West Norwood SE London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographs: West Norwood SE London

Does anyone have any old photos of West Norwood High Street from the 1950’s/1960’s that might show my old house number 77 next door to Trings the corn chandler come grocers.

I mean personal type photos that you may have in your possession not the ones I can find on the net or in books and the like or the ones at the local archives centres; I have all them or have seen them.

I would be most grateful for a copy if you have any, I lived there for 18 years and never took a photo (shame on me) sadly the properties are no longer there, they were pulled down in 1966 when we were made to move out.

Sorry Ken, no photos, but I did go to West Norwood Girls school in Gypsy Road in 1951. I lived in Herne Hill.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Hi Stella

I too went to gypsy road school but it was the infants school and not until I was 5 that was in 1953.

You must have had some journey from Herne Hill to gypsy road, did you walk or was you really posh and got a bus?

Comment

Ken, I was extremely posh and got a bus there and back. One thing I remember about the bus journey was seeing each day the big imposing white building we passed, which was in those days the Jewish Orphanage - wonder what it is used for now. I notice you must be a lot younger than me Ken! LOL

Comment

Just turned 62, not sure that’s young though, as my children all call me the old man or old moaner mainly.

Yes I remember the Jewish Orphanage, many’s the time we were chased by the boys from there after we made fun of them, never got us though, well not me anyway.

Ken

Comment

Well I have the big 70 this year Ken. I wonder if that lovely Jewish orphanage building is still there and, if so, what it is used for now. May go and 'Google' it later.

Comment

Just Googled the orphanage - it has been pulled down. Such a shame, it was a very impressive looking building too.

Comment

Hi Stella

Google up “Lambeth Landmark” look on the right hand side and under places pick out West Norwood then click on images and have a nice long look at the photos on there, I think there is one or two of the Jewish Orphanage on there.

You can also look see what they have for Herne Hill as well.

Comment

Thanks Ken, I'll have a play on that site later today. Thank you.

Comment

You may already have seen this
                    Browse our selection of vintage and retro black & white photographs of West Norwood, along with old maps, local history books, and fascinating memories that our visitors have contributed. All our photos and maps are available to buy in a wide range of product formats, including framed prints, canvas prints and photo gifts including tea towels, personalised mugs, jigsaws, tableware, cushion covers and as customised calendars.
                    Joy

Comment

Yes seen all them thank you Joy

Comment

Had a look at Lambeth Landmark Ken - great photos on there of Herne Hill - loads of Brockwell Park where I used to play when I was a child, plus the Lido there. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hi Ken, born in Eden Rd, W. Norwood 1939, went to Gipsy Rd, School c1952. Had lots of Jewish Ophanage school mates ! Sorry no photo's only memories.
                          Cant recall 77 High St, but I worked when left school for Nye the Builder in High St. Used Crisp Bros cycle shop, Live on the Bloomhall Estc1940's, Etc, Etc,.
                          Must chat with Stella. Regards Bob now in Bedfordshire

Comment

Hi there Norwood. I lived in Herne Hill - just off Milkwood Road from 1948 until I went to do nurse training in Croydon in 1958. Been living here on the East coast now for 39 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Does anyone have any old photos of West Norwood High Street from the 1950’s/1960’s that might show my old house number 77 next door to Trings the corn chandler come grocers.

I mean personal type photos that you may have in your possession not the ones I can find on the net or in books and the like or the ones at the local archives centres; I have all them or have seen them.

I would be most grateful for a copy if you have any, I lived there for 18 years and never took a photo (shame on me) sadly the properties are no longer there, they were pulled down in 1966 when we were made to move out.

I am presently in Upper Norwood Ken, and our local library usually has a number of old postcards of Norwood. I could always ask there if they know of any local photographic records next time I'm passing.
                              Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Ken, mlet me know if you recieve this ? I have sent others but not shown ? Bob

Comment

Thanks Stella, was it Gipsy Road School you went to ? Can you remember teachers names ? I only recall Osbourn, and Bertwhistle ? I knew many Jewish children from the Ophanage I often wonder what happened to them. Were you evacuated during WW2 ? Bob

Comment

Hi Norwood. Yes, it was the Gipsy Road school - didn't really like it much there and do remember Osbourn. During WW2, I was living in Yorkshire (born there), so no, wasn't evacuated thank goodness. I also knew a few Jewish orphans and also wonder what became of them.

Comment

Hello Bob

"Yes" got these OK many thanks.

Ken

Comment

Hello Jen

That would be nice of you, i do understand that they have some cabinets in that libarey that may have photos in, BUT i would only be interested in the one(s) that show 77 Norwood High Street, as i have most (or seen most) of the High Street views.

Regards

Ken

Comment

Working...
                                        X