Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does the GRO take to tell you .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does the GRO take to tell you .......

On the 8th March, I ordered a birth certificate with a checking point, which they said would be despatched on 12th March (today).

So if the checking point is wrong, how long would it be before they notified me and how do they do that (email, post ?) ?

I have never had one that does not match before, so if I have not heard, can I cross my fingers that it goes in the mail today ?

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

I asked this elsewhere about a week ago. lol They will reply by email but I don't think I asked when.

You will get your refund a few days after your email though, if it's the wrong cert.

Assuming they haven't been totally inundated with requests you could hope it is in the mail today. That means the ones I ordered last week are already in the mail, fingers crossed.
    Kit

Comment

oh, good Kit, fingers crossed. I thought they would probably tell me after they checked it and decided whether or not to copy it. I think there's still a a lot of office hours of Friday 12th left in England, so I will keep hoping for no news till tomorrow morning. If its coming the cert. should be here late next week !
      Diane
      Sydney Australia

Comment

they have sometimes emailed me just before its due to arrive ?? so dont get too excited .

Comment

Boo hoo, just received a email saying World Pay has refunded 4 pounds - so the checking point was rejected.
          Do I risk another 3 pounds on the next most likely ? Or should I try to local RO ?

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

I dont know what you put as your checking point, but if its not exact they wont send it .
            Even if say you have Fathers name should be John Arthur Brown and its says Arthur Brown they in my experience wont send it so it pays to be economical with the checking point.
            I think I would try ringing the local RO unless you want to put the details on here ?? I am sure somebody would help you

Comment

Hi Val

The birth registration (Sep Q 1838) was for a "Male" Martin and I put William Martin as father checking point, because I have his second child's birth certificate. It seemed the most likely to match with the 1841 census. I was hoping for a variation in the mothers maiden name which might be helpful !!

I have posted a question about this family before
              http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...rtificate-but-.....

Son William Martin was aged 2 in the 1841 census, so of course I don't know if he was just 2, or nearly 3. Second child was 5 months. I don't think they baptised any of their sons and I cannot find a marriage which matches the second child's birth details.
              (William Martin father, Mother Elizabeth formerly Berwick)

The logical place for the baptims would be St Nicholas Brighton, which was close to where they lived. I only have the 1841 census for the two William Martins and 1851 for James and Elizabeth. The middle one, Robert, was in London in 1861 and in Sydney by 1871.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Good job you did it in time! This is the latest bombshell from the GRO!!!!

Customers are asked to please note that there will be a change to the GRO fee structure which will take effect from 6 April 2010. Further details can be found on the IPS website at www.ips.gov.uk. Please note in addition that GRO have reviewed the range of services which we currently offer. We have been advised that there is no clear remit in statute for charging for a service to check additional index references, or to retain partial fees. In order to ensure full legal compliance, and in view of the fact that we cannot afford to offer this service free of charge, we are regretfully withdrawing our reference checking service from 6 April. This will include the withdrawal of the "checking points".

Comment

The RO might be more helpful Di, although they cost more. which one is it?
                  Kit

Comment

Di, I ordered 2 certs. on 7th March ..... the despatch date was also 12th ......I expected them today..but no luck.
                    I did put a checking point on one of them ....so I'm also now keeping my fingers crossed ..and my toes.
                    Jean
                    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I suspect the date of despatch is more of a guideline rather than what will actually happen at the moment.
                      Kit

Comment

I received 6 certs from the GRO today. The date of despatch was 9 or 10 March.

Funnily enough the one date stamped 3/3/10 from Somerset also arrived today. So there was a holdup in the post somewhere.
                        Kit

Comment

Working...
                        X