Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old way of family tree

I dont quite know how to explain what I want but I will try
    I want to make a tree the old way with the oldest person at the top and work down. I do not have any software so I need to make it myself. I have tried a couple of free ones but when I print them they are too small to read. Any suggestions please
    Ann

Not sure if it is what you mean, but Family Historian has the option of a descendants tree.

Linda
    LindaG

Comment

You could always print them bigger but then they would go onto more pages. The trouble with a tree that has a lot of children for everyone is that it very quickly spreads a LONG way sideways!

I have Family Historian and it will do just about everything you could want, including hiding some of the people to cut down on the spread.

There is a program called TreeDraw. Older versions of this are sometimes avaiable free on the CDs that come with Family History magazines. You can enter all the information yourself (a long job!) if you want to and re arrange it to fit. However if there are several generations all with lots of children it will still spread sideways!

Anne

Comment

A ream of A4 paper in landscape orientation and a lot of stick tape is the best non-software method
        Start with the eldest pair on that sheet and then build the tree downwards/across, adding sheets to the left and right to allow the current generation to spread out.
        next generation on the next sheet down etc, etc

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

When I first started before getting any software i used to do mine on a spreadsheet. size can be altered to whatever size you want and you can draw in the lines using borders.

Infact I still do before inputting info onto FTM2010. Saves on a lot of paper and is saved on laptop
          jayne
          Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Thank you all for your help which I will try out to see which suits the best
            Ann

Comment

Working...
            X