Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little poser to start the weekend with!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little poser to start the weekend with!

This should get the grey cells working

I'm now doing some work on my husbands side and our first confirmed sighting on records of his great great grandfather James John Parker is some 1864 marriage banns on LMA here

Subsequent to this he is easily traceable, appearing on later censuses with wife Jane, and is nearly always listed as James J Parker, birthplace often Westminster, sometimes London City. See 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901. However finding him prior to the marriage banns is proving rather more difficult indeed. I've tried various search combinations of James, James John, John, J Parker, JJ Parker etc and am getting nothing. I've also tried for father John (as per banns), and again, nothing.

Given the birth year implied from the banns and later censuses I ordered this certificate:
    Births Jun 1844 (>99%)
    Parker James John Westminster 1 445
    It would seem to be the only feasible entry at all.

On arrival it transpires that this James John has no father listed, though the occupation column is filled in (Hawker of wares on the street). Mother is Charlotte Parker. I've now tried a few searches using Charlotte as a reference too, and once more am hitting a brick wall.

So, my question is this. Can anyone find James John Parker, with or without posible father John or mother Charlotte, prior to 1864, on censuses or bmd registration? Or can you think of any other ways I can try and find this man. Also I'd value your thoughts on whether you think 'John' really was James John's father, or whether the 1844 registration is indeed my man, and therefore whether he might have used any name for the 'father' entry to avoid potential stigma?

Many thanks
    Kate x

Edited to correct wife's name (doh!) and add census refs
    Edited again to correct father's name - I really am a numpty!
    Last edited by Kate P; 05-03-10, 19:03.

Well, I'd say the 2 first names make it more likely he's your man - he wouldn't be the first to invent a father at the altar. On the other hand, with a name like Parker it might just be coincidence...

Are the witness names on the marriage cert any help? Any family members staying with him in later censuses who might help you decide? Could Charlotte have married after his birth so James John would appear with his stepdad's name in a851/1861?

I'm not really helping, am I? :D
    Last edited by Lindsay; 05-03-10, 18:11.

Comment

Just a little bump, would really value a second pair of eyes to fin m James John Parker in 1851 and 1861,

Cheers,
      Kate x

Comment

Working...
      X