Reformatories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reformatories

In 1901 Frederick George Attewell, b 1885 was in the Bedfordshire Reformatory. This would appear to be a young offenders institute, where they were trained as AgLabs. Does anyone know any more about them, and whether it is possible to find out details of why he was sent there? I can find no trace of him after 1901, and I believe that some of them were shipped off to Canada. Would there be any records regarding those?

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

There is a little bit about it on this page. under children in prison http://www.schools.bedfordshire.gov....f_prisoner.htm

I think the first place to try would be the Bedforshire Archives http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/Commu...ordOffice.aspx

Comment

Thanks Velma will have a look at those.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

and I believe that some of them were shipped off to Canada. Would there be any records regarding those?
        There certainly are a number of place where you can look up these names online. If you google "British Home Children" (with the inverted commas), you should get lots of hits.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I know there's been a lot about them in the media recently, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember the exact term. The old grey matter ain't what it used to be.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Thanks Christine, I know there's been a lot about them in the media recently, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember the exact term. The old grey matter ain't what it used to be.

Linda
            I'm glad you said that! I had to think for a while, too, before the term came to me.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X