Reasearching the name Tollerfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasearching the name Tollerfield

Just thought I would offer some advice to anyone researching the name Tollerfield.

In the past I have got stuck and spent numerous hours trying to find the name ‘Tollerfield’ on a census. If this has also happened to you, then you might find this useful.

I have found that sometimes the name has been listed as Sollerfield, Totterfield, and even Sotterfield.

It is worth trying all sorts of variations.

Hope this helps someone and saves him or her hours of searching.

I am however stuck at John Tollerfield born 1791 in Corfe Castle, Dorset. I know he married someone called Elizabeth ?? born 1796 in Warmwell, Dorset and they had 2 children as far as I know, Mary born 15 April 1821 & John born 20 April 1824 both in Langton Maltravers, Dorset.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Kaz

Have you tried names beginning with F? A script capital T can sometimes look like an F.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Also, did you know that on Ancestry you can now use an ? at the beginning OR the end of a name (not both ends though) and you can also use ??? or *** instead of chosen letters in the middle.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The IGI has a submitted entry for the baptism in 1826 of John Gover Tollerfield, parents James and Jane, at Langton Matravers, Dorset. Submitted entries aren't always reliable, but it might be worth looking into in case the families are connected.

Comment

Langton Maltravers baptisms are online, on the Dorset OPC site, but there don't seem to be any Tollerfields in the 1800-1841 period:

Comment

Can't see on obvious marriage for John and Elizabeth or baptisms for the children in Pallot's marriage index or the BIVRI baptisms and marriages on Ancestry.

Comment

Have you checked for likely variations of the name "Tollerfield"?

If you enter just "TOLL*", ANcestry will find all names starting with "Toll". I notice that there's "Tollyfield" for instance, and "Tollefield" (had been transcribed as FOLLEFIELD). I'd be astonished if those names were not interchangeable in the early years, where spelling was not considered very significant: it was whatever the recording person (Registrar, Clergyman...) thought it sounded like. (That explains why I have multiple versions of names in my footer.)

EDIT: In fact I've just found them in 1851 ( HO107/1856 fo 543 p 11) in Moreton with the surname rendered as: TOLLIFIELD
              John, 60 b Corfe Castle
              Elizabeth, 58, b Warmwell
              John, 27, b Langton

And you'll need to be aware that the second part of that place name (in the various places where it applies) appears to be Matravers - no "l" in the first syllable in the place where you'd expect it to be.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-03-10, 22:05.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This might be the family in 1841 - in Moreton: HO107/278/15 fo 6 p 6
                TOLLERFIELD
                John, 50+
                Elizabeth 45+
                Job 14
                Elizabeth 10

I think it probably is the right family because there's a HARVEY family nearby with a similar set of names/ages as can be found in 1851 near the "definite" match.

EDIT:
                In 1851, Job is with wife, Charlotte, not far away ( HO107/1856 fo 544 p 12). They appear to have been married in 1850, in the Dorchester district.
                In 1861, Job & Charlotte have been transcribed (understandably - very challenging script) as POLLIFIELD. In Broadmayne.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-03-10, 22:16.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Baptism.

25th Dec, 1791
                  John TOLLIFIELD
                  Parents names: son of John & Elizabeth
                  Place: Corfe Castle, Dorset

Possible marriage

John Toleyfield
                  Elizabeth Seymer

10th August, 1783
                  Studland

Witnesses
                  Joseph Stickland
                  Robert White
                  Last edited by SuffolkSue; 07-03-10, 22:06.

Comment

This might be John senr in Moreton in 1861: RG9/1347 fo 18 p 8
                    age 73
                    born Woole, Dorset
                    a widowed lodger

Christine

Comment

Thank you so much everyone, for your replies.
                      I will look again using the information you have all given me and see if I can find anything.
                      I will keep you informed.
                      Thanks again
                      Karen

Comment

Hiya Kaz........I have PM`d you....four Tollerfield in a familytree from Dorset....allan
                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Karen,

How's your research going ? Have you managed to get further back than John and Elizabeth in 1791 yet ?

I have a hypothesis that John's parents were John (b. 1762) and Elizabeth (b.1762) SEAMER/SEYMER, but am still looking to confirm this. IF it is true, then I think they may have had another son - James (b.1804) who went on to marry Jane GOVER.

Any further info on this would be very interesting.

Sadly I still haven't linked this line to my own ... although I'm please that the Yorks line to which your family belong is now firmly routed in Dorset; which puts us in the same vicinity !

Best wishes,

Paul

Comment

Several hit also for the surname at ..

Click on "directories",hits are highlighted in yellow.

Comment

Hi Paul

I wish I knew for certain that James was their son because I have found quite a few Births, Deaths and Marriages that are connection to James and Jane (nee Gover) Tollerfield and would love to be able to link them with my tree but I will not do this until I am sure.
                              I will let you know if and when I find out any more information and I hope you will do the same. It is so frustrating when you get stuck but I will not let it beat me. Lol

Take care

Karen

Originally posted by Tollersearcher View Post
                              Hi Karen,

How's your research going ? Have you managed to get further back than John and Elizabeth in 1791 yet ?

I have a hypothesis that John's parents were John (b. 1762) and Elizabeth (b.1762) SEAMER/SEYMER, but am still looking to confirm this. IF it is true, then I think they may have had another son - James (b.1804) who went on to marry Jane GOVER.

Any further info on this would be very interesting.

Sadly I still haven't linked this line to my own ... although I'm please that the Yorks line to which your family belong is now firmly routed in Dorset; which puts us in the same vicinity !

Best wishes,

Paul

Comment

Catching up ...

Hi karen,

Are you still researching the Tollerfield family name ? Did you get any further with this puzzle ?

Best wishes,

Paul

Originally posted by kazog61 View Post
                                Hi Paul

I wish I knew for certain that James was their son because I have found quite a few Births, Deaths and Marriages that are connection to James and Jane (nee Gover) Tollerfield and would love to be able to link them with my tree but I will not do this until I am sure.
                                I will let you know if and when I find out any more information and I hope you will do the same. It is so frustrating when you get stuck but I will not let it beat me. Lol

Take care

Karen

Comment

Paul,

it looks like Karen hasn't been onsite for quite some time, it might be better to send her a PM [private message] via this site, [click on her username on left and select 'private message' from drop down box]
                                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-06-13, 16:14.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                  X