PDA

View Full Version : Photographs: West Norwood SE London

Ken
08-03-10, 16:27
Does anyone have any old photos of West Norwood High Street from the 1950’s/1960’s that might show my old house number 77 next door to Trings the corn chandler come grocers.

I mean personal type photos that you may have in your possession not the ones I can find on the net or in books and the like or the ones at the local archives centres; I have all them or have seen them.

I would be most grateful for a copy if you have any, I lived there for 18 years and never took a photo (shame on me) sadly the properties are no longer there, they were pulled down in 1966 when we were made to move out.

Stella
08-03-10, 22:11
Sorry Ken, no photos, but I did go to West Norwood Girls school in Gypsy Road in 1951. I lived in Herne Hill.

Ken
09-03-10, 10:44
Hi Stella

I too went to gypsy road school but it was the infants school and not until I was 5 that was in 1953.

You must have had some journey from Herne Hill to gypsy road, did you walk or was you really posh and got a bus?

Stella
09-03-10, 11:44
Ken, I was extremely posh and got a bus there and back. One thing I remember about the bus journey was seeing each day the big imposing white building we passed, which was in those days the Jewish Orphanage - wonder what it is used for now. I notice you must be a lot younger than me Ken! LOL

Ken
09-03-10, 12:17
Just turned 62, not sure that’s young though, as my children all call me the old man or old moaner mainly.

Yes I remember the Jewish Orphanage, many’s the time we were chased by the boys from there after we made fun of them, never got us though, well not me anyway.

Ken

Stella
09-03-10, 13:14
Well I have the big 70 this year Ken. I wonder if that lovely Jewish orphanage building is still there and, if so, what it is used for now. May go and 'Google' it later.

Stella
09-03-10, 13:54
Just Googled the orphanage - it has been pulled down. Such a shame, it was a very impressive looking building too.

Ken
09-03-10, 14:56
Hi Stella

Google up “Lambeth Landmark” look on the right hand side and under places pick out West Norwood then click on images and have a nice long look at the photos on there, I think there is one or two of the Jewish Orphanage on there.

You can also look see what they have for Herne Hill as well.

Stella
09-03-10, 15:57
Thanks Ken, I'll have a play on that site later today. Thank you.

Joy Dean
09-03-10, 19:20
You may already have seen this
http://www.francisfrith.com/west-norwood/

Ken
09-03-10, 20:45
Yes seen all them thank you Joy

Stella
10-03-10, 11:41
Had a look at Lambeth Landmark Ken - great photos on there of Herne Hill - loads of Brockwell Park where I used to play when I was a child, plus the Lido there. Thanks for the tip.

norwood
18-07-11, 16:59
Hi Ken, born in Eden Rd, W. Norwood 1939, went to Gipsy Rd, School c1952. Had lots of Jewish Ophanage school mates ! Sorry no photo's only memories.
Cant recall 77 High St, but I worked when left school for Nye the Builder in High St. Used Crisp Bros cycle shop, Live on the Bloomhall Estc1940's, Etc, Etc,.
Must chat with Stella. Regards Bob now in Bedfordshire

Stella
18-07-11, 18:17
Hi there Norwood. I lived in Herne Hill - just off Milkwood Road from 1948 until I went to do nurse training in Croydon in 1958. Been living here on the East coast now for 39 years.

Jen~Ealogy
18-07-11, 18:42
Does anyone have any old photos of West Norwood High Street from the 1950’s/1960’s that might show my old house number 77 next door to Trings the corn chandler come grocers.

I mean personal type photos that you may have in your possession not the ones I can find on the net or in books and the like or the ones at the local archives centres; I have all them or have seen them.

I would be most grateful for a copy if you have any, I lived there for 18 years and never took a photo (shame on me) sadly the properties are no longer there, they were pulled down in 1966 when we were made to move out.

I am presently in Upper Norwood Ken, and our local library usually has a number of old postcards of Norwood. I could always ask there if they know of any local photographic records next time I'm passing.

norwood
18-07-11, 20:02
Ken, mlet me know if you recieve this ? I have sent others but not shown ? Bob

norwood
18-07-11, 20:25
Thanks Stella, was it Gipsy Road School you went to ? Can you remember teachers names ? I only recall Osbourn, and Bertwhistle ? I knew many Jewish children from the Ophanage I often wonder what happened to them. Were you evacuated during WW2 ? Bob

Stella
19-07-11, 11:08
Hi Norwood. Yes, it was the Gipsy Road school - didn't really like it much there and do remember Osbourn. During WW2, I was living in Yorkshire (born there), so no, wasn't evacuated thank goodness. I also knew a few Jewish orphans and also wonder what became of them.

Ken
19-07-11, 14:17
Hello Bob

"Yes" got these OK many thanks.

Ken

Ken
19-07-11, 14:25
Hello Jen

That would be nice of you, i do understand that they have some cabinets in that libarey that may have photos in, BUT i would only be interested in the one(s) that show 77 Norwood High Street, as i have most (or seen most) of the High Street views.

Regards

Ken

Jen~Ealogy
19-07-11, 14:27
Hello Jen

That would be nice of you, i do understand that they have some cabinets in that libarey that may have photos in, BUT i would only be interested in the one(s) that show 77 Norwood High Street, as i have most (or seen most) of the High Street views.

Regards

Ken

Sure, that's fine I understand Ken. Certainly don't mind taking a look for you. I will be up by the library on Wednesday, so will post a reply then.

Ken
19-07-11, 14:33
Hi Bob

Seems as if you were there or there about’s before I was born, I do remember Nye and we were always over Cripoos with our bikes.

My brothers and sister were at Gipsy Road School at the same time as you, and i had a girl friend on the Bloomhall Estate in about 1960/3

Regards

Ken

Ken
19-07-11, 15:05
Jen

Thank you

Ken

norwood
19-07-11, 20:49
Hi Ken, did your brother or sister get any "group" photo at Gipsy Rd School. I never did ? My dealings with Cripoos, was motorcycles, I use to race at the Crystal Palace. I lived in Durning Rd, I wonder if I knew your sweet heart ? I married Barbara 1961 who lived in Gipsy Rd Gardens. Nice chatting Bob (why did I call myself "norwood" ?

Ken
20-07-11, 10:30
Hello Bob

No photos I am sorry to say, the brothers and sister that went to that school at the same time as you were Sidney, Donald, George, Alan and Louisa Rhoades.

My girl friend from about 1961 lived in the fist house (or the second) in Bloomhall Road, looking at Google maps it was number 15 or 17 but as regards her name, sadly I can’t remember.

Not sure if you have looked at Gipsy Road School on Friends Reunited but there are some old boys and girls listed on there that you may remember. I am listed on there but it is not quite right because I only went to the “infants” part of Gipsy Road.

Regards

Ken

norwood
20-07-11, 20:36
Hi Ken, I went to salters hill infants c1944/5. I remember walking up Salters Hill on my way home, when the air raid siene went, I ran back to the school as they had a shelter. Later we looked for shratnell ? The first house in Bloomhall one side had a high wall I do remember the "kids" that lived there, opposite was dropped houses and my mate Ted Emblyn lived in first house, cant recall if he had a sister ? Did you use Norwood Park play ground ? My Mum was the "lady keeper" looked after the kids c1950's 60's. Do you remember Tannoy's I worked there, and TMC. cheers Bob

norwood
20-07-11, 20:45
Hi Stella, did you have any old Gipsy Rd School photo's ? I use to race bicycles at Herne Hill and later motorcycles at Crystal Palace. The H.H track is still in use ! I also went swimming/paddling in Brockwell Pk. After we went to Cold Harber Lane for pie mash, lovely stuff ! cheers Bob

Stella
21-07-11, 09:48
No Norwood, sorry but no photos. The cycle track brings back memories because our neighbour Peter Brotherton used to practice there and went to cycle for Great Britain in the Olympics in Melbourne. Yes, used to go to Brockwell Park Lido regularly too - oh happy days!

Ken
21-07-11, 11:05
Hello Bob

I was born in 1948 and went to Gipsy road infants about 1953 until 1955 then I went to Salter’s Hill junior school up until about 1959 then on to Tulse Hill comprehensive.

Yes I do remember a lady keeper in Norwood park, their hut was next to the sweet kiosk near the paddling pool if I remember right? We used this park all the time and used to climb over the cinder pitch when the gate was locked.

I also remember the H.H track that you spoke of at Herne Hill because we went there for our Sports day at school.

We were at the Lido at Brockwell park as I remember all summer (well it seemed like it) but we only went when we could afford it.

As for Tannoy’s I also worked there for Mr Fountain and his firm, but only for about 3 or 4 months when I first left school in 1963 then I went to work for the GPO and stayed there 40 years.

Just spoke to my sister and she has a photo of Gipsy road school BUT it was taken in the play ground and it only has girls in it as the school was spilt at that time.

I am now 63 and live in Ashford Kent.;

Regards

Ken

norwood
21-07-11, 19:28
Hi Ken, Guy Fountain lived in a very large house in Dulwich near the Toll Gate. I use to take his mail from Norwood on my BSA Bantam to his house, not once did he give me a glass of orange or a "tip". I was 16 then ! At lunch time I use to go over to the cemetary for some peace and quiet, most of my relatives are there ! Bob

Jen~Ealogy
27-07-11, 19:56
Hi Ken, so sorry but silly me forgot the library is closed all day Wednesday. I did look in the window as they have a lot of their local postcard scenes platered over them. it would seem they only have pictures of Crystal Palace and Upper Norwood on show, however, I will get up there again tomorrow, as I want to got in and ask if they could find anything in the archives relating to your old address. Will post again tomorrow.

Jen~Ealogy
27-07-11, 20:01
Some of you may be surprised to hear that Norwood Park has had a good deal of cash spent on it of late, they have built a new playground as well as lots of new equipment for the kids. And there is a One o'clock club too. They have closed down the old paddling pool, and may eventually remove it.

If anyone wants pictures, let me know, I'm only a stone's throw away from there.

Ken
28-07-11, 14:36
Hello Jen

Thank you for doing that for me, I also think that they may only have photos of Upper Norwood and Crystal Palace, but it may still be worth a try.

By the way I live in Ashford Kent and if there is anything local you want me to have a look at for you please just ask and I will have a look for you.

Kind regards

Ken

Jen~Ealogy
28-07-11, 15:31
Hi Ken, I have been speaking with the local archivist at Upper Norwood Library one Mr. Savage, who was most helpful. He says he knows they have some info and images on West Norwood and he is going to look through everything they hold. I will be contacting him again on Friday.....gives him chance to have a proper look, so he can let me know if he turns anything up.

Other than that he suggests contacting Lambeth archives at the Minet Library, who hold images of West Norwood. They have their own mail address which you can find by googling.......I will go off and have a look over that next. Perhaps you may also wish to give them a try.........if you haven't all ready? Good luck, hope something turns up.

Contact address www.Lambeth.gov.uk (http://www.Lambeth.gov.uk)

Ken
28-07-11, 17:31
Hi Jen

I have already been to the Minet Lib and they don't have any as far as i can tell by what i have seen, BUT you never know if you have seen all there is to be seen at those places do you?

Lets hope Mr. Savage comes up trumps.

Kind regards

Ken

Jen~Ealogy
28-07-11, 17:36
Oh what a shame Ken. It's true, there may be other archives as yet unseen. Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow then Ken. I will.

norwood
28-07-11, 17:49
Hi Jen, I was born a five minute walk from Norwood Park, paddled in the pool just after the war, it was quite deep then, they made it shallow later. We had wonderful winters using old "air-raid" shelter roofs as sledges about 10 of us could sit on one and slide down the snow down salters hill (on the grass) that is !
My Mum was lady keeper with her hut in the swings playground. I knew many park keepers dressed in their brown suits. I also done my courting in Norwood Park, like so many of my mates ! Not with the same girl of course . Cheers Bob

Jen~Ealogy
28-07-11, 18:50
Bob.........sent you a pm.

Joy Dean
28-07-11, 19:10
Without reading right through - have you looked here? - http://www.norwoodforum.org/

Jen~Ealogy
29-07-11, 13:31
Spoke to Mr. Savage again Ken and as you will have guessed he could not find any image of your particular address. Apparantly most of the buildings/properties, which were on that part of the high street and fell between the numbers of 61 - 79 Norwodd High Street, have now been taken over by a branch of Travis Perkins, the builders merchants.........which is ironic really, as my youngest son has worked for them for the past 8 years, as a driver.

He also mentioned googling Lambeth Landmark......but I see from a thread above you are familiar with it all ready.
He did mention that if you put Norwood high st in the search box it would probably throw up a half dozen images of the lower end, odd numbers. Maybe you have all ready tried that too?

One point of his research into this over the past couple of days, he was anxious to relate was that back in 1892 Number 77, where you lived, had been a Cat's meat dealer or cat food business, which he discovered in a Trade/Town Directory. The proprieter was one Robert Dove.

Sadly that's all I have been able to discover Ken........but never say never, something may turn up yet.

That's what I keep telling myself in my hunt for pics of my paternal grandparents.

Ken
30-07-11, 10:58
Hello Joy

Yes, seen this and although very interesting, sadly it can't help with a photo (as far as i can see)

Kind regards

Ken

Ken
30-07-11, 11:17
Hello Jen

Thank you very much for trying to help me I think your very kind in doing it, I have used the Lambeth Landmark that you speak of and although it’s a great place for photos of Norwood sadly not 77.

Yes your right about it being pulled down (in 1966 it was) and the timber yard was put up some time later but it wasn’t Travis Perkins at first, we had to move from 77 to Clive Road at that time.

I have also tried the “search box” thing but no luck for my old house, and your right about the “Cats meat man” my mum and dad moved there in about 1939 taking over the house from some of the Doves family, but they (the Doves) moved next door to number 75 and still run the cats meat trade from there for a few years.

Once again thank you Jen and if I can be of help to you (in any brick walls you may have come up to) please just ask.

Kind regards

Ken