Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with British Newspapers Online.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with British Newspapers Online.

Does anyone belong to a library that has access to The British Newspapers 1800 to 1900 collection? I know that Cardiff library has a sub and also Cardiff University and suspect they are not the only ones. Unfortunately, my library does not have this.

If anyone has access, I would be grateful for any information you can give me. Here is the story:

I have a death cert for Daniel Murphy who died on 12/9/1882 in Cardiff. He was run over at work by a ballast engine on the railway. The inquest took place on 13/9/1882 and was reported in the Western Mail on 14/9/1882. Cardiff library has been very helpful in sending me a copy of the report which they got from the British Newspapers site. However, the report gives no information about his family, other inquest reports I have seen have sometimes stated a wife’s name etc. I am trying to prove that this was my relative.

I did a search on the British Newspaper site and found another entry for 14/9/1882 for Daniel Murphy and the results show there are more words than in the Western Mail report so, with luck, it might give me the info I need. I do not have a sub myself, nor access through my library, so, is anyone able to access the actual report as I would like to see it? I just searched on Daniel Murphy 12/9/1882 to 30/ 9/1882 and the results were for the Western Mail report that I have and another in Freeman’s Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland).

Thanks for any help.

Hi
    The Freeman's Journal entry refers to a different Daniel Murphy. Retirement of Inspector Daniel Murphy & others.
    Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie. Back to the drawing board for me then, to see if I can find out more about this person in other ways.

Comment

Did the death cert not give a home address for him?
        Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie

No, the death cert only shows that he died in the Hospital Ship in Llandaff, Cardiff (The Hamadryad). It gives the details of the accident as covered by the inquest but there are no other indicators as to who he was, hence my task of trying to find out from other means if this man was my Gt Gt Grandfather. I have drawn a blank on finding any reports of the accident itself. It would seem from my Googleing attempts that very many people had fatal accidents of this sort. Suppose it was too commonplace to warrant a news item?

Have you any other suggestions I could try?

Comment

There are Railway accident reports at TNA Kew, but whether they would give you any personal information I don't know.
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

That's something I could look into as I could there there fairly easily. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Have a read of the relevant research guide to TNA Accident Report records

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X