Medical query-Rheus baby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical query-Rheus baby?

In 1850's would Rhesus babies (blue babies-blood problems) survive long enough to have their births registered or would they be stillborn?
    Kerri
    Last edited by Kerri from Aus; 06-03-10, 05:10.

I think it depends on the severity if mild the bub will be anaemic if severe the baby maybe still born.

Comment

I don't think the rhesus factor was known about until the 20th century.
      So a "blue baby" in the 1850's was more likely to be the result of some heart/vascular system problem.

(I remember an adult in the 1950's who was a blue baby - I think he eventually died of a heart condition, which today would be dealt with through surgery.)

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this. From oral history a relative had a 1st child OK but apparently several subsequent children died as "blue babies". As the children were illegitimate, I thought I would try to find the others & see if their father's name was recorded.

Comment

Interesting - I've wondered about this before, Kerri.

My gggrandfather was born 8 months after his parents married, then as far as I can make out they had no more children - there are certainly no more baptisms. I have wondered whether there were more who were miscarried/stillborn because they were rhesus-negative but it's not something I know a lot about.

Comment

I am Rhesus negative and the minute my first child was born they injected me with something ??? dont ask me what ,which is supposed to protect you and any future babies, otherwise they told me they could all die .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              I am Rhesus negative and the minute my first child was born they injected me with something ??? dont ask me what ,which is supposed to protect you and any future babies, otherwise they told me they could all die .
              I am Rhesus Negative to when I was pregnant I had the anti-D immunoglobulin injection.

Comment

they gave me mine just after delivery , I remember thinking all that pain I had gone through then some more, and they never even warned me .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  they gave me mine just after delivery , I remember thinking all that pain I had gone through then some more, and they never even warned me .
                  After I had my daughter the hospital checked her blood, if she was positive I would of had to have another Anti D injection.

Comment

I wonder if thats what they did to her then ???

Comment

I don't think the rhesus factor was known about until the 20th century.
                      So a "blue baby" in the 1850's was more likely to be the result of some heart/vascular system problem.
                      I'm not confident that that logic works - or not in the way you have worded it.

The cause for a "blue baby" would remain the same, whether or not people understood the cause correctly. They might use different words to describe what they found out - and "rhesus factor" wouldn't form part of that in those days, even if it were the real underlying cause of death.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm rhesus-negative but my babies were born in the 60's before we had the injection.

When the baby was born a sample of blood was taken from the cord and checked I assume for antibodies.
                        Each pregnancy you have, you build up antibodies, so by the third child it becomes dangerous.
                        However, it now seems they have solved it by giving the mother the anti D injection.

June

Comment

I had mine in the 60s and had the jab , mind you I dont look it lol

Comment

I am Rhesus negative and had my babies in the 60s and never received the jab, I now have antibodies in my blood all my children were fine. One of my cousins was a " blue baby" born early fifties and he needed blood transfusions not sure why.am guessing anaemia probs.

Comment

I agree with Christine. In the 1850s a baby would be "blue" because it was dead or at least had really bad circulation/breathing problems. Lots of conditions could cause this, not just the rhesus factor (not sure how common that is). Even today stillborn babies are born dead without a cause always being found.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Think they gave the baby Vitamin K injection.

I'm Rhesus neg - OH Rhesus pos - eldest and youngest are Rhesus neg - middle two Rhesus pos.

I got the Anti D jab too

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

This thread brings me in mind of something we got in the "Psychology for dummies" level course at university back in the 70's. I know we were shown a table of inheritance for blood groups and also the eyes/hair colour combos. I was sure I'd kept my notes but I can't find the vital table anywhere.

My question is - if both parents are standard positive normal blood groups, can they have a rhesus negative baby?

Comment

According to this http://www.lisashea.com/lisabase/biology/art14435.html if both parents are + the baby has to be too. If they are both - then so is the baby.
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If both parents have the same gene then the children will get that gene too ie blue eyed parents will always produce blue eyed children. Similarly I know my children's blood group without having them tested. OH and I are both O+ so the children have to be.
                                      Kit

Comment

Just to give you some idea, i was a "blue baby" and my mum told me, i had my blood exchainged for fresh blood, not long after being born. When having my first child, i was told my 3rd could be a "blue baby" hubby was B pos, i am A neg.
                                        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                        X