Donald Anderson help with either a death or emmigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Anderson help with either a death or emmigration

Hi tracing an ancestor Donald McKinnon Anderson (there are a few of the same name in the family) and have his birth and also have him on Scottish censuses up to 1901 then he vanishes. No sign of his death or his wife or their children. I am now wondering if he moved to England or abroad.

His date of birth was 25/9/1869 in Port Glasgow, Renfrew in Scotland. He married an Agnes McPherson in Alloa Clackmannanshire Scotland on 26/2/1897. On the 1901 census he was living in Alloa with an occupation as a baker (his occupation is always listed as a baker).

They have 2 twin boys Donald McKinnon Anderson and Charles McPherson Anderson who were born on 20/6/1898.

I have checked every death via Scotlands People from 1901 onwards looking for any of the two parents or children but cannot find any of them.

My only conclusion is that they moved away from Scotland after 1901. Unfortunately the 1911 Scottish census has not been released yet so cannot check that.

Would anyone be able to check the 1911 English census in case they have moved to England.

Also is there any site that can check emmigration records to see whether they have moved abroad?

I have his parents, brothers and sisters all confirmed and in my file but the trail just stops for them.

As they died after 1855 there must be records of their deaths if they died in Scotland but as I cannot find them I am looking for some help.

Many thanks

Steven

PS Donalds parents were Donald Anderson and Margaret Gourlay
    Last edited by stevie2006; 05-03-10, 23:28.

have pmd you

Comment

Val what can I say thats fantastic news I cannot thank you enough.

The name Donald McKinnon Anderson runs through the family.

The Donald McKinnon Anderson born 1896 served in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and died as a POW in WW1 - luckily some of the members of this forum helped me get a copy of his Service Record as I do not have access to Ancestry. He was born on 31/5/1896 in Alloa to parents David Anderson and Jemima Gilmour and died on 25/7/1918 in Denain Medical Hospital in France as a POW.

The other Donald McKinnon Anderson I have asked for help with in this thread was the brother of David Anderson who was the soldiers father ie they were brothers and uncle and nephew. As I know have other children to search for as I thought they only had 2 children - twin boys Donald McKinnon Anderson (again!!) and Charles McPherson Anderson

That is fantastic that you found out that they emigrated to Canada - any extra information you can find would be amazing.

Thank you

Steven

Comment

Steven look in your inbox

Comment

Thanks to Val I now have a copy of passenger lists showing Donald going by boat to Canada then later followed by his wife and children. Huge thank you Val.

Does anyone know if you can get access to Canadian censuses eg from 1911 - they moved around 1911. Or alternatively where you can find out what Scots go up to when they emigrated to Canada and death records to I can see when they died in Canada?

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Managed to find Donald in the 1911 census in Winnipeg in Canada ya hoo!!!!

Steven

Comment

thats great Steven

Comment

Val the reason I know its him as on the 1911 census its lists his occupation as baker and date moved to Canada was 1911. Also I have worked out that he is lodging with his brother in law William McPherson. On the Scottish 1881 census William is 1 year old and living with his sister Agnes who later married Donald. It says William moved to Canada 1904 but cannot find him on the passenger lists. They are all living in Winnipeg in 1911. Obviously rest of family not there yet as they moved August 1911. If anyone can help find William that would be great.

Is there a way you can save images downloaded from Ancestry so that they won't vanish when my 14 day trial ends? When I save them to my PC they are saved in a way that opens them via Ancestry. My only option would be to copy everything while trial continues.

Thanks

Steven

Comment

yes I realised it was him because of the Baker connection , I am not sure what system you are using but with Vista if I use IE everything I save seems to disappear ,so I use Google Chrome to view the images then right click on them and save them to wherever I want , at least then you have them.

Comment

do you have Williams occupation

Comment

Will have a look for his occupation Val.

Re system I have Windows 7 - I just right click on image and save to desktop but when I try to view it it opens up Ancestry and I am thinking when my membership goes it won't allow me access.

Steven

Comment

ooh I dont know about windows 7 not sure there ?? ask on the computer thread

Comment

Can't make out the occupation Val I am afraid - can make our baker for Donald but for William McPherson it is very unclear - will try the 1901 census on Scotlands People and get back to you.

Steven

Comment

Thanks Val just noticed your email re the 1916 Canadian census (I hadn't received a notification of a PM) - thank you very much for that. Firstly I did not know there was a 1916 census and if I did I wouldn't have though it would be available.

All the family are there which is great to see.

Thank you very much

Steven

Comment

Working...
                            X