Littleworth, Oxfordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Littleworth, Oxfordshire

In 1871 Henry Hinton is living with wife Fanny and daughter Ellen in Chelsea http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1

Ellen is 8 years old and stated to have been born in Littleworth, Oxfordshire. I am trying to find Ellen's birth record but so far no luck. Does anyone know how to find the BMD district for Littleworth, I have tried Headington and Oxford, which are the closest I can think of, but to no avail.

Failing that can anyone find her birth or any trace of the family after 1871? One problem is that Fanny and Henry did not marry until 1864, presumably after Ellens birth - I have checked under Fanny's maiden name of Attewell, but no luck.

(there is an Ellen Maria Hinton born 1865 in Witney, but that is a different family)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Using the GenUKI list, I'd say Littleworth should be in Great Faringdon at that time.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine - I couldn't find the right page!!

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Ah! I downloaded the list a while ago, as a pdf.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-03-10, 17:34.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Unfortunately, I have just found that there are 2 Littleworths, one just outside Faringdon, and one on the other side of Oxford, between Wheatley and Horspath - I think it's the second one I want as that is the area both Henry and Fanny came from. See what I can find on the GenUKI list.

As Wheatley and Horspath are both in Headington district, presumably Littleworth (2) is also.

Linda
          Last edited by ozgirl; 11-03-10, 17:33.
          Linda

Comment

My list has two - the other shows up in Gloucester (not just Gloucestershire), I think.

Christine

Comment

The link you need is probably here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Christine

Comment

Nah, I'm stumped - any suggestions?

Linda

Thanks for the link Christine
                Linda

Comment

I had a look at the map - and I can see you must mean the one that's almost part of Wheatley. Wheatley is in Headington, according to the list, so it looks as if you're into the realms of:
                  1] never registered (I have some of those - but much earlier)
                  2] the Oxon registration didn't make it to GRO
                  3] mistranscribed (I have at least two of those: my own marriage, and one of my mother's ancestors birth)
                  4] have you allowed for all the variations of Ellen? ... Eleanor, Hel(l)en, (H)Ellenor, Nell(ie/y)...
                  5] have you allowed for the possibility that Ellen isn't the registered name?

You may need to find a baptism record, instead. Oxford RO allows you to view the original registers, but, if the RO is out of range, and, especially if you have any number in the area, the Oxon FHS does some very useful CDs of images of a C19th transcription of the parish registers. It can save you a lot of time at the RO if you've already located the likely dates/places.

Christine

Comment

Is it worth the risk (use a checking point, perhaps - or apply to Oxon directly)...

1862 Jun Q Faringdon 2c-253 Allen HINTON

There are 1,244 children registered with Allen as a first name from 1861-1863, inclusive, in England and Wales.
                    Using otherwise the same criteria, but for Ellen, there are 53,740, or, for Ann - 162,010.

Christine

Comment

Just had a look here: http://www.ofhs.org.uk/CDsales.html
                      and found this:
                      OXF-FAR02
                      FARINGDON Reg. Dist.
                      Coleshill, Eaton Hastings, Faringdon Prim. Meth., Faringdon Workhouse, Faringdon Bastardy Orders, Kelmscott, Langford, Little Coxwell, Littleworth, Longcot, Longworth.
                      Those CDs are £17.50 each. I'm not sure if that includes P&P. You can order online.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-03-10, 18:08.

Comment

I saw that entry for and Allen Hinton, and wondered if it could have been mistranscribed - however there is also a death entry for Allen Hinton 1862 Jun Q Faringdon, so I think that rules him out. I've tried searching for Ellen with no surname and all variations of Hinton and Attewell with no first name, but nothing strikes me. I think they were trying to hide the birth as they weren't married, even though in the 1861 census they were living as husband and wife in Chelsea. I have also tried searching the Chelsea registers, but again zilch. And as I can find no mention of any of them after 1871, it seems this twig stops at them. Thanks for all your help Christine. I'll check out the Oxon FHS CD's, as I have a fair few in Oxfordshire, and there is very little transcribed on the web.

Linda
                        Linda

Comment

I can see what you mean, Linda. There really doesn't seem to be anything helpful - and the scenarios you paint seem very plausible.

I have one or two like that - I just let them lie fallow, and try to keep the names in the back of my mind so that I'll recognise them if/when they turn up. I've had one or two pleasant surprises.
                          In one case, I don't have proof, but the Oxon CD covering South Newington and Wigginton has given me a very possible solution for a mother of a child for whom I had only the Tingewick (Bucks) baptism record: "This child is believed to have been born in this parish about three years ago, mother's present residence unknown." plus the mother's name. The babe and his mother were the only instances of the surname in Tingewick (you'd find it by googling, I guess), and he married a girl from Swalcliffe, but settled in Wigginton... where there were other's of his surname, including a possible for his mother.

And there's the classic: "father unknown" child given flamboyant middle names - which just hppen to match the name of a senior sailor living a couple of years later (with wife and children) around the corner.

Christine

Comment

Another interesting thing with this lot is that Henry was a widower when he married Fanny - I think I have traced his first marriage and it was to a Maria Attewell. Attewell, is the line I am tracing, but this Maria has so far not appeared on any family line - the only census she appears on in 1851 she is the 9 year old niece to a couple whose names are totally new to me, and is of no use whatsoever. I think I definitely need to get the PRs for Nuneham Courtney - now how long is it to my birthday

Linda
                            Linda

Comment

The wife, Sarah, (61) in the 1851 couple was born in Nuneham Courtney.

Christine

Comment

I noticed that and I do have a few Sarahs in my Attewells but none who match that date of birth. However there is a whole chunk of family still to find - my 4xGGf was one of 7 children, but so far I've only managed to trace the descendants of 2 of them, but they are in the 1700's so it definitely needs the PRs. I think my local FHS has them on fiche, so need to go and have a looksee.
                                (Not OFHS but the one in Berkshire - it seems Nuneham swapped counties at some time so thay have them there) Thanks again for the help and suggestions - I think this family will keep me going for years. The girls have a habit of marrying and then falling off the face of the earth!

Linda
                                Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X