Rotherhithe Police Constable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotherhithe Police Constable

Found my Great Grandfather, William Chester born 1869/70 Newbold, Warwickshire in the 1891 census as a police constable, working at Rotherhide police station. I checked the reference section but I'm confused as to how to go further. By 1901 he was back in Newbold and a blacksmith. Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance

Ayse

I do not understand what you are actually asking here.
    "I checked the reference section but I'm confused as to how to go further"

It would also help if you gave more details as to which William Chester you are refering to as there are a number on the 1891 census

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Would Rotherhithe have been the Metropolitan Police? Not sure. There are records at Kew and there's also a Metropolitan Police History site

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

IF its the same chap, then his records for the Met would be at Kew.

This is a link to their webpage about the Met http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...fletID=104&j=1

His records would give birthplace and date, physical description and previous employer which would help to confirm/deny whether its your chap or not.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hello Trevor

Class, RG12, piece 384, folio 132, page 3, 6095494. This is my William Chester, born 1869 but showing on the 1891 census as 1870. I just wasn't sure what next steps to take to discover more about his time in the police force.

Little Nell and annswabey thank you for your suggestions. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find anything else about him. I did look at the national archives but was n't quite sure how to find him so thank you for the link. I'll also check out the met website and see if there is anything there.

Thank you all

Ayse

Comment

Working...
          X