Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Question?

Hi all,
    This is probably stupid, but I have only just uploaded my tree to ancestry ( Over 5000 names ), previously I had it as a private webpage.

I use FTM, and was wondering that now I can save census records etc, through ancestry , is it possible to re download the ancestry tree back to FTM, and will that save all the source records to FTM. At the moment I am just writing in the source pages etc in FTM, and its getting a bit tedious.

I hope I've put this question in the right area??

Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

I don't know the answer Jackie but if it is in the wrong spot the mods will move it.
    Kit

Comment

I don't know either, but I have moved it for you!!
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I found this, regarding FTM 2010:
        Ancestry.com Family Tree Download
        You can now download your online Ancestry.com trees directly into Family Tree Maker and either start a new tree or merge it into your current file. The downloaded tree will include the facts as well as images associated with the online tree.

See: http://www.familytreemaker.com/About...dFeatures.aspx

I also found this, dated 12 January 2009:
        "To import your tree from Ancestry.com to Family Tree Maker (FTM), you’ll first export your file from Ancestry.com (see detailed instructions below), then open the file from within FTM.
        This process transfers all the names, dates, places, sources, notes, etc. from your family tree online, but it does NOT currently transfer any photos, stories, or records you have saved online (the downloaded file does contain a link to those items on Ancestry.com.). In a coming version of Family Tree Maker, users will also have an option to download their online member tree to Family Tree Maker and preserve the pictures."

See: http://learn.ancestry.com/LearnMore/....aspx?id=14124

So it looks like it might be possible in the latest version - FTM 2010 - although the feature description for FTM2010 doesn't actually specify whether the source records are saved too.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 13-03-10, 06:42.
        Sarah

Comment

Thank You Cloggie,
          Looks like I will have to get 2010 versions then.

jackie
          Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Hi, When I was at the WDYTYA show I made a point of asking the Tech guy about this and he said it was a new part of FTM2010, so Cloggie is right.

I will find out when my new software turns up. I am still learning how to set up FTM2009, when you get 14 sets of records for everyone if you do a lot of merging.

I will now have to go through everyone and tidy the files up.
            Don

Researching: ANNAL (Orkney/Ontario) BILSTON (Worcestershire) CLARK (Shetland) HOLLOWAY (Worcestershire) RHODES (Worcestershire) WILSON (Orkney)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
              Thank You Cloggie,
              Looks like I will have to get 2010 versions then.

jackie
              Hi Jackie, Dont forget the Tesco offer, £15.00 of clubcard vouchers buys the software.
              Don

Researching: ANNAL (Orkney/Ontario) BILSTON (Worcestershire) CLARK (Shetland) HOLLOWAY (Worcestershire) RHODES (Worcestershire) WILSON (Orkney)

Comment

I thought Id exported it to my FTM2006 though?

Comment

You can export a GEDCOM file to other versions, but apparently not the photos, etc.
                  See the second part of post #4 above.
                  Sarah

Comment

does anyone know how to vew the photos ???? I seem to be able to view census certs etc but cannot find the photos ?

Comment

As a new member I was interested to see all the posts re:Ancestry. I have FTM2010 and have been very pleased with all the options available, particularly being able to download
                      completed trees from the Ancestry website. However, my sticking point now is publishing the tree in "Pedigree" chart. I just cannot get Husbands, Wives,children, events etc., to link up
                      in the tree. Everytime I click add it just opens a new chart with the requested "add" alone at the top. I expect I'm doing something wrong but after reading alll the various "help" sections
                      I'm no wiser and becoming more frustrated, anyone else struggling with this.
                      Dreen

Comment

Are you trying to "publish" the tree via the Ancestry web site, or via the FTM 2010 program on your computer?
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          does anyone know how to vew the photos ???? I seem to be able to view census certs etc but cannot find the photos ?
                          Are you talking about viewing the photos in FTM2010 after downloading from Ancestry.
                          If you click on the MEDIA tab at the top of the page that should show all images you have attached to your tree.
                          Elaine

Comment

thanks for that Elaine I just did it but only 9 images are there ??? there should be a lot more ? have I done something wrong ?

Comment

I presume you are trying to download a tree from Ancestry into FTM2010?

Have to be honest, I don't use the Ancestry tree myself - but how do you attach the image. I have seen census images attached to an individual - but what do you do with the photos. Do you attach them to an individual or is there a separate album for them? If they are not directly attached to an individual then perhaps they wont download.
                              Elaine

Comment

yes Elaine you download them either on to a individual or just to your photos ,I did download most of mine onto each individual ? but they arent appearing on my tree?

Comment

I would have thought that if the image is uploaded to Ancestry and then attached to an individual, it would still be there when you download the file to FTM.

Really don't know what to suggest Val, apart from checking that they really are attached to an individual rather than just in the general media gallery part of the file.
                                  Elaine

Comment

they are Elaine have checked ??? wonder where they went ? maybe I'll import again see what happens thanks

Comment

Ftm 2010

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                      Are you trying to "publish" the tree via the Ancestry web site, or via the FTM 2010 program on your computer?
                                      Good morning Elaine.
                                      I,m trying to compile Pedigree Chart from FTM 2010.

:(:(dreen22

Comment

Not quite sure where you are having problems.

The way to do it is to open your file and place your cursor on the person who you want to be the root of the tree.
                                        Then select PUBLISH (icon at top of page) - select the type of tree - in this case PEDIGREE.
                                        On right hand side of page click CREATE CHART.
                                        You will then get a split screen with a preview of the chart on the left hand side of page, and an options box on the right.
                                        In the options box you can choose things like number of generations to be shown, type of tree e.g. overlap, squished etc., insert backgrounds/pictures etc.
                                        When you have chosen the options then click GENERATE CHART.

Following the above instructions, can you tell us where you are getting stuck?
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X