Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I am trying to find any information regarding a James (Gem) Carney a bare knuckle boxer. Born 5/11/ 1851 -2 Birmingham. Died 1941 London. These dates I obtained from his boxing records including all his fights in England and America, but no personal details. i.e Marriage etc. I have obtained one birth certificate the nearest to his birthdate showing 20/10/1856. His mothers name being Mary Roach this does not help me. I have turned up his death date on ancestry but it shows his age as 80 (Brentford) which puts his birth as 1861.I am now completely confused so if any one can help with any information I will be extremely grateful. Thank you

Only one James Carney born in Birmingham appears on 1911 census, but he is in Glamorganshire as a labourer (birth 1863)

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Have you got the death certificate and if so what relationship is the informant? I ask this because death certificate information is only as good as the knowledge of the person reporting it - they do not have to produce a birth certificate to prove what they are saying so the age could be well out.

What is James Carney's father's name on the birth cert you have? and what is his occupation?

I think you did have another thread with this topic a while ago - perhaps one of the moderators please join it up to this one so we can see what was found before?
      Margaret

Comment

Previous thread was http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ghlight=carney

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I've found a short biography of him in the International Boxing Hall of Fame, which helps a bit, although they don't say what their source is for the dates:

Jem Carney
          Born James Carney in Birmingham, England on November 5, 1856 to Irish parents. ...
          Carney retired after the Burge fight [1891[ and became a bodyguard for millionaire George Alexander Baird. He died on September 8, 1941 in London.

Baird (who sounds like a nasty piece of work from what I've read about him on Google) was an amateur jockey and had his own racing establishment at Bedford Lodge, Newmarket.

In 1901, a James Carney, aged 43, single, born in Birmingham, occupation "independent", is living in Newmarket, apparently as a visitor in the household of racehorse trainer George Chaloner (or Chawner?).
          Although Baird doesn't seem to be around, I would think this is pretty certain to be Jem Carney.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-03-10, 19:43.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. The information is very interesting.
            Trevor. I may have to rule this out as the birth date is way out.
            Margaretmarch. His father on this BC is Michael CARNAY a bricklayers labourer. I tried for a BC for
            5 Nov 1856 but the register office could not find anything.
            Mary Italy. Your reply was very helpful. I did now know about his last fight and retirement or his address in Newmarket. I did know about G. A. Baird a young lady named Maoni sent it to me but yours did contain more items.
            I am still confused about his birthdate and as to his married status. Perhaps someone may see this
            who knows something. The only connection I have with him is that his name has been passed on down the Grogan family as a famous boxer but I have no older relatives left to ask for any info.
            I am 83 years old and the last one to know anything about him. I shall continue with my search and hope for the best. I wish you all the best and have a good week Harry

Comment

Harry,
              On your previous thread I gave this record for James Carney birth:- 1856 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Birmingham (1837-1924) County: Warwickshire Volume: 6d Page: 103. Did you ask the register office to look at that one for you? It would fit with a birthday of 5 November.
              Here is James in 1861 with Michael and Mary as parents RG9; Piece: 2142; Folio: 93; Page: 38 and he seems to have a sister Mary so perhaps looking for her and any of her descendants might be the answer.
              Margaret

Comment

I found these requests
                1. Does anyone have any information on my great grandfather John "Jim" Carney, who won the Lonsdale Belt in the 1920's. He was the Lightweight Champion of the North. If anyone has any information or pictures of him, he was from Middlesbrough, please let me know.
                Hannah - London

2. We'd like to communicate with anyone related to Jimmy Carney.
                Eldon - Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.

On this site http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/...e.shtml?page=2
                Might be worth getting in touch to see why they are interested and if they are related.
                Margaret

Comment

Harry

Was there a full address on the only birth cert you've across for him that shows his parents as being Michael Carna(e)y and Mary formeley Roach.
                  WendyP

Comment

I think I have now found a real potential for your James Carney with parents being Michael and Mary Carney nee Roach

in the 1861 census they have been transcribed as KERNEY

Michael Kerney 1831 Ireland
                    Mary Kerney 1833 Ireland
                    James Kerney 1857 Birmingham
                    John Kerney 1859 Birmingham
                    Thomas Roch 1840 Ireland
                    Edward Roch 1843 Ireland

There is a possible marriage for a Michael KEARNEY and Mary Roache in Birmingham 1852

But again it's only a possible....
                    WendyP

Comment

Hello Harry - Try calling http://www.hounslow.info/parks/cemeteries/index.htm

If he died in Brentford, he might have also been buried in the area..

The office is open Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm, excluding Public Holidays, Christmas and New Year.

The Cemeteries Officer
                      Treaty Centre
                      High Street
                      Hounslow
                      TW7 6LS

Tel 0845 456 2853
                      Fax 0845 456 2978

They also have a Family History centre -
                      This website is for sale! hounslow.info is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hounslow.info has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

and give Brentford Library a call - they might be able to find info for you in the local press etc etc - although they might have the same resources as the Family History centre..

Brentford Library
                      Boston Manor Road, TW8 8DW
                      Tel: 020 8560 8801
                      Fax: 020 8560 2150

It would be useful to apply for the death cert...which will give an address, and that might provide further clues as well..perhaps the informant was a relation or maybe a boxing pal..
                      Last edited by naomiatt; 07-03-10, 23:04.

Comment

WendyP. Thank you for your reply. Yes there was an address it is 21 Court, Coleshill Street, Birmingham. his parents shown as Michael Carnay and Mary Roach. date of birth 20 Oct 1856, this may not be the right certificate.
                        Your second reply. I have come across the name spelt Kerney and even Karney. I am still pursuing this. I will also check the marriage dates you sent. Harry

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt. I might give it a go and see what they know. Harry

Comment

Hi Harry

The address that the Kerney were living at on the 1861 census was 7, Court 15 Coleshill Street, Birmingham. Just thought I'd check and let you know if you dont have access to the census
                            WendyP

Comment

Working...
                            X