Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intention to Marry - can someone help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intention to Marry - can someone help please?

Just received this email from cousin - can anyone help please? What does it mean and why a choice of church?

"Document just arrived it said on the 29th July 1746 that Edward Beazley of the parish of St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey would marry Sarah Allen of the same parish with the permission of her father William Allen, she being but 20 and he 22.

I assume that they were to marry at St Mary Mag, Bermondsey, it then went on about a sevice to solemnize the marriage in the Parish Church of Kingston on Thames or the Chapel at Petersham in the county of Surrey or the Parish Church of Hampton or Hampton Court Chapel in the County of Middlesex.

Not sure I understand just what is meant here. are you aware of what is meant and would there be a document to look for."

The first sentence/para looks like the sort of info you get with a marriage licence &/or bond. "Allegation" is another words that crops up in this context. This would have been particularly necessary to establish the father's permission for the marriage of his (minor, i.e. under-21) daughter.

The first info states that they were both of the same parish, but the second info that the marriage was taking place somewhere else. That would be another reason for the licence: that they wouldn't be able to be married by banns in a church where they weren't "of the parish" (i.e. known)... but it would be a good place to get married if there were something about which you didn't want your neighbours to know... how soon was the first child born, or had (s)he been born already?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Chris, dont know about that Im afraid, so long back, hard to find any references. I was hoping Dockland Ancestors would have St Mary Mag baps but no luck.

Why would there be a choice of places though, seems odd that.

Many thanks.

Comment

I've seen the choice before - but it is a restricted choice - they weren't allowed by the licence to be married just anywhere.

The earlier LMA records are there. There won't be any banns, I imagine, at St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey (Southwark).

KoT records appear to start in 1755
        Petersham seems to jump from 1655 to 1800 - but that might be a misunderstanding. I haven't looked at the images.
        Hampton/court doesn't seem to be in the list - unless I've not guess the relevant category/borough.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can't see any BEAZLEY baptisms in 1724 and early 1725 in St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey - but I could have missed something.

I also managed to look back as far as Jun 1723, - but no BEAZLEYs.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-03-10, 17:46.

Comment

Oh bless Chris, I was going to tackle it tomorrow - eyes are so dodgey now I pace them This is the dreaded Baizley/Beasley/Beizley/Beazley and any other variation you can think of - lot. Pain the bu* these people, some dont seem to want to be found do they. Ill have a look from the 1740s onwards tomorrow to see if they had any kids quickly after the marriage.

Ill also have a google for those other places. Im wondering if its a set thing where the dioceses covers those churches for some reason and so they are included in the document but are unlikely to be used for the wedding.
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 11-03-10, 18:13.

Comment

It may be that I didn't see a name that would trigger your recognition, so it may still be worth you having a look - when your eyes are refreshed.

I doubt that the wedding would have been valid under that licence if the ceremony took place anywhere other than those named churches - which didn't include Bermondsey. Bermondsey is in Southwark borough - so unlikely not to be in Southwark Diocese. I wouldn't have thought that the other churches would have been in Southwark Diocese...
              Well, well! All Saints and St Peter, Petersham is/are in "S'wark", according to my copy of Crockfords, as is All Saints, Kingston upon Thames.
              But Hampton appears more likely to be "Lon".

Christine

Comment

Can anyone tell me if there is a quick way to work out where marriages start in the PRs on ancestry. Ive been wading through the burials - at what point do marriages start and shouldnt ancestry let us know that sort of stuff?!

Comment

Early registers didn't have to split up burials, marriages and baptisms. Somewhere there's a list of dates to say when the various bits had to split off. With the early registers, you can turn a page of baptisms and find you're into a list of burials starting several years earlier... and then you turn the book upside-down and find that there are more records starting from the other end - plus a page or two stuck in - or chopped out.

I understood that Ancestry was proposing to transcribe the earlier records, but was making them available to us ahead of time, as a favour.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Chris, well I think Ill give up for now then.

Oh thanks, just saw your note about the diocese covering those churches. Funny, dont know why but somewhere in the back of my memory I felt they were covered by southwark.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 11-03-10, 18:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X