Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did U know? - another GenUKI facility - members' interests (names)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did U know? - another GenUKI facility - members' interests (names)

I was browsing on the Lincs FHS site, and realised that there were a number of members who registered Names interests on the Lincs site for names based in other counties. I had speculated that there might be an opening for inter-group cooperation (subject to Data Protection hoops to be jumped through) by letting one another know about members interests logged on one county's site, but relating to another county. I contacted Sussex FH Group to ask for their thoughts.

There was a brief spark of direct interest, but then this - very useful, but I hadn't known about it - piece of info was sent back by the webmaster:
    I looked at an arbitrary members interests page on the SFHG site and chose a less common surname BRUNSDEN. Then went to www.genuki.org.uk and clicked, top right, on 'Contents & Search', then on 'Search this site'.

Now I'm at http://www.genuki.org.uk/contents/#Search and a search for BRUNSDEN finds references "from the contents of ALL GENUKI pages plus The National Archives (TNA), Society of Genealogists (SoG), The Federation of Family History Societies (FFHS), and Guild of One-Name Studies (GOONS) web sites. It also includes all the Family History Society and County Surname Interest List sites linked to from GENUKI."

The results included a reference back to the SFHG interests page where I started, and also two more hits on our website's SPI pages.
    Did you know about that facility?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Thanks for posting this, Christine. I've just searched for one of my names and it looks very useful.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thank you! I didn't know about that facility and have already found some additional info on one of my names.
      Jenny

Comment

Thanks Christine. That could come in very useful.
        Kit

Comment

thanks Christine......I went on the Liverpool Family History link and when I went on the surnames list I was very surprised to see that the names are actually in Liverpool Districts....so obviously I checked for Garston...loads and loads of people looking for Garston rellies....so I have a lot of research help to do now....a nice surprise.......allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
          X