over 6 months and there are loads of trees with the same info and looks as thought they have all copied one another!!

Thanks
      Lin

Comment

Jacobus is Latin for James not Jacob so it reads James Fisher son of James Fisher and Ann.

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet. That is what I wanted it to say but thought it looked more like Jacob to me.
          Lin

Comment

Extract from my handouts from a genealogy course.
            The English version is what the child would have been called at home.
            Jacobus is James but rarely Jacob
            Jacoba is the female and usually a Scots name now Jamesina
            In a baptism the childs name may appear as above ( in the nominative form ) but the father and motherss names will be in the genitive form ( possesive ) form.
            All names ending in " us " in the nominative and in " i " in the genititive.
            Jacobus Fisher filius Jacobi and Ann = James Fisher son of James and Ann

Comment

Think of "Jacobian" architecture, music, era etc
              It relates to the times of King JAMES.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you so much for you help.

Jay, it is so obviously when some one tells you.
                Lin

Comment

Fuit is a good person and Sepulta is from the word Sepulchre, to be buried and Soluta (Solution) is something like as is usual so you can probably make sense of what the rest of the Latin says. So many of our own Engish words are Latin derrivations and I am sorry that Latin is no longer taught in schools as to me it is necessary to be able to make sense of many languages not least our own English.

Janet

Comment

Sorry. Janet, "fuit" is Latin for "was".

So "sepulta fuit" means "was buried".

"Soluta" is "free" or "independent" in the female gender. Can't say I've ever seen it in a burial - maybe it's intended to mean spinster?
                    "Solita" means "usual", but it doesn't make a lot of sense in the context.
                    Alternatively, I suppose it could be a mistranscription of "sola" (alone).
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-03-10, 17:38.

Comment

Just a thought, but it's a bit of a long shot: "vidua" (widow) in very scrawly writing might be mistaken for "soluta", I suppose. You really need to see the original to be sure.

Comment

I am sure Mary is right about "sepulta fuit" meaning was buried. I have come across "soluta" as meaning a single woman in medieval times. I was translating off the cuff earlier so sorry if I mislead.

Janet

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Not sure if Susanna belongs to me but she was the first Fisher I found in the parish records so made a note of it.

Really interesting what you have all said. As stated earlier some of it is quite easy to translate but got really stuck on that.

Thanks again
                          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            Just a thought, but it's a bit of a long shot: "vidua" (widow) in very scrawly writing might be mistaken for "soluta", I suppose. You really need to see the original to be sure.
                            Or "relicta" would give a similarly-shaped word.

Isn' there a list a Latin vocab in the Wiki? - or a link to a site with some?

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                            X