X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a long shot

Hi Everyone

As the title says this is a "bit of a long shot"

I am wondering if anyone can help with a place name near Haltwhistle?

I am researching the Ridley's from that area and the one I am interested in is a William Ridley born Aug 3 1778. I have the details from the Bishops Transcripts and they state that this William was born at "Bankhead”.

I have researched "Bankhead" and the only one that I can find is near Bardon Mill which is a few miles away from Haltwhistle and is out of contention (at the moment) although back in the 1700's it was part of the Haltwhistle Parish

The only other reference that I can find for Bankhead is on another family tree, "The Hudspiths" and one of the Hudspiths in that tree was born at "Bankhead, Lambley" which is the right area for the William Ridley who I am researching. He was born at "Coanwood" which is less that a mile from Lambley.

I have contacted the owner of the tree but they cannot shed any light or proof of a Bankhead,Lambley, strange really as they have it published.

Current OS maps show no reference to any Bankhead, Lambley.

This is the "long shot” I was wondering if any member could help with pinning down a Bankhead at Lambley? Has anyone got an old map of that area with it on? Or even reference through there own research.

I am up against the “brick wall” until I can sort this one out. As I say bit of a long shot

Mal

Well Bankhead at Haltwhistle definitely comes up when you google. This is the map -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ed=0CAwQtQMwAA
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If Bankhead was part of Bardon Mill, which was in turn (at that time) part of Haltwistle parish I would say it probably is that one.

I have similar experience of two large parishes (Arthuret in Cumberland and Ecclesfield Yorkshire.) The parishes were so large and the population so widespread that almost EVERY entry in the record has a place eg "John Smith, Bankhead, buried". Some of the places were more than 5 miles from the parish church where the event took place.

Anne

PS I've looked at my OS maps on computer and the 'find' brings up literally dozens of 'Bankheads'. The nearest is the one at Bardon Mill. Also even if Lambley was correct it is no nearer Haltwistle than Bardon Mill. Was Lambley in Haltwistle parish too?
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 06-03-10, 12:50.

Comment

There are several sites where you can view historical maps (e.g. O.S. maps) online - and (sometimes) buy copies.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have doubt that the Bardon Mill "Bankhead" is the one I am looking for, the reason for this is that as I said in my previous post the Hudspith family tree that I mentioned clearly has a Bankhead, Lambley, the creator of the tree obviously had some knowledge or proof of Bankhead Lambley. I think the person who I contacted may have the info but is unwilling or cannot help, but I either have to prove his facts right or wrong.

This is the line from the tree:-Ann HUDSPITH, b. 1804 Hirdley Bankhead, Lambley, Northumberland, d. 1843 Alston, Cumberland

There are records of Hirdley Bank, but not Hirdley Bankhead. (old-maps.co.uk)

William clearly states he was born at Coanwood in some of the censuses.

Lambley is in a different County,Cumberland but literally a stones throw from Coanwood.

There are lot of records of Ridley’s in that area (which is making my search more difficult). There were several at Ashholme next to Hirdley which can be either Lambley or Coanwood confused? so am I

Comment

Working...
          X